Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. What are your favorite runs?
I did a search through forum topics and threads and came up empty handed aside from a spattering of off-topic mention of rides. I am interested in hearing/learning about your favorite ride, road, or route. For example I am planning a 10 day run down the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trace in June. Later I'd like to post portions of blog entries for the good of the group.
Yes, there is a site called Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com and that's great. But information here could be more Indian specific - e.g., Indian events, dealer locations on route, scenery. twisties, etc. Such discussion doesn't neatly fit into the regional discussions, for all to review.

Please offer your comments and reviews. This would be great information for all of us. (and thanks). Maybe Nick can standup a new forum section for this type of topic?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Okay. What are your favorite runs?
I did a search through forum topics and threads and came up empty handed aside from a spattering of off-topic mention of rides. I am interested in hearing/learning about your favorite ride, road, or route. For example I am planning a 10 day run down the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trace in June. Later I'd like to post portions of blog entries for the good of the group.
Yes, there is a site called Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com and that's great. But information here could be more Indian specific - e.g., Indian events, dealer locations on route, scenery. twisties, etc. Such discussion doesn't neatly fit into the regional discussions, for all to review.

Please offer your comments and reviews. This would be great information for all of us. (and thanks). Maybe Nick can standup a new forum section for this type of topic?
Good thread. As I haven't had a motorcycle in a long time I don't really have any favorites yet. I would love to do the Blue Ridge Parkway and the tail of the dragon with my Scout. Will see what happens this coming summer. I look forward to hearing about anyone's favorite roads/rides.

G

·
Good thread. As I haven't had a motorcycle in a long time I don't really have any favorites yet. I would love to do the Blue Ridge Parkway and the tail of the dragon with my Scout. Will see what happens this coming summer. I look forward to hearing about anyone's favorite roads/rides.
My favorite road is the 1/4 mile in front of my house!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did the blue ridge and natchez last year. when going from the natchez to Blue Ridge, you HAVE TO do the Tail of the Dragon, its on the way and not that far off. Get a map before you do the blue ridge for gas station exits along the way. Otherwise it's alot of guess work about where to get off. Not sure if there was one for the natchez. Can get a bit over done with tall green trees and great vistas. Kinda enjoyed going thru the small towns along the way. Don't know the hwy number but there is a road that parallels east of the Trace that looked promising. You'll love em both.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Been on the Beartooth.

Were's the Million dollar?
The Million Dollar Highway is US 550 South from Ouray to Durango Colorado, also known as Red Mountain Pass. It's a very fun road as long as you're not afraid of heights. ;)

Reactions: jdbodean

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I like the winding roads that can be taken at more or less highway speeds. The slow winding roads are not the most fun for me. I want to be able to get into it and stay on it a bit. One road that comes to mind is Vanrocker Canyon road in the Black Hills. It's a good highway speed road and good scenery. It's just not long enough.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent ElRod. I believe the Scout will be perfect for the Blue Ridge. About the Tail of the Dragon though:
My first run of the Dragon was in 1982, with succeeding rides through it for several years afterward. It has gotten too popular and is now crowded and over run with non-MC vehicles. It is now just a continuous parade of bikes and cars at 10-15 mph. Last year was my last. That said, I've since discovered or heard about other, longer routes in the southwestern part of Virginia - the Back of the Dragon (32 miles, one route), and the Claw of the Dragon (224 miles over 4 contiguous routes).

Plan well my friend.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Excellent ElRod. I believe the Scout will be perfect for the Blue Ridge. About the Tail of the Dragon though:
My first run of the Dragon was in 1982, with succeeding rides through it for several years afterward. It has gotten too popular and is now crowded and over run with non-MC vehicles. It is now just a continuous parade of bikes and cars at 10-15 mph. Last year was my last. That said, I've since discovered or heard about other, longer routes in the southwestern part of Virginia - the Back of the Dragon (32 miles, one route), and the Claw of the Dragon (224 miles over 4 contiguous routes).

Plan well my friend.
Thanks for the info about the Tail of the Dragon, good to know. I will have to check out the others. :)

Reactions: Roll On

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Flash! Just heard about this tonight from a friend (Shovel head Glide rider) who is moving to TN. Called the "Southern Dozen". They have a web site: www.SouthernDozen.com . You can request a mailed brochure or download it from the site. (BTW, no advertising in the brochure - just pure information). Kudos to the folks who put this together - probably by bikers for bikers.

This list of 12 rides appears very promising and I will alter my June riding plan to take some of these runs. The rides all originate out of Johnson City, TN, going to all points of the compass. Of course, it is somewhat a Johnson City promotion, hoping you'll spend your money in their fair town. Hotel packages are offered on the web page. And head-cam videos can be viewed. Oh boy, another few roads I've not traveled but will soon!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Linky no worky :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking forward to the Three Sisters (Twisted Sisters) in the Texas hill country this spring. A trio of county roads that make a triangle loop. It's a well known bike ride. Used to hunt in the area but haven't been there in several years.

Would also like to head out Randall's way and ride the Big Bend area of Texas.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Reactions: Roll On
1 - 20 of 139 Posts