Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Extended Warranty

16408 Views 67 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  aupc
What are the thoughts behind buying the extended warranty. I am not really too much of a do-it-yourself kind of guy, but I am willing to learn. I do plan on doing some longer trips and it seems that the "loss of use" feature seems nice. Anybody have any experiences positive or negative with the warranty.
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Founding Member/ Moderator Emeritus
4,862 Posts
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I think I see some need for clarification.

In my experience, a service plan is a pre-paid plan for normal/routine service events, like oil changes and etc. I have that on my Toyota and in their case, they give you two years of it at no extra charge when you buy a Toyota. You can also buy service plans, like I've done, for a vehicle, where you pay in advance for a service plan but you typically get a better deal than if you paid for it all separately. Service plans are not warranties!

Then there's an extended warranty, like Indian's, where you pay something for an extension of your original warranty. And warranties do not cover everything, so it pay to know what is and is not covered. My two-year anniversary on my Classic is coming up and as with other purchases of mine, I try to but quality products and therefore do not buy extended warranties. Indian is a well-made bike so I'm not planning on extending my original warranty. Yes, s**t can happen, but I'll take good care of my bike and roll the dice.
Service Contract is actually the correct term, most everyone refers to them as an "extended warranty."

@Mdunham0519 at the top of the page, left side you will see "tags". if you click on any of those tags you will be directed to threads where this has been discussed, should give you easily two hours of reading.

· Registered
7,750 Posts
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I think I see some need for clarification.

In my experience, a service plan is a pre-paid plan for normal/routine service events, like oil changes and etc. I have that on my Toyota and in their case, they give you two years of it at no extra charge when you buy a Toyota. You can also buy service plans, like I've done, for a vehicle, where you pay in advance for a service plan but you typically get a better deal than if you paid for it all separately. Service plans are not warranties!

Then there's an extended warranty, like Indian's, where you pay something for an extension of your original warranty. And warranties do not cover everything, so it pay to know what is and is not covered. My two-year anniversary on my Classic is coming up and as with other purchases of mine, I try to but quality products and therefore do not buy extended warranties. Indian is a well-made bike so I'm not planning on extending my original warranty. Yes, s**t can happen, but I'll take good care of my bike and roll the dice.
Indian calls it an "Extended Protection Plan" it is effect a warranty with a $50 deductible. It does not cover normal wear and tear items.
I know what your saying. Normally that means oil changes and stuff.

· Registered
289 Posts
I guess the price dropped a little, because I just received this yesterday and I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I am very mechanically inclined but not much of a diagnostician. Simply put, if I know what part is bad, I'm capable of replacing it lol.
Text Font

· Registered
7,750 Posts
I guess the price dropped a little, because I just received this yesterday and I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I am very mechanically inclined but not much of a diagnostician. Simply put, if I know what part is bad, I'm capable of replacing it lol. View attachment 474682
I THINK the price might be tied to which model you own?

· Registered
289 Posts
Yeah I would like to hear from people with 2015 or older bikes which are not modified to see what typical issues I can expect. Most times people that experience an issue usually dont tell that they have PC installed or FuelMoto or a host of other changes that could lead to an issue. Taking all of those mods out of the picture I'd like to know what issues these bikes typically have.

Well older? Lol

· Registered
7,750 Posts
Yeah I would like to hear from people with 2015 or older bikes which are not modified to see what typical issues I can expect. Most times people that experience an issue usually dont tell that they have PC installed or FuelMoto or a host of other changes that could lead to an issue. Taking all of those mods out of the picture I'd like to know what issues these bikes typically have.

Well older? Lol
Agreed, but some of the earlier issues were resolved by Polaris in later models, so keep that in mind as well.

· Registered
289 Posts
Agreed, but some of the earlier issues were resolved by Polaris in later models, so keep that in mind as well.
Well, there is that as well. $1600 may be money well spent. Plus theres a $50 deductible. I think I have until 18 April to make a decision.

It's just hard to buy these after being a salesman, and knowing what a dealer pays for them and what we sell them for. These extended warranties/service plan or whatever name you prefer typically cost $400 for GM vehicles but sell for $1200 - $2000. Just makes me want to cry knowing that I'm being raped lol but this is directly from Polaris, and not through a dealer. If that even makes a difference.

· Registered
7,750 Posts
Well, there is that as well. $1600 may be money well spent. Plus theres a $50 deductible. I think I have until 18 April to make a decision.

It's just hard to buy these after being a salesman, and knowing what a dealer pays for them and what we sell them for. These extended warranties/service plan or whatever name you prefer typically cost $400 for GM vehicles but sell for $1200 - $2000. Just makes me want to cry knowing that I'm being raped lol but this is directly from Polaris, and not through a dealer. If that even makes a difference.
Well I have never been a fan BUT 1 of my Mercedes Benz Sprinters just went into starts shutdown. It gives you 10 Starts before it wont start again until serviced.
Took it in to dealer. Its a 2014 with 190,00 miles. Ive had no issues with it. Dealer calls me yesterday. Says, the bad news is, it needs an entirely new exhaust. Good news, you bought the extended warranty in 14 and its covered entirely.
This was a commercial purchase, and I don't recall purchasing a extended warranty. I'm not arguing. Its over 5k in repairs (MB 3.0 twin turbodiesel).
Salesman is a friend. I think he added it on purpose without asking.

· Registered
7,750 Posts

My thoughts on any newer vehicle. The electronics alone have become so complex. At least have the warranty covering the length of your loan.
Im not a bad shade tree Mechanic, but know nothing about the modern electronics of these new beast.

· Registered
289 Posts
Well I have never been a fan BUT 1 of my Mercedes Benz Sprinters just went into starts shutdown. It gives you 10 Starts before it wont start again until serviced.
Took it in to dealer. Its a 2014 with 190,00 miles. Ive had no issues with it. Dealer calls me yesterday. Says, the bad news is, it needs an entirely new exhaust. Good news, you bought the extended warranty in 14 and its covered entirely.
This was a commercial purchase, and I don't recall purchasing a extended warranty. I'm not arguing. Its over 5k in repairs (MB 3.0 twin turbodiesel).
Salesman is a friend. I think he added it on purpose without asking.
You're like yeah that extended warranty lol. Certainly to your benefit now.

· Registered
7,750 Posts
You're like yeah that extended warranty lol. Certainly to your benefit now.
When he called, I said "is that some federally mandated requirement on the emissions?" He said "no, you bought an extended warranty at time of purchase". I said "oh, I remember now".
Then he's like all apologetic because they had to order the exhaust and it wont be done for TWO DAYS! I'm like thats fine, take your time, Im just glad it didn't break down on the road. He said no worries, thats covered too, to the closest MB SPRINTER authorized dealer.
Not all MB dealers are allowed to sell and repair the Sprinter. They have to have Sprinter Techs on staff.

· Bronze member
2,111 Posts
I don’t know who the supplier is for the Indian extended plans. But I’ve had them on 3 of my Electra Glides and with Harleys $50 deductible they more then payed for themselves 2 to 3 times over. If you put the miles on and your going to run it 4 to 5 years. I think they can be worth while. I put between 15 and 20g on a season so for me if the policy is anything like Harleys it’s worth while. I had 1 Electra Glide just in radios they replaced 2 of them. One of them by the time I hit 90g replaced starter, stator voltage regulator and main primary bearing, rear schocks. Money well spent in my eyes. But like mentioned I don’t know how well indians extended policy works. But I’m probably gonna find out down the road.

· Registered
7,750 Posts
I don’t know who the supplier is for the Indian extended plans. But I’ve had them on 3 of my Electra Glides and with Harleys $50 deductible they more then payed for themselves 2 to 3 times over. If you put the miles on and your going to run it 4 to 5 years. I think they can be worth while. I put between 15 and 20g on a season so for me if the policy is anything like Harleys it’s worth while. I had 1 Electra Glide just in radios they replaced 2 of them. One of them by the time I hit 90g replaced starter, stator voltage regulator and main primary bearing, rear schocks. Money well spent in my eyes. But like mentioned I don’t know how well indians extended policy works. But I’m probably gonna find out down the road.
Polaris like most manufacturers purchase an Insurance policy against failure. The Insurance company rates it based upon reliability statistics of said model.

· Bronze member
2,530 Posts
Polaris like most manufacturers purchase an Insurance policy against failure. The Insurance company rates it based upon reliability statistics of said model.
Complete numbers game and you know what they say, the House usually wins

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.