Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got a chance to check the new Indians out. The local dealership has been in business for as long as I can remember and was and is a Honda dealership and sell the other lines as well. They are also have the Victory line. When I bought my KP the Vics were mixed in the same showroom as the Japanese models. At that time they had a separate building for the used bikes. Since acquiring the Indian line the 'used' building was converted for the Indian.
First thing I noticed after the initial ogling on the Indians was they pulled the Vics over to the same building as the Indians, separating all of the Polaris bikes from the rest of their stock. I thought that was pretty cool and makes sense to me.
As for the Indian line, what do I choose? The Vintage just looks bad a$$ with the tanned leather and windshield. Its just plain eye candy. The Chieftain just has everything on board. That power windshield is that little extra that makes you say WHAT THE %*^$^$ with a grin. All of the pictures that I have seen just don't show how nice these machines actually look. You current owners should prepare to have their bikes swarmed by people with lots of questions about them. The Vic guys know what I mean.
The only numbered bikes they had left that were not already sold were the 2 Classics. The Classics are nice, but knowing me I would end up putting bags and a windscreen on one anyways so why not get the Vintage or Chieftain from the start. That's what I did with my KP, buying bags, trunk, and other extras.
A few of items that I would want. 1- The mysterious missing backrest. Hope you guys are getting them soon. 2- Stage 1 exhaust although it sounds real nice stock. 3- The lowered seat for the Chieftain that was heated that I was shown. That would get me lower into the bike and I would guess it would feel more like my KP. Had my brother with me and when he heard the price of the seat he about passed out. He had an 07 Heritage and paid over 700 bills for the unheated seat. The heated seat was 500. Do they make that seat for the Vintage? I forgot to ask.
Can we get winter over with already. The dealer will have a ride in April and I can't wait to get in the saddle and get that chance to test ride it. Right now I'm going to wait on the '15 models to see what paint or other changes are made.
Oh, when I do pull the trigger on the Indian, the KP will be parked right next to it.

Happy new year all
Almost forgot- The clutch pull on these Indians are so light compared to the Vics its almost unbelievable.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
10750 said:
As for the Indian line, what do I choose? The Vintage just looks bad a$$ with the tanned leather and windshield. Its just plain eye candy. The Chieftain just has everything on board. That power windshield is that little extra that makes you say WHAT THE %*^$^$ with a grin. All of the pictures that I have seen just don't show how nice these machines actually look. You current owners should prepare to have their bikes swarmed by people with lots of questions about them. The Vic guys know what I mean.

When I was in Sturgis I rode a blue Vintage and said that's the bike for me. As older age starts creeping up on me though I started thinking fairing with all it's conveniences and wound up with a red Chieftain. I also liked the the tighter handling on the Chieftain. It depends - are you a Sunday afternoon rider? Then a Vintage makes sense. If you travel at all the fairing and adjustable windshield are great. This was my first ride with a fairing and it took zero time to get used to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I noticed first thing the light clutch pull on the Indians. I had to get an easy-clutch for my XCT and that helped, but don't need anything for the Chieftain. Almost everywhere I stop, especially at a dealer of any kind, people come out to look at the bike - with almost universal compliments about the engine, fitment and cool amenities.

What's with the accessories? I picked-up the bike on Oct. 18 and purchased backrests and other items. Now they say they'll be in in January. Must be quality control issues.

If you decide to by Indian, you won't regret it. It will compliment your Kingpin nicely in the stable.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
10750 said:
First thing I noticed after the initial ogling on the Indians was they pulled the Vics over to the same building as the Indians, separating all of the Polaris bikes from the rest of their stock. I thought that was pretty cool and makes sense to me.
I talked to a manager at a local dealer and although they have all their bikes lumped in with the Indians under the same roof (at this time), they are building a new site, across the freeway, that will house 4500 sq ft (which is the minimum requirement from Polaris) of show room floor dedicated to nothing but Indians. The Victorys will be displayed next to the Indians but Polaris wants the dealers to leave no mistake when a customer walks in, there are nothing but Indians in a particular area of a dealership. Just one example would be the Indians are displayed on hard wood floors and none of the other bikes would. Another example would be a sign outside, right above a particular entrance that opens to the Indian show room. According to the manager, Polaris is pretty strict about their guidelines for showing their brand. And since there are only two Indian dealerships in Texas, I guess they'll do what Polaris wants.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I really like them all and it's matter of choice and down here in Australia these bikes aren't cheap starting from $29k but they are all nice vintage gets a lot of attention that's for sure . I was amazed how light they felt when I sat on one weighing @800 pounds I thought it would of been a lot heavier than it looks

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I did a test ride back in September I think? As soon as I got off the bike I bought a Blue Chieftain. Had back surgery before it came in so I just started riding it a couple weeks ago. The ride is awesome!!! The accessories are finally starting to come in. They say we will have everything by the end of January. I am pretty excited to see what Polaris will do next! I also have a 08 Arlen Ness King Pin that sits next to the Indian!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
5420 said:
Unless you're running synthetic oil, then black is faster~! :)
the new Indian stage 1 two tone color is faster more HP and TQ add the tomahawk gremlin bell and adds TQ below 2500 even more.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
11222 said:
the new Indian stage 1 two tone color is faster more HP and TQ add the tomahawk gremlin bell and adds TQ below 2500 even more.
Nah, it really has more to do with the oil and how much air you run in your tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
11222 said:
I have three Indians and a sidecar - all red. Funny. I never really cared for red vehicles!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts