Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Finally - Georgia's Tail of the Dragon

11K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  scott.stokes.71 
#1 ·
Finally got to ride Georgia's "Tail of the Dragon" last weekend. The weather was absolutely perfect for the ride and the scenery was great with the change of color. I don't have a GoPro (yet) so only have pictures from when we stopped for breaks. Plan a fall trip if you can!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice!!! Thanks for sharing. Also, thanks to Eskimo Quinn for the maps. More country in the southeast that I can put on my bucket list.

#13 ·
Perhaps you speed read too quickly? For lack of another name, it is often called Georgia's Tail of the Dragon, although the proper name is the Suches Loop - as stated in posts above. See: Georgia's Dragon - The Suches Loop
Perhaps, I have been to N Georgia three times staying in Hiawassee twice and Cleveland once. Never heard that Dragon term and I rode through Suches. I apologize if I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

#17 ·
Since 1981 I have been riding the Tail of the Dragon. Since 1993, or so, it has gotten too popular - with both bikes and cars. Idiot sport bike riders who don't know how to handle a turn and over crossing over into your lane, sports cars that think they are driving the LeManns, also crossing over into your lane, etc.

All resulting in a VERY unpleasant experience for me since around 1998. I quit riding the "badge of honor road". Now if you want a thrilling and technically challenging road that, IMHO, is superior to the Tail, try the

Back of the Dragon - "Eleven? . . . . . try thirty-two!"

But . . . . if you have never ridden the Tail of the Dragon, by all means do it. Just seriously avoid weekends. Ride week days and avoid afternoons. Between 8 and Noon have been my best experiences (on a week day).

#18 ·
Eskimo Quinn - We rode the first map you posted and part of the second as well. I can't think of a way for the weather to have been any better. Sunny and dry, about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

But . . . . if you have never ridden the Tail of the Dragon, by all means do it. Just seriously avoid weekends. Ride week days and avoid afternoons. Between 8 and Noon have been my best experiences (on a week day).
I've been told the same thing by many a rider here in Georgia. The "real" tail of the dragon will probably be something for us to accomplish next year... during the week. Early in the day. Ditto for US-64 east from Franklin to Highlands in N.C. I've been through there in the car on a long trip, but seriously want to do it on the bike.

Surprisingly last weekend, there was almost no traffic on Georgia's tail, which made it that much more enjoyable. We did have one sport bike go through us (same direction) but he was pretty patient and waited to get through. TWO in Suches was crammed, so I thought we would be in traffic, but no such bad luck :)

#19 ·
Well, I'll check that off my bucket list, but I might go back. I rode the Suches loop today (sunny and 68=great!). That was indeed one of best rides I've ridden in the Appalachians Mountains. By looking at the map, there are plenty more roads to ride in that beautiful area. Dahlonega and Helen are very nice towns. If you get the opportunity to ride in this area, don't pass it up. Better yet, make an opportunity...................

Thanks to all for the info you provided.

Reactions: Apache Trail
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.