Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many has it and have you ever used it ?

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
I have the 84 month plan. I haven't used it yet as I still have until April of next year on my factory 2 year warranty, but I am sure I will use it at some point.

Reactions: 17NDNSTL

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
The factory protection plan is a 3rd party service contract and doesn't cover the same things as the 2 year factory warranty does. There is a co-pay of 50.00 if they decided to cover an item to be fixed. Dealers falsely sell this as a extended warranty and their is a lot of eye opening fine print.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,219 Posts
If it's not a warranty from the manufacturer let the buyer beware. I got roped into one of these on a Triumph back in 2010 and later found out it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Cost me $800 for nothing. Never again!!

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
Way to many of the “ extended warranties” are crap. Just another money generator for the OEM or aftermarket. IF you cant do any mechanical ,electrical, or electronic diagnostics or repairs, then you may want to get the OEM extended warranty ( I never would or have). Plus the extended (5) yrs warranty started the day you bought the bike, not an additional 5 yrs. like it makes you think it is. So you just paid for the first (2) yrs of free warranty as part of that (5) yr contract. What a bunch of crooks.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Way to many of the “ extended warranties” are crap. Just another money generator for the OEM or aftermarket. IF you cant do any mechanical ,electrical, or electronic diagnostics or repairs, then you may want to get the OEM extended warranty ( I never would or have). Plus the extended (5) yrs warranty started the day you bought the bike, not an additional 5 yrs. like it makes you think it is. So you just paid for the first (2) yrs of free warranty as part of that (5) yr contract. What a bunch of crooks.

Exactly, done of that is told to you or presented when they ask you to buy it. And 100% the service contract starts immediately so you are paying 5 years but only getting three.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Exactly, done of that is told to you or presented when they ask you to buy it. And 100% the service contract starts immediately so you are paying 5 years but only getting three.
I also have the 84 month. It was presented as a 5 year extension and that is EXACTLY what it is.
Ive read the fine print and Im comfortable with it.
I NEVER buy extended anything, but with the high cost of parts on these bikes I felt it was worth it.
This is NOT the same plan that the dealer tried to shove down your throat at time of purchase.

If someone wants to dispute the longevity of it, here you go.

Screenshot_20181220-191017_Ride_Command.jpg

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,219 Posts
As long as it is through the manufacturer it's a good warranty. Don't waste your money on the third party crap that dealers try yo push. They're making a killing on the kickbacks they get from these crooks.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
I also have the 84 month. It was presented as a 5 year extension and that is EXACTLY what it is.
I NEVER buy extended anything, but with the high cost of parts on these bikes I felt it was worth it.
This is NOT the same plan that the dealer tried to shove down your throat at time of purchase.

If someone wants to dispute the longevity of it, here you go.

View attachment 451742

99% of dealers tell you that the "extended warranty" is good for 84 months which misleads people to think 7 years. 84 divided by 12 = 7 years not 5. Most do not tell you that the service contract starts the day you by it. So if you buy the bike and the service contract the same day, the service contract starts the same day. So after the 2 year warranty, you have burned through 2 years of the service contract. So yea you got the 5 year extended service contract for the price of 7. As long as you are happy with it, good for you.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
As long as it is through the manufacturer it's a good warranty. Don't waste your money on the third party crap that dealers try yo push. They're making a killing on the kickbacks they get from these crooks.

The service contract through Polaris is a 3rd party and not Polaris at all. Polaris is just the middle man selling it to you and reaping the rewards.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Out of curiosity is there a list of what is or isn’t covered? Reading through the fine print is giving me a headache.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
99% of dealers tell you that the "extended warranty" is good for 84 months which misleads people to think 7 years. 84 divided by 12 = 7 years not 5. Most do not tell you that the service contract starts the day you by it. So if you buy the bike and the service contract the same day, the service contract starts the same day. So after the 2 year warranty, you have burned through 2 years of the service contract. So yea you got the 5 year extended service contract for the price of 7. As long as you are happy with it, good for you.
No. I BOUGHT 5 years additional giving me a TOTAL of 7 years. Thats how Indian presented it to me. There were no tricks. Its not 3rd party either. Polaris backs it FOR THEMSELVES with an Insurance plan. This is a very common practice.

So, doing the math, I paid $1900 for the additional 5 years. That's $380 per year, or $31.67 per month. Less than I pay for the latest Samsung phone every other year (I buy unlocked versions, so I'm not stuck on a contract).

It covers: Engine AND Components, Transmission AND Components, Electrical (Including Electronics) and the Chassis and frame. Only excluded items that are normal wear and tear like brakes and tires.

I have my contract on my phone and I can find it but when I go to upload it here, I cant find the folder. Working on it, so others can see.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
EXACTLY

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Just wait. Like @reinie said, the ones the dealers sell are crap. Some are only good at that dealership. About 8 months before your original warranty expires, you'll get mailers from Indian with the offer.

You can charge it AND do 4 equal payments. They charge you a whole 4 dollars for this (one time).

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Here is the fine print for those who want the fine print
Read the top page for discription of terminology used. It clearly states that Polaris is the direct party and ttey purchase an Insurance plan to cover them. This is common practice.

Look, I'm not a fan of any extended anythings. But considering the cost of repairs on these Indians and the complexity of what you are purchasing, I thought in this case it was worth the piece of mind.

Normally I tell people that try to sell me extended anything, that "I have my own plan, if it breaks before I think it should, I never buy that brand again".

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
No. I BOUGHT 5 years additional giving me a TOTAL of 7 years. Thats how Indian presented it to me. There were no tricks. Its not 3rd party either. Polaris backs it FOR THEMSELVES with an Insurance plan. This is a very common practice.

So, doing the math, I paid $1900 for the additional 5 years. That's $380 per year, or $31.67 per month.

It covers: Engine AND Components, Transmission AND Components, Electrical (Including Electronics) and the Chassis and frame. Only excluded items that are normal wear and tear like brakes and tires.

I have my contract on my phone and I can find it but when I go to upload it here, I cant find the folder. Working on it, so others can see.

Here is what you said in your previous post.

You have said many times you have the extra 5 years (60 months) but then say you have the 84 month plan. What you mean to say is you have the factory 2 year warranty (24 month) + the 5 year (60 month) service contract. Because the first 2 years of the service contract is wasted.

The thing is....... when you purchase a service contract on the day you buy your bike. It starts then. So if you by a 84 month service contract the day you buy your bike. You only have 60 months after the warranty expires. That is what the majority of the dealerships do not tell anyone. What they say, do you want the additional 84 month extended warranty?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts