Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Aspire to inspire before you expire
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should only be of interest to Vintage owners...Do your plastic disks that protect the paint on the fender look this discolored? It's obviously from the black bumper on the saddlebags, and everyone I looked at in the dealership has it to some extent. It is very evident on the cream fenders.
I like riding without the bags, but this is a little unsightly. If I get them replaced by the dealer, it will surely come back. Does anyone have a suggestion for an invisible substitute that will not discolor?

IMG_0552.JPG

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
This should only be of interest to Vintage owners...Do your plastic disks that protect the paint on the fender look this discolored? It's obviously from the black bumper on the saddlebags, and everyone I looked at in the dealership has it to some extent. It is very evident on the cream fenders.
I like riding without the bags, but this is a little unsightly. If I get them replaced by the dealer, it will surely come back. Does anyone have a suggestion for an invisible substitute that will not discolor?

View attachment 3356
Hi mate I re-cut new ones from some 3m clear the bags do rub & discolor the original ones

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a new Vintage currently in transit. I should get the bike Monday but the dealer has sent the bags separately. I just noticed that I only have a black bumper on one bag. Do you have bumpers on both bags?

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
I have a new Vintage currently in transit. I should get the bike Monday but the dealer has sent the bags separately. I just noticed that I only have a black bumper on one bag. Do you have bumpers on both bags?
Two on each bag on bottom front and rear,

·
Registered
712 Posts
Maybe you could cover the disc with a piece of clear packing tape cut to size and just change that out from time to time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I haven't tried it yet but thinking of covering the rubber with some sort of of soft material and removing the pads, just a thought..

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
I haven't tried it yet but thinking of covering the rubber with some sort of of soft material and removing the pads, just a thought..
If you use that method dirt particles could get on the material and act like a mini-sander on the paint. I have seen this happen under bug protector bras on autos a lot if dirt gets under them.

·
Registered
712 Posts

View attachment 3356
Looks like the discs got discolored from dirt or something from the rubber bumpers. I had a big thumbprint under mine from the assembly line. I ordered new ones from Indian. I think they were about $2. Took the old ones off - cleaned the fenders and the bumpers - and installed new. Never had a discoloration again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Looks like the discs got discolored from dirt or something from the rubber bumpers. I had a big thumbprint under mine from the assembly line. I ordered new ones from Indian. I think they were about $2. Took the old ones off - cleaned the fenders and the bumpers - and installed new. Never had a discoloration again. Hope this helps.
Get new ones or make new ones & place some 3M film on the back of the black bumper & you will have no more problems with it
CLACK,CLACK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts