Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while on a 3 hour ride I experienced a problem with my fuel gauge (2019 Chieftain Classic). After fill up it will show's about 240 mile range. After 2 to 3 seconds it drops to about 175. As I ride it slowly creeps up but does not go past 186. While ascending a long steep street it quickly bounced to 227 and then back to 186 or so. The fact that it changed on a steep incline tells me it most likely is the float. Any suggestions??? It's under warranty but maybe there is a quick fix? It's the little things!!!

"A society that makes enemies of its police had better learn to make friends with its criminals."

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Does the gauge needle move up and down with the range reading?

It's normal for the range display to change as the bike calculates the range on the current fuel consumption. Normally that means a long uphill sees a drop in range but coming down the other side makes the range go up.

It's the gauge that reads actual fuel level and if that is steady it means it's OK.

I had my fuel pump/float unit replaced as the needle would drop suddenly and then come back to the actual level. It did that for a few months and I told the service guy about it. One day I had the bike at the shop and told him it was getting more frequent. He came out to look. I turned the bike on and the gauge needle rose to the fuel level, a few seconds later it dropped almost to empty and sat there for five seconds or so, then it came back up again. He booked it in for a warranty change when he saw it for himself.

·
Bronze member
2,639 Posts
My RM would recalculate “distance to empty” as I rode, but the fuel gauge needle did not fluctuate. If your float was getting stuck, it seems your fuel gauge needle would drop (or rise) when your distance to empty changed.

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
You might try resetting your range so that it clears out any of the memory and see if that changes it any. You would be hard pressed to ever get 240 miles on a tank of gas. I am lucky to get 175, but I ride pretty hard...

·
Bronze member
1,772 Posts
upon fill up, it uses the last MPG. I may start out at 235 range and ride for an hour before it changes, then watch it rise to sometimes over 250. However the needle display doesn't move.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I looked at exactly when the amount of fuel drops. As soon as I press the Power Switch/Security Light (using exact Instrument Control panel, console nomenclature) it displays the proper amount of fuel (approx. 237) immedialty after I fill up. It stays like that until I press the Engine Start/Run Switch and then it immediately drops down to about 180 or so. One last thing, when I rode in North Charleston the low fuel light went on and I filled up shortly after I got there. I looked on the Indian forum and I'll just post this link from a guy in New Zealand: https://www.indianmotorcycleforum.com.au/.../fuel-gauge...

Still under warrenty and have a appointment at dealer in a couple of days.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I don't know how the fuel range reset works on the Chieftain, on my Springfield I toggle through to the range display and to reset it I hold in the left trigger switch for five seconds. The range forgets the past reading and starts from that moment. It takes a minute or so for the numbers to settle down as it needs some cumulative info and finds the average.

I wonder if your reset procedure has become stuck somehow in the VCM and is now responding to every moment and not getting an average over time.

I looked on the Indian forum and I'll just post this link from a guy in New Zealand: https://www.indianmotorcycleforum.com.au/.../fuel-gauge...
This is Paul, one of my riding mates from Melbourne. He'll probably be pleased to find he's been sent off to New Zealand as Melbourne is currently in heavy lockdown over Covid. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did reset the MPG fuel range and it did not solve the glitch. So I took her for a ride today and the fuel gauge and Fuel range returned to normal....for about 3 miles. So allow me to be a little more clearer. There is the estimated digital read out that shows exactly that, how many approximate miles I can get out of the fuel I am carrying. Than there is the Fuel gauge (shaped like a half moon directly under the numerical fuel range). After filling up and topping off it typically reads 240 or so. As soon as I start the engine it drops between 185 and 188 while the fuel gauage displays full. It stays like that even if I travel 75 miles. Sometimes it pops back to normal for a few miles and shows normal readings, but in a few miles later it glitches again. So tomorrow it's to the dealer.

After the IRS found irregularities in his accounting in 1987, (PTL) Ministry,
Jim Bakker
speculated that "the devil got into the computer. "It seems that $13 million in church funds had mysteriously vanished.

Maybe Satan got into my Chieftain????

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
After the IRS found irregularities in his accounting in 1987, (PTL) Ministry,
Jim Bakker
speculated that "the devil got into the computer. "It seems that $13 million in church funds had mysteriously vanished.

Maybe Satan got into my Chieftain????

Forget your fuel problem, Jim Bakker's excuse is the funniest thing I'm going to hear all day. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, so far so good. Brought bike to dealership yesterday morning. Checked any resistance problems and they were all negative. Manually checked fuel levels with gauges and might have tweaked them. However they updated/flashed over the fuel module and everything seems to be working. No charge since it was still under warranty. Just out of curiosity I asked how much would that have cost me if it had not still been under warranty? $180.00. I wish I could have a more definitive answer as to what the problem was so that if other Indian owners experience the same problem they are more knowledgeable. I appreciate everyone's input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts