Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips on filling the rear tire of a Roadmaster with air? Lining up the stem etc is a real pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Yes this is a pain. It does help to remove the saddlebags so your spotter doesn't need to nearly get on the ground as well. Thank god for the TPMS read out on ride command so you dont have to check that often.

·
Silver member
4,898 Posts
It goes, roll the bike, squat down, roll the bike, squat down, "Where the **** is that valve stem," roll the bike, squat down, roll the bike, squat down, Oh there it is. Now get your hand just perfectly positioned without cramping your hand due to the closeness of the pulley. Put the air in, check it with a digital gauge, "shit, I am still off by 2lbs, put the air in, check it with a digital gauge. "Whew, it's perfect now." Now go change your clothes, wash your hands, put a band-aid on your smashed finger, and you are finally ready to ride. ;)

I check mine once per month on average since it is sooooooooooooooooooooo much fun!

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Lmao I don’t think it’s that bad at least the stem is facing you. My Electra Glide is way more fun. When I got my Indian and saw the valve stems were facing out my first thought was holy shit after all these years someone finally thought we can do better with this ! I can usually get it in site moving it once

·
Silver member
4,898 Posts
Lmao I don’t think it’s that bad at least the stem is facing you. My Electra Glide is way more fun. When I got my Indian and saw the valve stems were facing out my first thought was holy shit after all these years someone finally thought we can do better with this ! I can usually get it in site moving it once
I was poking fun at my first try to put air in. Like many things, it gets much easier after that first time, LOL.

Reactions: ditchmonger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It goes, roll the bike, squat down, roll the bike, squat down, "Where the **** is that valve stem," roll the bike, squat down, roll the bike, squat down, Oh there it is. Now get your hand just perfectly positioned without cramping your hand due to the closeness of the pulley. Put the air in, check it with a digital gauge, "shit, I am still off by 2lbs, put the air in, check it with a digital gauge. "Whew, it's perfect now." Now go change your clothes, wash your hands, put a band-aid on your smashed finger, and you are finally ready to ride. ;)

I check mine once per month on average since it is sooooooooooooooooooooo much fun!
Exactly what I did today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,032 Posts
I check the air in my Vintage whilst up on the lift. Much easier, plus I save $$ on peroxide band aids.

·
Rider
797 Posts
Use a lift . . . then you can rotate the wheel so the valve stem is at least within sight.

I bought an angled valve stem extension to use only when I'm checking air and it was virtually useless. If someone has good tire pressure gauge that is both accurate and easy to get to the valve stem with - please share! (2015 Vintage here)

·
Silver member
4,898 Posts
I bought this one by Slime. I think it was about 25.00 at Autozone. It works pretty good. You can just push and hold it till it reads the pressure. The only thing odd is I can seem to turn if off. So I always wait till it goes off automatically to check the next tire, which usually it does anyway while I roll my next tire down to access the valve stem...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,115 Posts
I will sometimes ask the wifey if she will get down and watch for the valve stem as I roll the bike forward or back. She will begrudgingly do it, but then I have to listen to her complaints.
I've found out that it's easier to do it myself, and listen to my own complaints.
You must not be married all that long. After 26 years I have a finely tuned wife complaint filter that tunes out most of that. Now toddlers that have developed that high pitch scream when they get upset now that is nails on the chaukboard for me! Uncle Dean does not put up with that at all. Dean

·
Rider
816 Posts
image.jpg
I use this. True value Hardware for about $35.00. Works well.

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Registered
570 Posts
Luckily my tires hold air really well. I just check the pressure with the Ride Command. I did however put a little black marker on the rim where the valve stem is. I used a hole punch for paper on a piece of black electrical tape. Makes it a little easier.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I park mine in a front wheel chock at home. When I want to add air and do a tire visual check, I put my motorcycle jack under the mufflers at the rear of the bike. I use a piece of cross 2" x 4" over the jack and raise the bike off the ground.
Then I can spin the tire and line up the valve stem and do a nail/cut check.

Reactions: CenCalRider

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is what I use. Clamp it on the valve stem and hit the button. Stops at what ever pressure you set it to. Still have to play hide and seek the the valve stem but much easier than messing with an air hose and gauge. And bonus, it is small enough to pack for trips. I checked the pressure against my gauges a couple of times when I first got it and it was right on.

Attachments

·
Rider
816 Posts
I’ve seen several guys post up those little rechargeable set your desired pressure pumps. I bought one last year. Charged it up and put it in my Saddlebag. A month or so later I went to air up a tire that had lost a few psi and the battery crapped out before it could bring up the tire pressure 3 pounds. Sent it straight to the trash can.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,115 Posts
This is what I use. Clamp it on the valve stem and hit the button. Stops at what ever pressure you set it to. Still have to play hide and seek the the valve stem but much easier than messing with an air hose and gauge. And bonus, it is small enough to pack for trips. I checked the pressure against my gauges a couple of times when I first got it and it was right on.
Yeah, I have one of those also. One handy little tool. I use it to add air to my air shock when traveling two up. Works great for that and tires on the bike. Dean

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve seen several guys post up those little rechargeable set your desired pressure pumps. I bought one last year. Charged it up and put it in my Saddlebag. A month or so later I went to air up a tire that had lost a few psi and the battery crapped out before it could bring up the tire pressure 3 pounds. Sent it straight to the trash can.
Sorry to hear that. The one I have seems to have great battery life.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts