Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Extended Warranty

16406 Views 67 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  aupc
What are the thoughts behind buying the extended warranty. I am not really too much of a do-it-yourself kind of guy, but I am willing to learn. I do plan on doing some longer trips and it seems that the "loss of use" feature seems nice. Anybody have any experiences positive or negative with the warranty.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Bronze member
2,530 Posts
My original 2 year warranty is expiring this coming May. I just read all of the solicitation for the extended plan. I got cams, gutted cat, pvcx, slip on exhaust and aftermarket intake, clutch and more in my bike. I'm handy with pretty much most repairs except maybe cracking open the engine case for something major. For me I'd rather put the $1900 in a high yield savings account or 5 yr CD and use it exclusively for any major repairs than to hand it over to Indian/Polaris and "maybe" receive coverage. The reason I say maybe and this may apply to the OP is that you said you're possibly planning some long trips on your bike, me too, so that automatically places unknown dealers and/or service reps that most likely don't know you, have never talked or even met you let alone your bike. Sure it's an Indian but over that last 2 yrs that I've been hanging around this site Indian warranty claims can sometimes be maybe/maybe on a stock bike (depending on the warranty claim) I'd hate to think what they'd think about my modified ride. And that with just that word alone, modified, the dealer can turn anyone away. Am I taking a risk by not buying an extended warranty/service plan, yep definitely. Is my bike going to cost me over $1900 in future shop repairs, no idea, time will tell, from what I've heard, seen and continue to research so far I'd say not. And in 5 yrs hopefully, God willing I'll have close to $2,000 to put into new performance parts and beer money! Cheers.

Reactions: Geoff-3 and rolly

· Bronze member
2,530 Posts
Polaris like most manufacturers purchase an Insurance policy against failure. The Insurance company rates it based upon reliability statistics of said model.
Complete numbers game and you know what they say, the House usually wins

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.