Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask this because I see so many of the Indian Pathfinder LED headlights go up for sale. Are they any good? Is the light output just not the best? I want to upgrade my Chieftain to LED but seeing so many of the Indian ones for sale it makes me wonder. I have an LED bulb which does ok on low beam but not high. I can't get myself to pay $400+ for a headlight. So what's the deal, are the Pathfinder lights any good?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The reviews online are decent. I had a $150 coupon and used it. I found a used VCM from a scrapped 2017 CDH that is the same part # and dealership said would work fine on my 2014 Chieftain. Having all of that done by Saturday or Monday. We shall see. I hate the current halogen

·
Registered
363 Posts
Waiting on my Eagle LED now. I never ride at night, just hoping to increase my daytime visibility. $153 on sale.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agree with the Eagle Lights, have the headlight and running lamps installed, huge difference for $279.00 on my 2018 Springfield. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had two RMs, 16 and 20. As far as I'm concerned the LED headlight sucks. Straight line fairly decent. Corners....scares the hell out of me. The sharp cutoff of the LED decreases visibility when cornering. I'm going to try the adaptive Indian Headlight at some point. Hopefully that helps the cornering visibility at night.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
OK, I tried the LED bulb thing in my '18 Halogen-bulb headlight (and my '12 CVO Street glide, too) and the light output was just not there. On my street glide, I actually tried the upgrade to and HID bulb in the stock housing. That worked OK but the heat was so great, it smoked the inside of my lens. I also tried the aftermarket route on the '12 and my '18 Chieftain. I paid about $65 bucks for LED headlights on both bikes (at different times, obviously...and they were different, inexpensive brands) and got what I paid for. Either the low beam was good, high beam was crap or the other way around.

I ended up biting the bullet on both bikes and purchase the stock LED option. The HD unit was very good and I adjusted the low beam a bit higher and it worked fine. Purchased a used headlight on the CVO Harley site and saved some cash. I did the same thing recently on this site. I found a good, used (slightly) Indian brand LED (read stock) and have not looked back. Some say the light spread is not good but I've adjusted and tweaked that adjustment a few times and have a very good light spread pattern that works for me on low and high beam.

While it's fun to tinker with less expensive options and, sometimes, it's very rewarding, I've learned my lesson and will stick to what actually works. I have been very pleased with the Indian LED headlight. Find one that someone has "upgraded" to something else and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,075 Posts
I was going to put a Vision X on my challenger as it seems to be the winner in the LED category. Then I came across the adaptive headlights and that slowed me down. I like the look of the Indian Adaptive LED but it isn't "offically" supported for the challenger yet.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
My 2017 Roadmaster came with the LED headlight and it was awful. I put a Vision Vortex7 in and the improvement was
huge! Search this forum for headlight replacement.
They might even have a newer better option now.
I am considering this headlight as well.

It’s the exact same headlight as the True Beam headlight from Custom Dynamics (CD) but CD also sells matching driving lights in case you have the classic fairing or want to add driving lights later. They sell it all packaged up for Indian motorcycles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I do use the Custom Dynamics high low adapter which keeps my low beam on with my high beam. Awesome

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,075 Posts
For the Vision X, the correct motorcycle specific part number is: XMC-7RD

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
Well gang,I just replaced headlight bulb #3 for this year, traveling alittle over 15,000 miles on it so far this year.But this was the sixth headlight bulb that has burned out on it over the 2 1/2 years and 47,000 miles I've traveled with it since buying it new.[ I'm using H4-9003 bulbs] All my connections [battery and ground] are good, and my battery charge rate at idle and when drivn down the road is 14.4-14.6,and I don't ride fast over bumpy roads.But if I have to,I go slow. So I am wondering if anybody else has experienced the problem??

But the good news is:I've done it so many times now, I can change the bulb in less then 5 minutes cause it's no big deal to do on my SDH model!! lol lol Thank you in advance for any suggestions!! (y) Dave!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Man, I still have my original 2014 Chieftain headlight bulb. Working when I swapped it out for an LED bulb.... This year. You buying cheap Chinese made bulbs or what?

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
The replacement bulbs I'm using are HELIOLITE H4/9003 and are made in the USA,not to mention, they are not cheap. But let me also say this: After thinking about the problem,my original bulb [the bulb that came in the bike from the factory] did NOT last very long either and the charge rate on my volt meter has always read alittle higher then I'd like to see it.I posted about that not too long ago and discovered the battery post and ground connections were a tad on the loose side [I suspect from vibration] so I retorqued em hoping that would solve this problem,which it obviously did NOT!! So what I'm thinking now is: When I'm riding the bike, I see a lot of other Indians,among other makes and models, running with their passing lights on too during the day.So maybe that is keeping the charge rate down to a lower charge rate of 14.2-14.3 volts.So I think I'll give that a shot.Why?? Cause my scooter is the SDH,which does NOT have all the bells and whistles on it like the more exotic models have which need to have a higher charge rate in order to run all the extras that those machines have,plus,keep the battery charged up.I'll letcha know if that helps or not.And I'll also run the problem by the service manager where I bought my bike from to see what he thinks, or if he's run into the problem ,and what he did to correct it.I'll letcha know what I find out.Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
This AM,I took alittle ride over to the Indian dealership to have a conversation with the service manager regarding the head light bulb issue I've been having.And according to what he said [and this is per Polaris] : the charge rate is OK as long as it's charging anywheres between 13.5 and 15.5 volts,which is something I happen disagree with.Why?? Because 13.5 is too low,and 15.5 is too high,meaning that the higher voltage charge rate can and will take out electrical components,usually starting with a headlight bulb, which is my problem,and that lower charge rate will not allow a sensor to work like it's supposed to which will usually effect the operation of the vehicles electrical system and or its' over all performance.The normal charge rate on these 12 volt systems should be somewheres between 14 and 14.5 volts with the motor running. Anything higher or lower then that will usually create electrical problems.
And something else I also just learned this morning,which I was not aware of, is: There's also another GROUND wire located some wheres around the ECM, which is just as important as the ground wire on the right frame rail near the battery.And it too has to be clean and tight. So, is anyone on here aware of this other ground wire and or know exactly where it's located?? Anyways, I'll have to check that the next time I'm working on my scooter. Dave!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts