Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Extended Warranty

16408 Views 67 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  aupc
What are the thoughts behind buying the extended warranty. I am not really too much of a do-it-yourself kind of guy, but I am willing to learn. I do plan on doing some longer trips and it seems that the "loss of use" feature seems nice. Anybody have any experiences positive or negative with the warranty.
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

· Senior member / bronze
1,575 Posts
Not hearing anything from anyone on here that got jerked around on their extended policy
I have made my opinion clear on my experiences with my extended service plan and being jerked around in other threads. I have since cancelled my extended service plan. Extended service plans good way to go If your not adding aftermarket parts. Game over if you are.

· Bronze member
6,270 Posts
I bought a used 2017 Springfield and took it to the dealer get it checked out.

It only had 700 miles on it and checked out to be in perfect condition. The dealer changed the remaining factory warranty over to me and offered the Indian extended warranty as an option.

I’ve never been a fan of extended warranty’s but the amount of expensive electronics on these bikes had me thinking. In the end, I bought an additional 5 year extension of the factory warranty for $1500.00.

I’ve had it for 2 months now and have found that the original owner had gutted the cat and added VandH slip on mufflers. I bought a PVCX and have been working to get the bike tuned to get rid of the clacking. The bike runs great now and I am a happy camper, however, I have come to realize that Polaris would deny coverage on the warranty based on the mods.

I could put back the original exhaust with cat and install factory mufflers. But since the ECM logs info, there is no way I can clear out the non factory tunes and that would void the warranty.

The issue is that the tune that makes the bike run right, voids the warranty. I am seriously considering cancelling the warranty and putting the money away for future problems but $1500 won’t go far with the ECM, cruise control, ABS, etc, etc.

I can live with the cat and mufflers but the tune makes this the best bike I’ve ever owned.

I believe this qualifies as “catch 22”.

You are correct the tune voids the warranty. At the dealer level if you flash back to the original tune they are not any wiser. The digital wrench cannot tell if the bike has been flashed, only what the current tune is. Now Polaris can go deeper and tell, but that only occurs when a big issue like a catastrophic failure of the engine. Good dealers will not rat the customers out as they need the good word of mouth and return business.

· Registered
29 Posts
What are the costs for each of the service milestones? 500 miles, ok.

But my $5000 mile service was going to cost me..Oh, nevermind, you have the Extended Service (?) Plan. I had extreme sticker shock when I heard the 10,000 mile service includes the front fork seals and fluid. I haven't heard anything discussed about out of pocket costs for these services.

· Bronze member
1,573 Posts
I have NEVER been a fan. BUT did purchase DIRECT from Polaris. I feel the potential cost of repairs on these vehicles outweighs the extra $1900 they charged me.
I wouldn't get it from dealer though. Many are not accepted Nationwide
This is the exact opposite of my understanding -- my dealer tells me, and I believe him, that the extended plan they sell me specifically IS accepted at every Indian dealer, period. Am I missing something?

I'm also never big on extended warranties/plans, because I typically buy quality products that are well made, and take care of them. Still, a motorcycle is nt a blender or a big-screen TV. Some expensive stuff can go wrong on a bike like this, and a big part of having coverage is simply the peace of mind (mostly) that comes with it. I'm weighing the three-year extended plan right now -- that's about as much as I can spare -- and have to make up my mind by June 24!

(My dealer's quote for me, FYI, on my 2016 Chief Classic: "Add 5 years for $1400 plus tax , 4 years for $1200 plus tax, 3 years for $1000 plus tax, 2 years for $800 plus tax, and 1 year for $600 plus tax. All are $50 deductible.")

· Registered
7,750 Posts
This is the exact opposite of my understanding -- my dealer tells me, and I believe him, that the extended plan they sell me specifically IS accepted at every Indian dealer, period. Am I missing something?

I'm also never big on extended warranties/plans, because I typically buy quality products that are well made, and take care of them. Still, a motorcycle is nt a blender or a big-screen TV. Some expensive stuff can go wrong on a bike like this, and a big part of having coverage is simply the peace of mind (mostly) that comes with it. I'm weighing the three-year extended plan right now -- that's about as much as I can spare -- and have to make up my mind by June 24!

(My dealer's quote for me, FYI, on my 2016 Chief Classic: "Add 5 years for $1400 plus tax , 4 years for $1200 plus tax, 3 years for $1000 plus tax, 2 years for $800 plus tax, and 1 year for $600 plus tax. All are $50 deductible.")
I have no reason to not believe what your saying. I'd say a good portion of dealer sold warranties are accepted at all Indian Dealerships. These are the same E.S.C. that I purchased direct from Polaris.

There are a few that offer 3rd party policies that will not be accepted at all Indian dealerships.

· Senior member / bronze
1,575 Posts

Extended warranty is well worth the cost as long as you stay away from the dreaded
After market parts. Once you start adding you’ll soon realize it was like flushing money down the toilet.

· Registered
82 Posts
Interesting subject here. I'll have some time to think about it over the 2 yr factory warranty, but if Polaris offers an extended 5 year warranty for $1400-ish, I'll probably do it. Even if I could learn how to do some of the basics on YouTube and others, the fact is for me my 2019 Chieftain has quite a bit of technology/electronics in it that I wouldn't have a clue where to begin to diagnose a problem. I hate the idea of "giving" away my money on a warranty, but on a $20k+ bike, the warranty price seems pretty reasonable and would give me some peace of mind should the bike has some catastrophic failure with a high ticket component.

· Bronze member
2,738 Posts
I have never had extended warranty and to be honest I was offered it as a option when I bought my Chrysler STR 6.4 ,I thought about it especially with Chryslers issues ,but their service towards customers was and is shit. Other than that I usually do stuff that would void the warranty like service the car or bike my self and then take it to the dealers for any software updates or recalls. That saved me big $$$$$ over the years. But having said that if paying for something that makes you feel better and more secure about your bike just do it and don't worry about what others say.

· Bronze member
2,111 Posts
I keep my bikes 4 to 5 yrs and do the miles to justify one. But with the electronics alone it can pay for itself. Not to long back I had 2 radios go on my ultras. The radio alone covered the warranty cost. You have to weigh out time and miles. The electronics scare me more then mechanical in today’s world. I myself can deal with a lot of mechanical.

· Bronze member
1,573 Posts
Down to about a week to decide on extending my warranty. I don't do a lot of miles (maybe 7,000 miles a year at best; no cross-country stuff); I do plan on keeping my bike a long time (probably the last bike I'll ever own); I have no aftermarket stuff on it that has anything to do with transmission or engine or exhaust; and since it's a Chief Classic, it doesn't have a lot of electronics on it (but I know there are some critical ones!). So right now I'm leaning toward getting the $1,000 three-year extension -- although you get a whole additional year for just $200 more. And then another for just another $200 -- basically every year after the first one-year $600 extension is $200. They know what they're doing, don't they! I guess when I factor-in the peace-of-mind that any kind of insurance provides, it's worth it if you can afford it. And hey, it IS my baby...

· Registered
177 Posts
Down to about a week to decide on extending my warranty. I don't do a lot of miles (maybe 7,000 miles a year at best; no cross-country stuff); I do plan on keeping my bike a long time (probably the last bike I'll ever own); I have no aftermarket stuff on it that has anything to do with transmission or engine or exhaust; and since it's a Chief Classic, it doesn't have a lot of electronics on it (but I know there are some critical ones!). So right now I'm leaning toward getting the $1,000 three-year extension -- although you get a whole additional year for just $200 more. And then another for just another $200 -- basically every year after the first one-year $600 extension is $200. They know what they're doing, don't they! I guess when I factor-in the peace-of-mind that any kind of insurance provides, it's worth it if you can afford it. And hey, it IS my baby...
I'm less than 2 weeks away. I ride about 12,000 miles a year or more, including cross country at least once a year, and typically solo. So, I'm going to plunk down the cash for the piece of mind.

· Rider
463 Posts
Not hearing anything from anyone on here that got jerked around on their extended policy
Regret I have to identify as someone that is getting jerked around. On the brochure they gave me when I bought the policy to show what was covered, they provided an impressive list of all the parts and services that one might like to see covered with a policy. Certain repairs to brakes were identified as covered, one of which is the subject of a service bulletin and recall notice, namely the issue with air in the brake system requiring bleeding. The actual contract does not incorporate the same list in the brochure, in fact, there is no list of what parts and service are specifically covered in the contract at all, however there is a list of what is excluded. With respect to brakes this reasonably excludes rotors and brake pads. I view that as a reasonable exclusion because they are designed to wear out like tires and there is no expectation they will last say 5 years. Indian says correcting a total failure of the brakes by having to bleed them is simply not covered, even though he brochure says bleeding brakes is covered. Pressed as to why not, the answer is, bleeding brakes is a result of use and wear. The logic there is kind of disturbing, if the computer fries, engine seizes, or gear box falls apart, whats to prevent them from saying well the failure occurred because you were using the bike which causes wear, we only cover parts and services that fail from causes not related to riding the bike. I though the point of having an extended warranty was to have unexpected repairs from parts not designed to wear out during the contract period taken care of, while riding the bike, not having it sit in the garage. Would be interested in hearing from those who have had warranty success stories as well as getting the old run around

· Bronze member
6,270 Posts
Regret I have to identify as someone that is getting jerked around. On the brochure they gave me when I bought the policy to show what was covered, they provided an impressive list of all the parts and services that one might like to see covered with a policy. Certain repairs to brakes were identified as covered, one of which is the subject of a service bulletin and recall notice, namely the issue with air in the brake system requiring bleeding. The actual contract does not incorporate the same list in the brochure, in fact, there is no list of what parts and service are specifically covered in the contract at all, however there is a list of what is excluded. With respect to brakes this reasonably excludes rotors and brake pads. I view that as a reasonable exclusion because they are designed to wear out like tires and there is no expectation they will last say 5 years. Indian says correcting a total failure of the brakes by having to bleed them is simply not covered, even though he brochure says bleeding brakes is covered. Pressed as to why not, the answer is, bleeding brakes is a result of use and wear. The logic there is kind of disturbing, if the computer fries, engine seizes, or gear box falls apart, whats to prevent them from saying well the failure occurred because you were using the bike which causes wear, we only cover parts and services that fail from causes not related to riding the bike. I though the point of having an extended warranty was to have unexpected repairs from parts not designed to wear out during the contract period taken care of, while riding the bike, not having it sit in the garage. Would be interested in hearing from those who have had warranty success stories as well as getting the old run around

Extended warranties are specifically designed as a easy profit generator for companies buy giving the end user a false "peace of mind". Most sold extended warranties are in fact service contracts and not actual warranties. One of the big hooks is they say is "you especially need it when the electronics go bad" There are tons of exclusions and non covered items hidden in small print.

Dealerships push these warranties as the get a piece of the profit pie from selling them. Some are better than others. But the fine print is always the kicker.

· Registered
33 Posts
I'm not a extended warranty guy. I've never felt the cost was worth it. That said, I'm new to the Indian side of Polaris but the Victory side was a less than favorable experience on anything warranty. All claims were like pulling teeth. I hope Indian is a better experience.
When I bought my 15 Chieftain I got the 5 year warranty for free and it saved me on stuff that the dealer put in for warranty that was not supposed to be. that said I tried to extend it and they told me Indian only does 5 years and then 5 months later I got a letter from Indian asking if I wanted to extend it another 2 years for around 900 bucks. I had no issue with any claims

· Registered
3 Posts
What are the thoughts behind buying the extended warranty. I am not really too much of a do-it-yourself kind of guy, but I am willing to learn. I do plan on doing some longer trips and it seems that the "loss of use" feature seems nice. Anybody have any experiences positive or negative with the warranty.
Honestly why would you bother with WASTING your money on extending your warranty when they can't support you on a normal warranty. I feel there warranty is not worth the paper it is written on, it is like pulling teeth trying to get them replace parts.

· Registered
3 Posts
Don't waste your money as they take for ever to replace parts under the so called normal warranty

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.