Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a "buzzing" in the fairing while accelerating? Seems to be coming from the guage cluster. Any solutions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lots of overlaid plastic in the nose...I'm betting a resonance in the engine is causing it to buzz. I know mine does it I just ignore it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had this. Started buzzing around 3000 rpms. When I had my bike in for the shift indicator recall service I had them look at it and they tightened up all of the fairing mounting bolts. That solved the issue.

·
Bronze member
1,678 Posts
I had this. Started buzzing around 3000 rpms. When I had my bike in for the shift indicator recall service I had them look at it and they tightened up all of the fairing mounting bolts. That solved the issue.
Pete you're not talking about the Challenger here....shift indicator recall service was NOT applicable to the Challenger line.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Have you checked to make sure all the fairing screws are torqued to specification? Mine only rattles when I hit bumps. But after having my fairing off to put in a 12 volt power supply I torqued all the screws to specification. It still rattles a little but not as much. This little bit of rattle I get is just not bothersome to me. A sympathetic rattle would probably bug the shit out of me. The only way I know of to solve every rattle is to take off the fairing and add foam or foam tape to all the wires and anything that might be touching something or is loose. This is what they do in better cars. Everything is either tight or covered. I don't think they bother so much in bikes because there is already so much engine noise.

·
Rider
442 Posts
I have not recognized any buzzing/rattling noise. Maybe because of the TAB Zombies.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Took a 50 mile ride after work today and no rattle in my fairing. Even got diverted down a gravel road and no rattle. My fairing has been off three times though, so all of my bolts are tight.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No buzz or rattle here. I’ve also had the fairing off to make the headlight replacement easier. Still no buzz. 👍🏻

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm getting the same buzzing noise as well past 3600rpms. The more rpms the louder buzzing gets.
I feel like it coming form the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I talked to my service advisor at Sky Motorsports in Sanford FL. ( Great People BTW ) She put in a claim and it got accepted. The new gauge cover came in today. Sky Motorsports is going to complete the install and was instructed to use some extra sticky double tape to reinforce the cover. Once the install / fix is completed I will share my findings.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a similar experience but it wasn't a lot of vibration, more of a gauge cluster shaking. For a minute I said to myself "sh##$$, I just go this and now it's falling apart?" Turned out to be the cluster panel/pod was not seated properly.. It is held down by velcro like what you see on the ezpass. So I pulled over, pushed it down until it snapped into place and problem was gone. Never came back.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,132 Posts
Funny story, the first time I went to the Indian dealership to see the then brand new 2020 Challenger, the bike they had on the show room floor was obviously assembled quickly. As I was sitting on it, the salesman told me to go ahead and start it so I could hear the engine run with exhaust note and the first thing I noticed was a vibration/rattling noise coming from the front (faring area) of the bike . After hitting the kill switch I had noticed a large gap on the gauge cluster plastic housing unit in the faring and pushed down on it. To my suprise, it snapped into place. Later the salesman showed me how they can be lifted and removed. Obviously after buying my bike I immediately went all through the manual to expore all of the body and chassis details to make sure I wouldn't have these problems, loose any pieces or at least would know what may be going on if it started vibratring or rattling. :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
I did the same thing at the 500 mi service. I checked everything that I could see on the bike.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I noticed on Dennis Kirks page that Clockworks makes sound control kits for Harleys and now the Indian Challenger. Wrap all wiring in foam, add this kit, tighten everything down, and you should be pretty quiet. Will likely improve the sound of your speakers as well. If your gage cluster cover or something is loose that is another issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts