Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

If you could buy 17" forged wheels for your FTR...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a connection I am working with that makes forged 17" wheels. I started my conversation with them primarily for racing/track day sportbike wheels.

I recently posed the question to them about making 17" direct fit for the FTR, they are willing to look into this possibility.

Wheelset would likely sell for $1895.00 in standard colors black, red, gold, blue (custom color for an upcharge)

·
Registered
780 Posts
hmm - very interesting.
I ticked 'i'd buy' but being Down Under the current currency situation is a factor for me too. At the moment that's a fortune so would be a no.
these would make cornering a more nimble affair?

·
Registered
780 Posts
yeah the tyre limitations are definitely an issue. much prefer proper sports tyres.
cheers :)
Yes I'm keen, funds allowing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't know the weight difference between those and carbon fiber... But you can get 17s currently in carbon fiber. Obviously not cheap, but if they weigh a lot less and you have the $$, it could be a great upgrade.

·
Rider
1,339 Posts
Do they come with the appropriate approvals and certifications? If so what are they? Pricing for a set without any colour would be interesting for those that may wish to get a set hydrographically 3D dipped with a finish and base colour of their choice perhaps?

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
As part of the "loyal opposition", as it were, I ask this: didn't the factory and engineering team design the motorcycle as a whole, including wheel size?

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
There’s always people customizing their bikes...
I get that, and encourage it. Making changes to one's environment is a good thing. I only offer the observation to ask the question of what effect changing wheel size will create and how that will cause a "systemic" change of the motorcycle itself.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
^^ for want of a nail, the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe, the horse was lost. For want of a horse, the battle was lost...I understand that folks want to make changes to their environment, and I'm good with that. I raised the question only to get people to think about the following issue: presumably the engineers designed the frame, steering geometry, etc., based in the wheel size selected. Changing one parameter will potentially affect the whole. Just my 0.002ppm...

·
Rider
1,339 Posts
Hydrodipped wheels??

(you still need a basecolor then)
Yes hydrodip. I know but you get to choose a base colour of your choice. Candy and black were my personal favourites with a carbon finish. Better to get the paint shop to do the lot from scratch rather than have to strip first, saves time and money to get the finish you want. If the wheels have not been through testing protocols and have recognised approvals/certifications you may as well get a cheaper copied set from China.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do they come with the appropriate approvals and certifications? If so what are they? Pricing for a set without any color would be interesting for those that may wish to get a set hydrographically 3D dipped with a finish and base color of their choice perhaps?
certs and approvals yes shouldn't be an issue, not going into all the no color or raw options at this time just trying got get a feel for possible sales.

·
Rider
1,339 Posts
I would 'possibly' be interested in raw only. Don't want the added expenditure of paying for and subsequently stripping a finish I don't want. Like the look and potential practicality of them and will watch this thread with interest. Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As part of the "loyal opposition", as it were, I ask this: didn't the factory and engineering team design the motorcycle as a whole, including wheel size?
To answer your question... yes to make it look like a flat track bike or 'street tracker' however with 19" F and 18" R wheels the tire options SUCK.

Changing both front and rear and doing some minor suspension adjustments should keep geometry in check and may actually improve geometry for track day duty slightly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ for want of a nail, the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe, the horse was lost. For want of a horse, the battle was lost...I understand that folks want to make changes to their environment, and I'm good with that. I raised the question only to get people to think about the following issue: presumably the engineers designed the frame, steering geometry, etc., based in the wheel size selected. Changing one parameter will potentially affect the whole. Just my 0.002ppm...
The same could be said for anyone that lowers their bike.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts