Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone! I received a fault code of 84 19 the other day, now my speedometer isn't working, I have a check engine light (related to error code) ABS light, turn signals aren't self cancelling, cruise control is inoperative and my motorcycle won't turn off using the main power switch, unless you hold it for several seconds. Does anyone know if this is all related? I'm bringing my bike in today, I'm really getting tired of all the maintenance issues. I bought it brand new in 2017, has 6 thousand miles, always been serviced at dealership. For the past year, I was dealing with voltage regulator issues, apparently they fixed that (after 3 voltage regulators) but now, I get a blinking battery light in lower right of gauges. My voltage is good, 12.3 -12.5 volts, 14.1-14.4 when bike is running. I have an extended warranty, but last time they had my bike for a month, not sure how long it will be for this.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good morning everyone! I received a fault code of 84 19 the other day, now my speedometer isn't working, I have a check engine light (related to error code) ABS light, turn signals aren't self cancelling, cruise control is inoperative and my motorcycle won't turn off using the main power switch, unless you hold it for several seconds. Does anyone know if this is all related? I'm bringing my bike in today, I'm really getting tired of all the maintenance issues. I bought it brand new in 2017, has 6 thousand miles, always been serviced at dealership. For the past year, I was dealing with voltage regulator issues, apparently they fixed that (after 3 voltage regulators) but now, I get a blinking battery light in lower right of gauges. My voltage is good, 12.3 -12.5 volts, 14.1-14.4 when bike is running. I have an extended warranty, but last time they had my bike for a month, not sure how long it will be for this.
Hi there. I am wondering if you got this issue sorted. I have been getting this issue intermittently since my '15 Vintage was about a year old. I have been told it is because dust builds up on the ABS sensors. I clean these if the fault shows up, but it doesn't make it go away. Sometimes it just seems to clear itself after a week or so. I had ABS sensors replaced but the problem came back almost immediately.

I'd be interest to know if and how you got a permanent fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my bike is finally fixed! This last trip to the dealership must have taken care of all the bugs my bike had. They replaced the voltage regulator (again) and harness, along with abs sensors and shims. I've had the bike back for 3 months or so and the bike has been trouble free.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for that. Hopefully they sorted it out.

I have seen elsewhere that it might be connection to the VCM. I'm gonna that and see.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just had this problem too with same code, no speedo after a ride yesterday. Well i messed around with the wiring under the ignition switch dash area and got my speedo working again. This is after cleaning and checking connections on front and rear speed sensors which had no effect. Definitely a wiring problem related to the harness area near gas tank. Im still messing with now. Maybe the ignition switch itself or wires are rubbing under or near gas tank. I hate electrical problems ugh...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just took a test ride after fiddling with the wiring under the ignition dash cover and cleaning connections. Speedo and abs working now, but now my handwarmers arent. Been having trouble with my handwarmers prior anyways. I bet the wiring harness and or the ignition switch is the culprit with all my electrical issues.. Maybe this should be in the tech section for others to see moderators. Ill update on any progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had this problem too with same code, no speedo after a ride yesterday. Well i messed around with the wiring under the ignition switch dash area and got my speedo working again. This is after cleaning and checking connections on front and rear speed sensors which had no effect. Definitely a wiring problem related to the harness area near gas tank. Im still messing with now. Maybe the ignition switch itself or wires are rubbing under or near gas tank. I hate electrical problems ugh...
It’s a long shot but take the console off and look under there for corrosion. There should be a connector for heated grips, if that connector isn’t used water can puddle underneath the console and corrode the terminal. Don’t know if this is the problem but a easy look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
It’s a long shot but take the console off and look under there for corrosion. There should be a connector for heated grips, if that connector isn’t used water can puddle underneath the console and corrode the terminal. Don’t know if this is the problem but a easy look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well now I cant shut the bike off with the main switch. Called Indian customer service and they they are picking up the bike and repairing all electrical problems free of charge at a local dealership. I am very frustrated at this point with the bike and let them know how I felt. They are hopefully gonna take care of my problems with my bike. We'll see...

·
Registered
48 Posts
My driving lights quit working so I checked the wiring harness and found the driving light switch wiring connector had come loose. I reconnected it and my lights are working fine. When I started riding home, the check engine light comes on showing the code 84-19 and I get all the same symptoms that Densmore had, no speedometer, ABS light stays on etc, exactly the same. I’m thinking I may have somehow loosened a connection while trying to fix the driving light problem. My 2017 Chief DH is out of warranty now and at $130/hr labor at the Houston dealerships, I’m going to do everything I can on my own to get this figured out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well now I cant shut the bike off with the main switch. Called Indian customer service and they they are picking up the bike and repairing all electrical problems free of charge at a local dealership. I am very frustrated at this point with the bike and let them know how I felt. They are hopefully gonna take care of my problems with my bike. We'll see...
Did they ever fix your problem oneoil16?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts