Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the falling saddlebag club today. It jumped off my bike at 75MPH and to my surprize it stayed together and suffered only some minor road rash. And more amazingly my wife's phone and purse survived as well.
I am pretty compulsive about that sort of thing and I will never be convinced that it wasn't properly latched. The only possibility that I can think of is that when my wife took her stuff out from the previous trip she lifted the bag off the lip. I tried that on my other bag and it wasn't possible. I know the factory is firm in their position of operator error.

The pin itself is gone and all that was left was the latch cam inside the bag. Indian has taken rape and plunder to the extreme. The bits and pieces cost over $20 on Cheapcycleparts.com and the stupid bumper is $14.69. TALK ABOUT INJURY TO INSULT!
Anyway I made new pieces with about $7 of parts from the local hardware store.

So now the wife won't put anything in the bags until I figure out a way to positively secure them. Has anyone worked out a system?

The cleavis pin I bought has a series of holes in it so I am thinking of drilling through the spool and putting a cotter pin in but that is hardly quick rlease.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had my right bag fall off once and I am convinced that it was my fault. Since then I have had trouble keeping one of the conchos on. It falls off but the strap is still latched. They replaced it but it didn't come with the screw to screw it back in. So now I have two straps showing on the outside of my right bag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts