Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Rider
1,215 Posts
I use a camelback backpack that keeps my liquid of choice, usually Gatorade cold for 12 hrs. I strap it on backseat and run straw/tube over my shoulder and it has a clip to keep it there. Definitely a must on long trips especially in the heat down south
Yep, whatever works for you. I can stay relatively comfortable as long as I’m moving. But like the issue down in Houston a few years ago, being stuck in traffic and no way to hydrate in dangerous heat and humidity, dang near thought someone was going to have to call an ambulance at some point. Fortunately traffic started moving. I’ve ridden across the Mojave, Sonoran, deserts several times. And all over the humid south east with no problem, other than that time Houston.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited in Bright Freaking Red!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Yep it even gets hot up here in Wyoming. My ‘21 Challenger runs at least as cool as the ‘13 Gold Wing. Stage 1 exhaust, cat still in place, see no need to remove it because heat on the lower extremities has not been an issue for 13k miles. I rode in triple digits last summer in California. Close to triple digits and high humidity in the south east ie….Ky, NC, SC,Ga and had no ill effects. And coming from Wyoming I’m not acclimated.
That’s usually my experience riding in weather like this. No issues. But I’m convinced this is all me at this point. Went to the beach yesterday for only a couple of hours and I got overheated before I knew it. I’m getting old folks! 🤣 So weird!

·
Registered
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
926 Posts
As much as I like the camel packs, my riding just doesn't necessitate it. I do however keep 2 bottles of water along with 1 Gatorade in the freezer. I wrap them in a large hand towel, place 'em my saddlebag along with my snacks, and I have ice cold hydration all day long, regardless of where my stops or or I may get stuck.

*I learned this in Boy Scouts to do this before a planned hike. I also learned that filling the canteen too full will crack or distort it once the water freezes.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey all, wanted to see if anyone has had this experience. I’m on a road trip from the DMV to FL, stopped in GA. For the last 4 hours of my trip today I experienced extreme heat coming from the engine. This was not just a cloud of hot air around the engine, it was like a blow dryer on max blast! Has anyone experienced this? I’m at 20,000 miles, all recommended maintenance has been done, including the latest factory ECU flash. This heat was so powerful, so consistent, and so unpleasant that I had to ride my bike without my mesh jacket for the first time ever. The heat emanating from the engine was so strong, losing the jacket didn’t even really make a difference. It’s so bad that I’m wondering if I should leave the bike with Indian Daytona and fly home. I seriously almost passed out. 🤣 Sure, it was a very hot day today, but I’ve ridden all my bikes in high temps/high humidity, and I’ve never experienced anything like this!

Any feedback?
Welcome to the deep south, during a major heat wave.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hey all, wanted to see if anyone has had this experience. I’m on a road trip from the DMV to FL, stopped in GA. For the last 4 hours of my trip today I experienced extreme heat coming from the engine. This was not just a cloud of hot air around the engine, it was like a blow dryer on max blast! Has anyone experienced this? I’m at 20,000 miles, all recommended maintenance has been done, including the latest factory ECU flash. This heat was so powerful, so consistent, and so unpleasant that I had to ride my bike without my mesh jacket for the first time ever. The heat emanating from the engine was so strong, losing the jacket didn’t even really make a difference. It’s so bad that I’m wondering if I should leave the bike with Indian Daytona and fly home. I seriously almost passed out. 🤣 Sure, it was a very hot day today, but I’ve ridden all my bikes in high temps/high humidity, and I’ve never experienced anything like this!

Any feedback?
I was in TN a few years back on a road star. I stopped twice to see where all the heat was coming from finally realized it was coming up off the asphalt plus my engine... stoplights were brutal so got out of town to get moving and cool it down

·
Registered
17 Posts
A few days ago I came out of the painted desert and petrified forest and the temp was 107 according to the display on my 2015 RM. I have removed the cat and installed an x-pipe that I had coated with ceramic and I am telling you this is the way to go to get rid of the heat...plus a flash. Not much help in your situation but just wanted to inform folks how to fix the Roadmaster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the temp. gauge was showing 184 then there’s nothing wrong - it was just a hot day. I’ve found the Challenger to be a pleasant relief from the heat compared to my old Roadmaster…which would cook your loins on a 90+ degree day. On this 104 degree day I had no uncomfortable heat on my Challenger. View attachment 693447
Side question - related to air temperature reading: Does your bike show temperatures that are roughly 10% hotter than actual temps? If it's 85 F outside, my bike will show 93 - 94 F. It seems to become more accurate at cooler temps. It does this all the time - from the time I start riding to the time I pull back into my garage. BTW, 2018 RM.

·
Bronze member
3,379 Posts
Side question - related to air temperature reading: Does your bike show temperatures that are roughly 10% hotter than actual temps? If it's 85 F outside, my bike will show 93 - 94 F. It seems to become more accurate at cooler temps. It does this all the time - from the time I start riding to the time I pull back into my garage. BTW, 2018 RM.
Yes, my bike will show a hotter temp than what’s shown on weather apps. I’m sure the bike is picking up heat radiating from the concrete/pavement.

·
Bronze member
1,973 Posts
Add an oil cooler
Not really needed on a liquid cooled engine. If any kind of oil cooler some skoots use a heat exchanger where the oil is cooled by the engine coolant.

Reactions: HyeHog
61 - 70 of 70 Posts