Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17.3K on my 2016 Springfield and I should easily hit 20K. Very little 2 up riding and if so my wife is light. What kind of mileage are you getting?

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
This question gets asked many times but how good your mileage is depends on a lot of factors mostly how the Rider handles the Bike .. Jack Rabbit Starts and Heavy Braking will definitely bring the mileage down as well as mostly City Riding vs Highway Miles Road Surface can be a factor as well .. Will just add I think the Springfield came with Dunlop Elite 3's.. I found on my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse that the Elite 4's handled a little better with better mileage as well .. I got 15,000 miles on my OEM 3's but had a Road Trip coming out when changed them, but am sure would have got at least another 3,000 out of them ..

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just got 16000 miles out of my rear Elite 3 on my Roadmaster mostly two up riding, have changed over to an Elite 4, I still have the front Elite 3 fitted with a few mile left in the tire, waiting on a new front Elite 4 to come in, up to 2 mths on back order to Australia,

·
Registered
255 Posts
This reminds me of a discussion I had once with one of those guys who measures short trips in thousands of miles. Supplemental fuel tanks, etc. He was talking about people who complain about tire life. “Get a cheaper hobby if that bothers you.” I was riding my Daytona 955i. I asked him what he expected from a tire. I don’t remember what he said exactly, but it was north of 10,000 miles. I said “I’m thrilled if I get over 5000 on my Daytona. And that’s using dual compound tires.” He said “oh.” 😏

When we were getting ready for Sturgis last year, I had less than 6000 miles on my Roadmaster and went to the dealer to see if I needed a new tire. Needless to say, I was really, really happy when I heard what the usual life is on the big Indians! 😁

·
Registered
232 Posts
Recently changed the stock Elite 3’s on my 2018 RM at 20K. Probably could have gotten a little more out of them. But, I’m almost 3 hours from dealership and was already going to be there for the 20K service. I ride mostly backroads at 55-60 mph and do very easy starts and stops. I have E4’s now and expect similar or better durability.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I changed my rear tire at 13.5 K miles. Mostly because it had been plugged several thousand miles previously and had picked up yet another nail. I think the tread would have been good for another 3k conservatively.

·
Registered
45 Posts
after 10.000 miles unfortunately I had still a lot of profile with the stock Dunlop Tyres. I changed the tyres recently completely to the new Metzeler Cruisetecs (front I changed to 19 inch) and I am more than happy with them. No traction problems anymore and more grip in the twisties. The stock "Beton" tyres are really dangerous in rain! I am happy getting rid of them. BTW, those Metzelers are stock at the Challenger. Lot of my Buddies here in Germany ride the Metzelers as well.

·
Rider
972 Posts
I am only getting 8500 miles out of my rear tire but I ride spiritedly a lot and have some back roads that are rough. Keep the tire inflated to spec. The rear tread depth is at 2mm. Get the same mileage out of the rear tire on my HD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
17.3K on my 2016 Springfield and I should easily hit 20K. Very little 2 up riding and if so my wife is light. What kind of mileage are you getting?
I replaced my rear tire at 18,000 because I was going an an extended ride (which ended up at 3,500 miles)

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
916 Posts
The front tire on My 14 Classic was wearing out at 21,500 so when I had it changed I changed the rear as well. The tire guy said I still had several thousand miles left on the rear. Most of my riding is 2 up. This was the 1st time I ever had a front tire wear out before the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts