Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rider
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent an e-mail to Indian about not being able to find a replacement filter (#5415825) for the Air intake (#2881779-156). Received a reply stating that they are not available on-line. I would have to order one through my dealer and then I could either pick it up or have the dealer ship it to me. At $65.00 I would then have to pay for shipping since I'm 60 miles from the dealer. Seems like everything is about supporting the dealer instead of the customer. Makes we wonder why I don't sell the bike.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
You can wash and reuse the one you got a couple times if you haven't already done so and if it's not soaked by oil getting up on it.

Maybe High plains rider was taking your lunch spot into consideration when jotting the mileage down. 5mi off the road and 5 back onto the hwy.

You SHOULD support your dealer. If you don't and more people opt not to. Then the dealer shuts down and then you got something else to complain about. There not being a dealer near you!

You have a nice motorcycle you bought to ride. Ride to the dealership. 2hrs on a bike isn't much. I easily do that on an afternoon just because I feel like I need to get out on the bike.

The service and service parts and needing to get to the dealer should have been something you thought about when buying the vehicle.

But perhaps you're right. Maybe you should sell your bike. If this is such an issue with you.

Edit: You might give Cheapcycleparts.com a try, to see if they have filters they can ship to you since it seems like you don't like riding your scoot very far at all.

I used to have a customer that lived an hour from my shop and he always complained about riding over. I told him the same thing. He should have considered that on his way to the dealership to buy his ROADMASTER. One of the best touring bikes on the road. Meant to go long distances! It made everyone at the dealership laugh and scratch their heads.

·
Rider
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try to support my dealer when I can. I do a lot of my own maintenance though. The problem I have is that people buy an Indian Air Intake for $520. and then 2 yrs. later there still isn't an easily available filter for it.
Two years ago I purchased the Stage 1 Air Intake and the Mufflers from cheap cycle parts. The dealer wouldn't budge on the price. I took the bike to the dealer for a flash using the 2 cal. cards. The dealer was upset that I bought on-line. He said I shouldn't have had the option of buying other than a dealer. Back then it was ok. Now the dealers have a monopoly. He flashed the bike and then he said he was keeping the cards. He said if I needed another flash that they would have my cards on file. If I would of had a phone I would have called the police. So dealers not only have a monopoly on some things, mine is also a thief.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Getting a filter from your dealership seems easy enough.

It's really crappy they stole your calibration card. You shouldn't have let them do that. The one they used wouldn't be any good to you or anyone else. It's trash. The other card not used though, should have been returned to you. As they only needed one card to calibrate both items they installed. Technically they are keeping $100+ of yours. Those cards ain't cheap!

When I was at the dealer, we hated when people bought online too. But we can't stop them and still helped them with the install or at least the calibration.

·
Rider
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on a rant and I've settled down. I'm just trying to make a point.
The dealer and Indian now have a policy of must buy and dealer must install policy on these 2 items. I've always worked on my 2003 truck and 2014 car. They've only been at the dealership for recalls. I've always been able to buy parts from whoever has the best price.

I'd like to purchase some Indian specialty tools and again Indian and the dealers have a monopoly on these for a price 2-3 times over a competitive price.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I was on a rant and I've settled down. I'm just trying to make a point.
The dealer and Indian now have a policy of must buy and dealer must install policy on these 2 items. I've always worked on my 2003 truck and 2014 car. They've only been at the dealership for recalls. I've always been able to buy parts from whoever has the best price.

I'd like to purchase some Indian specialty tools and again Indian and the dealers have a monopoly on these for a price 2-3 times over a competitive price.
I don't think it is Indian...I think it is your dealer. I have never had any issue with buying parts (and I bought the Stage 1 HP intake) from the dealer and installing them myself.

·
Rider
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look at the Indian website. Under accessories--Air Intake and Exhaust it states dealer item and installation.

·
Rider
1,071 Posts
Sturgis is my nearest dealer, 200 miles away, they encourage me to buy parts from them whenever possible, they offer a Rewards Program on purchases I make through them. Last Fall when I upgraded the Chieftain I spent over $2,500 in parts and service. Last month, Wiley from Sturgis Indian called to let me know the rewards I earned needed to be spent by two days from his call, I didn't need anything as far as parts or service, so I asked him to spend my $130 rewards on a hat and some shirts, he even asked my favorite color and we talked for about 10 minutes about other things as well, very cool program they have at Sturgis, I go there whenever I can and support my dealership! =)

Three days ago, I bought 2 oil plug washer for TS111, to do an oil change soon when I bring the Chieftain out of storage, cost was $7, I earned $5 in Rewards, what's not to love about that?

SturgisSwagg.jpeg

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
Sent an e-mail to Indian about not being able to find a replacement filter (#5415825) for the Air intake (#2881779-156). Received a reply stating that they are not available on-line. I would have to order one through my dealer and then I could either pick it up or have the dealer ship it to me. At $65.00 I would then have to pay for shipping since I'm 60 miles from the dealer. Seems like everything is about supporting the dealer instead of the customer. Makes we wonder why I don't sell the bike.
Did you check Cheap Cycle Parts? If they don’t have it, I’d sell the bike.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Did you check Cheap Cycle Parts? If they don’t have it, I’d sell the bike.
Cheap cycle parts actually wont have it as they only seem to have stock parts and don't carry accessory parts and replacements.

If it didn't come stock on the bike, they aren't going to have it.

·
Rider
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked cheapcycleparts.com as well as about 20 other places. No one has it.
Sturgis is my nearest dealer, 200 miles away, they encourage me to buy parts from them whenever possible, they offer a Rewards Program on purchases I make through them. Last Fall when I upgraded the Chieftain I spent over $2,500 in parts and service. Last month, Wiley from Sturgis Indian called to let me know the rewards I earned needed to be spent by two days from his call, I didn't need anything as far as parts or service, so I asked him to spend my $130 rewards on a hat and some shirts, he even asked my favorite color and we talked for about 10 minutes about other things as well, very cool program they have at Sturgis, I go there whenever I can and support my dealership! =)

Three days ago, I bought 2 oil plug washer for TS111, to do an oil change soon when I bring the Chieftain out of storage, cost was $7, I earned $5 in Rewards, what's not to love about that?

View attachment 578944
Are you saying you spent $7 on 2 copper washers? If you did, then I'm saying this price is the problem.

·
Rider
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheap cycle parts actually wont have it as they only seem to have stock parts and don't carry accessory parts and replacements.

If it didn't come stock on the bike, they aren't going to have it.
That's true. I also checked to see if they sold any specialty tools. They said not any more.

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
This is one of the issues that’s causing Harley to find themselves in trouble and that’s the asshole at the dealership and high labor rates / costs that vary from place to place. My dealership said no worries if find cams cheaper they will still install with the same rate as if I bough it from them. I bought the calibration card from them and cams in eBay all done under 500 bucks and why I keep going back for oil changes etc. the guy at the dealership should have just charged you labor and no smart mouth. So I can see your frustration.

·
Rider
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is one of the issues that’s causing Harley to find themselves in trouble and that’s the asshole at the dealership and high labor rates / costs that vary from place to place. My dealership said no worries if find cams cheaper they will still install with the same rate as if I bough it from them. I bought the calibration card from them and cams in eBay all done under 500 bucks and why I keep going back for oil changes etc. the guy at the dealership should have just charged you labor and no smart mouth. So I can see your frustration.
They charged $42.00 for the flash and then kept the cards.
There's a whole other story about a Scout that I bought from them and theft, but I don't want to get into it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just purchased the Stage 1 performance air cleaner from Competition Accessories (same Co as cheapcycleparts.com) for $450+. Also purchased a Dynojet PV3 from Fuel Moto to flash the ecu to get the most out of my Springfield Dark Horse.

I did see where the Indian website states must be installed by dealer. Well, my bike is out of the warranty so who gives a [email protected] A monkey can install it. Indian wants you to use the dealer so that the ecu map will be correct for the new A/C. I get that. But I'm flashing with Dynojet so no need to do it at the dealer now. Plus, I have heard the Stage 1 A/C map is very limited whereas the Dynojet will change many areas for the better. Of course, that means more $$.

·
Rider
1,071 Posts
I checked cheapcycleparts.com as well as about 20 other places. No one has it.

Are you saying you spent $7 on 2 copper washers? If you did, then I'm saying this price is the problem.
I didn't mind spending $5 on two copper crush washers and $2 for postage, I will determine going forward what suitable piece can be bought at a local hard ware store.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts