Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us with older big twins have noticed that our war bonnet light on the fender appears brown.
I bought a new lens from Howard Hegler and you can see what I found as I took it apart.
The front of the lens had no sealant on it. Water and dirt was being forced in and causing the plate to rust. The fender was just stained, though. It cleaned up just fine.
I've sanded and primed the plate and will put a coat of chrome paint on it tomorrow. I'll post more pics as I get it back together.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
Let us know how long you get away without a ticket.

Reactions: Dan_Frisbie

·
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The second video has some good info and some not so good.
Light connector (Chieftain)
image.jpeg
It's dead center (below)
image.jpeg

Replace the grommet with one that fits.
image.jpeg
Replace those crappy tie wraps with Adel clamps. It takes a 5mm nut.
image.jpeg
All lit up
image.jpeg

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Let us know how long you get away without a ticket.

I asked that too............on another forum where people had red, blue, and green glass war bonnets. Nobody seemed to know although there is a company openly selling different colors. So maybe its not that bright? I have seen cops give tickets for having blue neon license plate frames on cars. I always thought, red in rear and white/amber in front

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I asked that too............on another forum where people had red, blue, and green glass war bonnets. Nobody seemed to know although there is a company openly selling different colors. So maybe its not that bright? I have seen cops give tickets for having blue neon license plate frames on cars. I always thought, red in rear and white/amber in front
The guy that sells these told me the following.

I'm not a legal expert, you will need to consult the laws in the state in question. You may be correct, most states probably do have a statute regarding the color of lights. I have sold a hundreds (if not thousands) of red and blue and have not heard of anyone getting a ticket. I also know that the chief of police in a large Minnesota city has a red lens on the front of his bike.

Howard D. Hegwer
Howard Hegwer Designs
www.hegwerglass.com

Look here for speific motorcycle laws by state.
State-by-state motorcycle laws

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Might be right but you get some kid out f the academy that wants to headhunt...........your Indian might go away swinging from the back of a wrecker hook. I'm not using a different color when I been eye witness to people getting ( mainly kids ) tickets with green front turn signals and blue license neon plate frames.

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might be right but you get some kid out f the academy that wants to headhunt...........your Indian might go away swinging from the back of a wrecker hook. I'm not using a different color when I been eye witness to people getting ( mainly kids ) tickets with green front turn signals and blue license neon plate frames.
I had green cab lights on my F-250 and a South Carolina Highway Patrolman pulled (a warning) me for improper lights a month or so ago.
I checked and in SC code only white and amber are allowed on the front. Back in the day, it was anything but red on the front and only red on the rear. I think Big Brother (via highway "grants") has forced basically the same rules (amber/white on the front) on all states.

·
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had breakfast with my LEO buds this morning. All of them agreed that the forward blue light is illegal in Florida.
They also all said that if it's not too bright (especially at night), I probably won't have a problem.
I'm sure that depends on a lot of things, but I'm gonna chance it. I think that it's cool as Hell. I also carry a roll of electrical tape just in case...

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I am tempted also. They have a nice frosted white I like.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
Over 400 miles through Florida today, started in the dark, finished at dusk. No funny looks from LEOs (and a BUNCH of them were out).
What's the over and under on how long it takes to get unwanted attention from the police? How many miles should we make it? Now be fair and drive at night.

·
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's the over and under on how long it takes to get unwanted attention from the police? How many miles should we make it? Now be fair and drive at night.
Well, I'm not sure what you're after. I'm not going to change the way I ride because of a light. People asked, all I can tell anyone is what happens.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Personally i think its a lot of worry over nothing... But there are always Barney Fifes out there. But then again i am a fireman and i have a badge. Not sayin that i couldn't get a ticket....State troopers don't give a F&8k Look just be respectful, acknowledge that he or she is just doing there job. Ask for forgiveness and promise to take care of it and you should be good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts