Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just bought a used scout with factory bags. I am wondering what is the best stuff to use on this to keep it water and sun resistant? Just ordered some Topcoat F11 for the paint, I'm not sure I want to use it on the bags though, certainly not the seat!

Suggestions?

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I got the Skidmore‘s leather cream and beeswax waterproofing for mine just this summer.

Already had the bags three years by then, maybe a little late but they still look OK to me. Just some age patina.

I believe what I should’ve done was a scrub down with soap and water and a brush. Let them dry and then apply the Skidmore’s.
Maybe I’ll redo it that way next year.

Reactions: BushPig

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,365 Posts
Fiebings Neats Foot oil
I use it as it works really well protects and water proofs
Puts oil back into leather from being dried out
Keeps the leather soft snd supple
Its used on horse saddles and is very cheap to buy
While your at it do the leather seats in your vehicle
It can be found at Tractor Supply or other stores
When applied it will slightly darken the leather.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lexol is a nice light leather cleaner. I use it on my jacket and bag to scrub the bugs off. Helps keep the leather from drying out and cracking after it's been cleaned. Every once in a while I'll treat the leather with blackrock conditioner.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Leather honey.

Reactions: BushPig

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife just bought a used scout with factory bags. I am wondering what is the best stuff to use on this to keep it water and sun resistant? Just ordered some Topcoat F11 for the paint, I'm not sure I want to use it on the bags though, certainly not the seat!

Suggestions?
I use f11 on my leather works great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Obenauf's Leather oil and Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative.

If the leather is dirty or soiled, I take a wet terry cloth rag or towel with warm water and a detergent like Dawn dish soap and scrub the leather. Sometimes I use a bristle brush with soapy water. I try to get as much of the soap off after the cleaning and then I pat everything dry with a towel. A little moisture shouldn't hurt anything. For more stubborn dirt, I apply some of the Obenauf's leather oil and scrub until the leather is clean. After everything is clean I apply a light coat of Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative. If you let it set overnight, it will soak into the leather. I try to treat all of the leather on the bike at least every three months. It is also a good time to wash the bike thoroughly.

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
342 Posts
I used Skidmore's leather cream and waterproofer from day 1 on my tan Scout bags, and they still looked new 2 years and 16K miles later when I traded it in. It's really good stuff for gloves and boots too.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Isn't there some kind of coating over the bonded leather that Indian uses (after 2014) to help protect it?

Regardless, I use Skidmore's on my Vintage. Seems to get absorbed thru whatever coating is on the leather.

·
Bronze member
1,213 Posts
Isn't there some kind of coating over the bonded leather that Indian uses (after 2014) to help protect it?

Regardless, I use Skidmore's on my Vintage. Seems to get absorbed thru whatever coating is on the leather.
303 protectant. It’s also good as a topcoat over a leather conditioner like Lexol. Lexol does nothing on bonded leather which has a clear coating.

·
Registered
504 Posts

Suggestions?
Standard saddle soap has been in use for about 100 years. It's a great cleaner and conditioner. There's a reason they use it on $1000+ saddles. Most of the conditioners don't really remove dirt; you just rub it in over top of the dirt. Saddle soap is put on kind of like was, let it dry for a while then buff it off. When you buff it off, you remove the dirt. AFTER that, you can put on a conditioner but it's not necessary.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Standard saddle soap has been in use for about 100 years. It's a great cleaner and conditioner. There's a reason they use it on $1000+ saddles. Most of the conditioners don't really remove dirt; you just rub it in over top of the dirt. Saddle soap is put on kind of like was, let it dry for a while then buff it off. When you buff it off, you remove the dirt. AFTER that, you can put on a conditioner but it's not necessary.
Been using saddle soap since I was a little kid on gun holsters and knife sheaths. My grandparents have been using it since before I was born. My grandpa was a hobbyist leather worker. Never used anything else. He died at 98 more than 5 years ago. I still have his leather stuff he made since before I was born and it all still looks great. Over a hundred years later!

·
Registered
409 Posts
One more vote for Skidmore's. This stuff is better than any other leather conditioner and protectant that i have ever used.

Bottom line is that real leather is good stuff, but if you want any leather product to stay looking nice and do its job it takes regular care, not just once every few years. So no matter which product you end up using, just use it regularly.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I second Obenauf's. I use it on all leather products. Lexol is good, too, but I don't think it has any SPF rating. I like the 303 protectant on plastics and such. Never used it on a bonded leather, but makes sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts