Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have the filler panels on your Challenger? The ones that go between the saddlebags and the fender. I was told the detachable passenger backrest would still fit, but when I went to put it on yesterday it did not. It seems the spools have a gray plastic bushing around them that is too large for the backrest to fit over. But, it also looks like the bushing would slide into a hole in the fender exposing the steel post. Am I thinking right or is it just wishful thinking. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same bushings over the spools. My passenger backrest fits over the bushings. It is a snug fit, but it does work.
Is your backrest genuine Indian?

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you are using a backrest from a Cheiftain it does fit. If it’s a backrest from a Chief or Vintage it will not fit.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,297 Posts
Same here. The first time I put the backrest on, I had to push more than I thought I would. There was a "clunk" then it was in properly. The top filler won't fit back on however.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are using a backrest from a Cheiftain it does fit. If it’s a backrest from a Chief or Vintage it will not fit.
Are you sure? I bought one that was listed to fit:
  • 2020, 2017-2018 Chieftain Elite
  • 2020 Roadmaster Dark Horse
  • 2020 Indian Vintage
  • 2020 Indian Chief Dark Horse
  • 2019 Chief Vintage
  • 2019 Chief Dark Horse
  • 2018-2020 Springfield Dark Horse
  • 2018-2020 Roadmaster Elite
  • 2018-2020 Chieftain Classic
  • 2017-2020 Roadmaster
  • 2017-2020 Chieftain Limited
  • 2017-2018 Roadmaster Classic
  • 2016-2020 Springfield
  • 2016-2020 Chieftain Dark Horse
  • 2014-2020 Chieftain
.......and it works fine on my Challenger....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I failed to say I have a Dark Horse model. It normally does not have the fillers from the factory, so I added them. The backrest is/was bought at the same time as the bike from the dealer. It was on the bike when I got it. The fillers were back ordered, when they came in, the dealer discovered I needed new "spools" for the fillers to fit proper. I asked then it this would still allow the backrest to fit and was told yes, so I never thought anything of it. Fast forward a few months, I need the backrest only to find out it's not fitting. Thus the start of this discussion. A gentleman from another site posted a picture of his bushings showing a groove in them for the backrest to fit into, I'm going to check this out when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the answers, i'll let you know how this gets resolved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My base didn't come with fillers ,but I want to add them..can this be done? Also where do I get them..gray..color. thanks for any help.
My base didn't come with fillers ,but I want to add them..can this be done? Also where do I get them..gray..color. thanks for any help.
I assume you can get them from your dealer. That's where I got mine, they are not cheap, I think I paid a little over 1K for the parts ans labor. Obviously you can save on the labor if you want to do it your self. You need to buy the fillers (4 total, 2 top and 2 bottom). An "install kit" and new "spools". Also just so you know you will need to drill holes to mount the lowers to the fender. Hope this helps.

·
Bronze member
1,589 Posts
Bringing up this thread as a new Challenger owner - So the filler panels don't come with the Dark Horse, but they are available? I have tried searching the Indian site and there isn't anything there.

Any help is appreciated. And it's a little surprising that they don't come standard on a $28K bike and those exposed fender bolts really look like ass...

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Challenger Limited has filler panels
Yes, and they pop right off, similar to a side cover. And my Motherwell Products sissybar & luggage rack requires that I pop off the fender covers/filler panels in order to mount the sissybar to the spools.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts

You can also purchase all of the fender closeouts from here > Indian 2020 Motorcycle OEM Parts, Cheap Cycle Parts

Only problem is, they are only available for the Limited models from the manufacturer and no matter what year your "base" model Challenger is, the closeouts won't be available in your particular color if purchased from this web site above however, you could painted them to match your color.

·
Bronze member
1,199 Posts
Yes, and they pop right off, similar to a side cover. And my Motherwell Products sissybar & luggage rack requires that I pop off the fender covers/filler panels in order to mount the sissybar to the spools.
@KYJoe Am I correct that only the left & right top filler brackets need to be removed when using the Motherwell sissy bar and luggage rack?

·
Registered
80 Posts
@KYJoe Am I correct that only the left & right top filler brackets need to be removed when using the Motherwell sissy bar and luggage rack?
That is correct. On each side there is also a small piece at the bottom rear of the fender cover that kind of looks like part of the fender cover when the fender covers are on and that piece is not removable--unless you want to unbolt it--but they do not need to come off.

And another issue came up with the Motherwell unit. Seems all bikes do not have the exact same spools. I couldn't get mine to fit on the spools, talked with "Kelly" at Motherwell, couldn't get a resolution and they didn't know the answer either and suggested I return the rack to them. I sent Kelly some close up pics and he said they had never seen the exact spools that are on my bike. And my Challenger is a 2020 model, maybe the spools have changed since mine was built. ??? Then, I went back out to the garage and with a large rubber mallet I was able to get the rack's mounting points onto the spools. It is a tight fit, no movement in any direction and it looks good on my bike and I want to keep it. So, it is on, I can unlatch the rear mounting points and pivot the rack upwards but if I ever want to remove it I will probably need the rubber mallet again. But I will probably never take the rack off.
IMG_0116.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,589 Posts
Hmmm, so it will be about $600 to get the parts and then have to paint them to match my bike. Seems a little odd that the Limited and DH are the same price, but don't come with the same stuff.

I guess I have been around Polaris motorcycles long to understand that it's just the way they operate...

·
5 years +
178 Posts
Hmmm, so it will be about $600 to get the parts and then have to paint them to match my bike. Seems a little odd that the Limited and DH are the same price, but don't come with the same stuff.

I guess I have been around Polaris motorcycles long to understand that it's just the way they operate...
The reason why they don't come with the same stuff is that they are two different models (styles) If they had all the same stuff there would not be any difference

·
Bronze member
1,589 Posts
The reason why they don't come with the same stuff is that they are two different models (styles) If they had all the same stuff there would not be any difference
I do understand that, but the primary difference is in trim. Limiteds are chrome and DH are well...dark. Something like a filler panel is not a unique difference maker, but it is what it is...

Reactions: Hoseman

·
Premium Member
2021 challenger
81 Posts
I’m hoping some aftermarket company comes out with at least lower fender fillers.. or fender fillers that run under the spools so you can still use whatever backrest or trunk.. or even a wide fender that works with the stock bags.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts