Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited in Bright Freaking Red!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, wanted to see if anyone has had this experience. I’m on a road trip from the DMV to FL, stopped in GA. For the last 4 hours of my trip today I experienced extreme heat coming from the engine. This was not just a cloud of hot air around the engine, it was like a blow dryer on max blast! Has anyone experienced this? I’m at 20,000 miles, all recommended maintenance has been done, including the latest factory ECU flash. This heat was so powerful, so consistent, and so unpleasant that I had to ride my bike without my mesh jacket for the first time ever. The heat emanating from the engine was so strong, losing the jacket didn’t even really make a difference. It’s so bad that I’m wondering if I should leave the bike with Indian Daytona and fly home. I seriously almost passed out. 🤣 Sure, it was a very hot day today, but I’ve ridden all my bikes in high temps/high humidity, and I’ve never experienced anything like this!

Any feedback?

·
5 years +
253 Posts
Hey all, wanted to see if anyone has had this experience. I’m on a road trip from the DMV to FL, stopped in GA. For the last 4 hours of my trip today I experienced extreme heat coming from the engine. This was not just a cloud of hot air around the engine, it was like a blow dryer on max blast! Has anyone experienced this? I’m at 20,000 miles, all recommended maintenance has been done, including the latest factory ECU flash. This heat was so powerful, so consistent, and so unpleasant that I had to ride my bike without my mesh jacket for the first time ever. The heat emanating from the engine was so strong, losing the jacket didn’t even really make a difference. It’s so bad that I’m wondering if I should leave the bike with Indian Daytona and fly home. I seriously almost passed out. 🤣 Sure, it was a very hot day today, but I’ve ridden all my bikes in high temps/high humidity, and I’ve never experienced anything like this!

Any feedback?
What was the water temp when this was going on?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Riding in 90 plus degrees my bike stays near 180 degrees, back roads not city driving.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were you looking at the bike temp? Was it hotter than normal?
It was steady at 184 the entire time. My bike is usually running in the 180s. What was weird is it was like - as I said - a blow dryer on both sides of the bike. So odd! Never felt anything like
It, including on my chieftain. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably hot air coming of the radiator
Right. Part of me thinks “hey, hot day, you were wiped out, you’re imagining that it was this big calamity.” But man, I have ridden plenty in hot/humid weather, and this was just odd/unusual/atypical. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 Indian Challenger Dark Horse
32 Posts
It was steady at 184 the entire time.
Ive got 16,500 miles on mine, and the lower fairings... city riding at rush hour here in jacksonville, FL mine will get up to 209 and kick the fan on.. brings it back down to 194... thats the only time i'll experience anything like a blow dryer coming from the motor.. that being said.. never anything even remotely close to the amount of heat you're describing. Are you still running the cat?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive got 16,500 miles on mine, and the lower fairings... city riding at rush hour here in jacksonville, FL mine will get up to 209 and kick the fan on.. brings it back down to 194... thats the only time i'll experience anything like a blow dryer coming from the motor.. that being said.. never anything even remotely close to the amount of heat you're describing. Are you still running the cat?
Yeah, my bike is still stock.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have the same issue and my bike has 7400 miles on it. It was friggin unbearable today! It burns the shit out of my right leg to were it’s beat friggin red. The damn thing was unbearable at 80mph today. It was 96 degrees today but still unsatisfactory in my opinion.

·
Bronze member
5,267 Posts
What's funny, is when the Challenger first was coming out, everyone talked about how great it was going to be without the heat due to being water-cooled. Many that had experience with water-cooled bikes warned that just wait until the radiator fan blows all that hot air on you. And the heat would be felt.

Maybe due to the excessive heat of the day, the fan was on high blasting you with the furnace

·
Registered
122 Posts
Water cooled often feels better in mild stop and go traffic than aircooled, due to the added heat sink effect of the radiator. However, as noted above, eventually all that heat goes somewhere, no matter what style motor you have. Be glad you were not riding through GA yesterday. The temperature was just as hot, but the humidity was a lot worse.

·
Registered
Indian Chieftain Ltd 2018
367 Posts
Right. Part of me thinks “hey, hot day, you were wiped out, you’re imagining that it was this big calamity.” But man, I have ridden plenty in hot/humid weather, and this was just odd/unusual/atypical. 🤷‍♂️
we all get this - I know it's odd, it must be odd - I have 10million miles experience - moments.
impressions are nice - measurements and proper analysis step by step are the only thing that can help.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
318 Posts
184 is not an abnormal temp. Like @Gametech, the hot air has to go somewhere. Rmember, you essentially sit on top of the catalytic converter which produces it's own heat. Add that to theheat from the engine (184deg), and it's gonna get effin hot. You can always try something like the heat deflectors that Capt Itch has, but it's a band aid, not a cure. Only other option is to remove the catalytic converter. Just my .02.

·
Bronze member
3,379 Posts
If the temp. gauge was showing 184 then there’s nothing wrong - it was just a hot day. I’ve found the Challenger to be a pleasant relief from the heat compared to my old Roadmaster…which would cook your loins on a 90+ degree day. On this 104 degree day I had no uncomfortable heat on my Challenger.
White Motor vehicle Gps navigation device Vehicle Mode of transport

·
Registered
350 Posts
I hate to say it, but you're talking GA and FL during the summer. Riding in the heat is one thing, riding in the GA and FL heat, where the "feels Like" temp has been reaching 110-112 the last few days, is a whole other thing. If the coolant temp shows 184, it's normal and the fan isn't on. If it creeps up to about 212 you'll definitely feel the fan kick on, but in my experience it's only on for a minute. And my experience is riding in central FL heat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Of course we did have a heat index of 109 in Pensacola yesterday and it's suppose to be that way for at least the next week. Mine will run it the190's and then like Wonk says, it'll drop down when the fan kicks on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! I think/hope that the heat just got to me after a long day, and it was definitely hot in southern SC/northern GA. Bike said the ambient temp was 99-103. Bike ran great, engine temp was stable. Maybe I had some mild heat exhaustion or something, and it just seemed unusual. 🤷‍♂️ I’m on my way to FL later today - will report back if I experience the same phenomenon or I catch fire! 🤣

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! I think/hope that the heat just got to me after a long day, and it was definitely hot in southern SC/northern GA. Bike said the ambient temp was 99-103. Bike ran great, engine temp was stable. Maybe I had some mild heat exhaustion or something, and it just seemed unusual. 🤷‍♂️ I’m on my way to FL later today - will report back if I experience the same phenomenon or I catch fire! 🤣
add about 10 more degrees for heat index over what the bike says the outside temp is. I rode Tuesday and it was 112 with the heat index and my bike has factory hard lowers so it’s hotter than a regular challenger. Even so I don’t get uncomfortable unless I have to sit in traffic forever then my right leg gets hot from the exhaust

1 - 20 of 70 Posts