Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got some tips or tricks to share for getting fuel into this thing faster? I spent 10 minutes at the pump today trying to get that elusive last bar on the gauge... before the pump shut off from lack of flow. My previous beemer had an under seat tank but ze Germans had the smarts to put the filler on the side. 👍

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have found nothing that will speed it up, I just fill till it stops pumping and don't worry about the last eighth of gas tank capacity...

·
Rider
1,179 Posts
Most of the pumps around here will let you run at about half flow if you squeeze them just right. That's faster in my experience than splash a little fuel, wait for it to settle, repeat, repeat, repeat...
Just got my ftr and this is what I did my first fill and seemed to go pretty quickly. Also had the nozzle stuck all the way down in there.
Not to mention the pump was leaking at the swivel fitting between the hose and the hand pump, the gas dropping all over my hot exhaust. Took about half to a full gallon before I noticed it. Glad I didn’t set my bike on fire before I had the 1st full tank of gas.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fortunately, my commutes aren’t longer than one tank. I have three 5 gallon gas cans at home. I just crack the vent on the can slightly and it pretty much fills.

the trick is matching the flow from the gas can to the FTR’s vent capacity. On the rare occasion I have to fill at a gas station I listen to a podcast!

Oh yeah, I fill the three gas cans on Saturday as I’m headed to the motocross track. One of them comes home with less than 5 gallons in it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all you fine chilled out people - you're right... instead I'll treat my fuel stops as a great opporuntity to step back, meditate and smell the unleaded... smells like... victory!

Has anyone got some tips or tricks to share for getting fuel into this thing faster? I spent 10 minutes at the pump today trying to get that elusive last bar on the gauge... before the pump shut off from lack of flow. My previous beemer had an under seat tank but ze Germans had the smarts to put the filler on the side. 👍

·
Registered
776 Posts
That elusive last bar can be reached by standing the bike up rite for the last bit of your fill. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Although @edgelett said down under you can't sit on the bike while fueling, I do so here and keep the bike upright for the fueling duration.
Yeah they won’t turn the pumps on if your sitting on the bike. We fuel different to you blokes. When I was in the states you either did it with card at the pump or you prepaid at the counter. Here you just fill up and go and pay. You can also pay at the pump with a card if you want. Sometimes they won’t even turn the pumps on if you have your helmet on. I normally fuel with my helmet on because there’s no where to put it apart from the mirror and I’m always worried about it falling off onto the concrete. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Rider
1,339 Posts
On an historic bike where the fuel range was only 75 miles I started fuelling at home. This is a habit I continue today, no pressure and all the time in the World. I always fill to the gunnels/gunwhales and you have maximum range available as you set off. (Disclaimer: Terminology usage is entirely dependent on what side of the pond you live. In forum joke from the same discussion previously).

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sometimes they won’t even turn the pumps on if you have your helmet on.
Dude, are you serious?

You need to get out of that place, life is too short for that kind non-sense.

I thought the foreskins on the gas pumps in CA were as bad it could get at a gas station!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Dude, are you serious?

You need to get out of that place, life is too short for that kind non-sense.

I thought the foreskins on the gas pumps in CA were as bad it could get at a gas station!
To many people do drive offs here mate. And also you go anywhere near the counter with a helmet on they’ll call the cops. It’s against the law here. And get out of Aus?? Are you serious?? Never man. 👍😎🇦🇺

1 - 20 of 49 Posts