Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Been riding my chief classic for 2 months (2000 km).
After about an hour i keep getting a cramped feeling, it feels like im to much forward to be comfortable.

To tell the full story i've taken 4 months before deciding on which bike to buy, ridden the guzzi cali, harley's and Victory.
The Victory fit like a glove and was, what i was going to buy.

The next day at the dealer i fell in love again with the look of my Indian Chief classic, you guess it I bought myself a Gorgeous Indian.
In all the ridereports i had read, the bigger riders mentioned they adjusted and the cramped feeling disappeared after some miles.

For me it seems to get worse, am i a bad adjuster or should i have bought the Vic :(?

Ps English is not my native language so dont mind the grammar.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,752 Posts
I'm a tall guy on a Chieftain. 6ft 3in and 210 lbs. I know what you mean. It took me a few miles to adjust my posture so that I was comfortable and my back wouldn't hurt.
I tend to lean back a bit and use the driver's backrest for support. This allows my arms to extend more without holding up my torso weight. I also moved the highway pegs down and forward so that I'm more stretched out. I have found that I now only use the floorboards to shift and stop.
I'm thinking forward controls would be really comfortable on my bike.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Hi all,
After about an hour i keep getting a cramped feeling, it feels like im to much forward to be comfortable.

To tell the full story i've taken 4 months before deciding on which bike to buy, ridden the guzzi cali, harley's and Victory.

The next day at the dealer i fell in love again with the look of my Indian Chief classic, you guess it I bought myself a Gorgeous Indian.
In all the ridereports i had read, the bigger riders mentioned they adjusted and the cramped feeling disappeared after some miles.

For me it seems to get worse, am i a bad adjuster or should i have bought the Vic :(?

Yes, I had to install highway pegs that bolt onto the front crash bar. This cramped feeling you describe does not go away over time, it only gets worse if you can not stretch out.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hi all,

Short ass like myself do not have that issue.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
With my long monkey arms, I'm installing a type of modified drag bars by Dirty Bird that will let me stretch out a little.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am 6'-2" 230 pounds on a Chieftain. THE highway bars are a given as is an aftermarket seat. I sit about 2 inches behind and almost an inch higher up now. If those numbers are in the legs, that means the seat changes would feel the same to me as a person 6" shorter on the stock seat. The highway bars let me stretch whenever, and just gives more positioning choice while riding. The ability to shift position keeps the blood flowing to one's bottom.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Hi all,

I'm 6'2' and 250 lbs and I don't feel cramped at all, not even with the Mrs. hanging on my back. ;)

Dealer visit second close up.JPG

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am 6'2 I had to change my seat. I went with the Corbin 2" further back and a 1" higher and highway pegs huge difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some more info,
Im 6'1" legs are 3'1" (legs are long for my stature).
Problem is I cant ride with highway bar(pegs) because that would make my pelvis rotate in the saddle and my back cant have that + I dont use a windshield.
It was the reason why I sold my vrod a few years ago.

So the logical path would be reduced handlebar + extended saddle?
In Belgium these things arent as common so no testing.

Now I realize that ive should kept the tenere or gone with a tourer.
Normally I ride 4a5 hours without stops, will have to adjust to the nature off the beast ;).

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I have been considering 2" pull back handle bars. Sometimes I feel like my arms are all the way forward, elbows locked instead of relaxed.

·
Founding member
951 Posts
I was going to buy a Victory Cross Tour. That bike is very roomy. But the Indian was better looking. It helps not having front crash bars. What I hate about the Goldwing is cramped legroom caused by big fairing. I have the beach handlebars a bit shorter reach I think. Only regret not getting Cross Tour is after 300 Miles in a day. But like the attention Indian gets.

·
Founding Member
679 Posts
I was set on a Vic XCT until I rode it. That is one stretched out machine for a guy my size. (5'9", 33 inseam) Ended up with a Vintage and after 1500 miles had 2 inch pullbacks installed- much better for me, still considering driver's backrest. Very happy with bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
For my 37" inseam the vic felt quite natural.
The guzzi was a puzzle short legroom but streched forward handlebar.
I went several times between the Vic and the Indian and prefered the Vic.
Damn those Indians for being so gorgeous.

But had read about you become one withe the bike after time, I know feal thats a hoax.

Man never had this happen to me, 2 months in and already some regrets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts