Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys just mounted fan in front of oil cooler on Springfield. Manual on off. Easy to do and inexpensive. Haven't tested in traffic yet. Weather. May not even be necessary. Comments.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
What kind of fan and what is the CFM rating? Did you mount in front of or the rear of the cooler? What size is the fan? Pictures would help.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,258 Posts
Got it on ebay. 1250 cfm. Mounted in front . No .instructions or info with it. I'll try for pictures.
You definitely would want to mount the fan aft of the oil cooler an pull the air across the oil cooler. The fan is much more efficient that way. Just like in the pic from AltChief2017. Much easier to pull the air into the cooler than to push the air across. Also I would worry about rocks and road debris hitting the fan if mounted up front. Dean

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,258 Posts
I've seen people do this on oil/air cooled DR650's. If I recall correctly they hardly noticed a difference in oil temperature...
A lot would depend on if the oil cooler has a thermostatic bypass built in or not. Not a 100% sure on this but I don't think the Indian has one. The fan would definitely help if you are stuck in traffic. Just came back from a trip down to the southwest, mostly NM and AZ. On the way back my friend and I where bucking some pretty strong headwinds heading back to Kansas. His Springfield had the oil stick with the temp gauge built in. Doing 70 mph in 95 degree weather fighting that headwind his oil temp was stable at 230F. We then swapped dipsticks and I ran it on my loaded up RM. In the same conditions my bike was rock solid at 210F. The cooler definitely helps on the big fairing bikes but 230 on the Springfield was nothing to be concerned about. Like I said the only advantage is if you are stuck in traffic where you can't get any flow across the cooler. Dean

Reactions: Roadie

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Agreed, and then you most likely want a fan with a high CFM (like from a motorcycle radiator), and not a computer cooler fan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok boys, good intentions but not significant outcome to warrant the install. No noticeable temp change. And hot air blowing up at stops. Scratch that idea.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
840 Posts
There's no need for this unless you spend a lot of time sitting in hot traffic.
And I do mean A LOT in HOT traffic.
And if you do... why????

·
Registered
20 Posts
I mounted one in between the engine and the oil cooler. Makes a big difference in traffic and stop lights. I was in Daytona for bike week and the traffic there guru-ing bike week is a mess. When sitting in traffic with the fan on, the engine oil never topped more than 215 degrees. View attachment 402868
Could you give more detail on what brand fan you used and how you wired it in? This is a very nice and clean set-up. It will be especially handy for the days of being stuck on the parking lot that is known as I-35 in Fort Worth.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I‘ve a oil dipstick with thermometer and never had temperature over 205°F with two up in the European alps under hot conditions, outside temp. 80°F at 6.000 ft hight.
So for me there is absolutely no need for an oil cooler fan. And that easy to understand if you look to the specific power.
My TS111 with stage 1 AC, stage 2 cams and J&H mufflers produces appr. 100 hp, so 55 hp per 1 liter.
High performance series motorcycle engines like BMW S1000RR HP4 appr. 215 hp and 1 liter. So appr. 4 times the specific power than my. So from temperature side the TS111 is in really good conditions

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
I‘ve a oil dipstick with thermometer and never had temperature over 205°F with two up in the European alps under hot conditions, outside temp. 80°F at 6.000 ft hight.
So for me there is absolutely no need for an oil cooler fan. And that easy to understand if you look to the specific power.
My TS111 with stage 1 AC, stage 2 cams and J&H mufflers produces appr. 100 hp, so 55 hp per 1 liter.
High performance series motorcycle engines like BMW S1000RR HP4 appr. 215 hp and 1 liter. So appr. 4 times the specific power than my. So from temperature side the TS111 is in really good conditions
In south Florida, 90°+F, running 80mph+, my oil dipstick temperature gauge reads around 220°F.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts