Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 chief. I ordered a passenger and front rider backrests with it in September 2015 with the bike. My passengwr backrest was initially alot darker than the bags and seat. Now the passenger backrest is fading fast. I believe it may have the 2014 leather on it I know the 2014 leather had fading problems. It is already alot lighter and has only had a 1/4 of the exposure to the sun. Has anyone else had similar issues?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Smithy,

I had UV protection sprayed on them when I first got them so my info may be useless but...

I bought 2015 Vintage with back rest back in April 2015. The saddle, bags and back rest have resisted the fading equally well. I have not applied leather conditioner or any other products since UV protection.

To me, it does sound like you got the 2nd generation tan leather back rest. The difference between 2014 (gen 1) and 2015 (gen 2 and gen 3) tan leather accessories should be pretty easy to spot. Gen 1 leather looked most like real leather. Gen 2 & 3 started to look more plastic like but gen 2 was still fading fast. Gen 3, I believe was on some 2015 models and current 2016 range.

·
Registered
549 Posts
How can we tell what generation leather we have? I took delivery of mine in August but not noticed much fading. And what is this UV protection stuff and where should i look to have it applied?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Not sure if there is an easy way to spot the difference between gen 2 and 3. I think gen 2 was pulled soon after release when they realised it was still fading.

UV coat - I applied this stuff 3 or 4 times. Opti-Guard Leather & Vinyl Coating

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tandy leather dye saddle color..... it takes three stages.... looks so good you'll probably want to do all leather

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've had my Chieftain for over a year now in the Florida sun and have just used Lexol cleaner and the conditioner. All leather matches and looks new.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,849 Posts
I've had my Chieftain for over a year now in the Florida sun and have just used Lexol cleaner and the conditioner. All leather matches and looks new.
Assuming yours is black... Black has never had issues, only the brown

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might have a chat with the dealer about ordering another one. Second option will be to condition the current brown one. Thanks for the advice fellas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
All of my leather pieces seem to be just a wee bit different than the others. It's not horrible, but I notice it. Had planned on using the winter to pull all the stuff and dye it like so many have. But unfortunately, the weather hasn't cooperated. Way too many 45-60 degree days in Jan so far! Now it's too close to spring....will live with it for a year.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
All of my leather pieces seem to be just a wee bit different than the others.
The slight difference... is that from sun fade OR was it slightly different right from the factory?

My 2015 Vintage saddle and bags matched pretty well but my back rest looks more plasticy in appearance (ie. Much more uniform with less specks and texture) right from new.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The slight difference... is that from sun fade OR was it slightly different right from the factory?

My 2015 Vintage saddle and bags matched pretty well but my back rest looks more plasticy in appearance (ie. Much more uniform with less specks and texture) right from new.
I think it's a little of both, and I think they may have dyed/re-dyed my stock stuff before I got it. My bike was a demo, with 2500 miles on it. I noticed the Indian emblem on the seat has some dye on it still, so I think they may have done some work with it before I bought it. Almost looks like my right bag may have been 2014 leather, and they dyed it all to match close. Then I added the backrest, which as others said is a little different, and my tank pouch I bought, and handlebar bag, they match each other, but not the seat/bags exactly. I really don't mind too much, I still like the tan leather look. Might get froggy one of these days and re-do all of it, but waiting to see if it sort of blends together with use first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts