Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got through to my dealer today about the call for the extended warranty. Indian is offering a 5-year extension on it's bumper-to-bumper warranty for $2300 (about $1750 USD). It is regular $2800 but it is being offered at $2300 as a promo this month. That will take my warranty to 2024 (purchased my bike new last year).

I do plan to keep the bike (regardless, the warranty can be transferred to a purchaser for $100 and to a new bike for a fee). I also think that there is such a technology load on the RM that repairing any of it could be very costly. So, this appears to be about $470 per year for the warranty.

What do y'all think?

Len

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think extended warranty's on bikes are a wise investment.

In the U.S. polaris offered me 7 years for $1600.

·
Rider
1,146 Posts
just prior to my original 2 year warranty running out, I purchased an additional 3 years for $2000 CAD on my 2016 Roadmaster.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i got a 2 year extension (4 total) for 300 a year or 600 if i recall . Although i haven't needed it, i wish i did a 5 year as i dont plan to get rid of it anytime soon

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
445 Posts
I got a 72 month warranty for $1300. The original quote had the extended warranty at $1995, which I declined. When I signed the paperwork, I was offered the extended warranty at $1300, which I took.

·
Super Moderator
4,908 Posts
So, I finally got through to my dealer today about the call for the extended warranty. Indian is offering a 5-year extension on it's bumper-to-bumper warranty for $2300 (about $1750 USD). It is regular $2800 but it is being offered at $2300 as a promo this month. That will take my warranty to 2024 (purchased my bike new last year).

I do plan to keep the bike (regardless, the warranty can be transferred to a purchaser for $100 and to a new bike for a fee). I also think that there is such a technology load on the RM that repairing any of it could be very costly. So, this appears to be about $470 per year for the warranty.

What do y'all think?

Len
I think it's a pretty good idea if you're keeping the bike and not doing mods. I've had a cylinder head and a VCM replaced on #37. I know those repairs cost way more than the cost of that service agreement. However, as has been pointed out, these contracts are for peace of mind, just like a seat belt. You hope you never need it....but thank God it's there if you do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My warranty expires 10 October. Letter I just got back from Polaris shows $1900 for 7 years. Going back and forth on whether to extend warranty. Mainly because I want to in install Fuel Moto Jackpot header pipe and tow a trailer again. If I wasn't going to do these mods, I would probably extend warranty.

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts
Just make sure it’s a national warranty and not just from that specific dealer

I would get it. It’s a piece of mind and a selling point if you ever do decide to sell

Dealers make $$ on them. That’s why they sell them. But there’s been a few guys on here that have gotten their monies worth

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just make sure it’s a national warranty and not just from that specific dealer

I would get it. It’s a piece of mind and a selling point if you ever do decide to sell

Dealers make $$ on them. That’s why they sell them. But there’s been a few guys on here that have gotten their monies worth
I have never had a company push extended warranties except at sale time. I have been trying to figure out Indian's angle. If the bikes are reliable and there aren't many claims, it's good to sell warranties - for them. If there are a high number of claims, then they need more people in the pool to pay for all the costs - good for them. It's hard to know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,908 Posts
I have never had a company push extended warranties except at sale time. I have been trying to figure out Indian's angle. If the bikes are reliable and there aren't many claims, it's good to sell warranties - for them. If there are a high number of claims, then they need more people in the pool to pay for all the costs - good for them. It's hard to know for sure.
Normally, Service Contract sales also generate income for the finance manager, dealer principal and dealership. You'd be surprised to know that around $150, of that $1750, is actually set aside for pure claim reserves.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,825 Posts
With these things being controlled by a computer and you plan on keeping it, I'd go for it. I purchased it on mine when I bought mine but I was trained by Harley where I was always at the dealer getting SOMETHING fixed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have been trying to figure out Indian's angle. If the bikes are reliable and there aren't many claims, it's good to sell warranties - for them. If there are a high number of claims, then they need more people in the pool to pay for all the costs - good for them. It's hard to know for sure.

Good question! My 2014 warranty is coming to an end. Do the extended warranties cover the same as the original warranty. My only claim in thirty thousand miles was for the stage one Shot gun muffler tips that were corroding internally.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What does the warranty cover? What's covered/how long if you don't have the extended warranty?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Just waiting to look at the contract they are proposing but my understanding is that it is an extension of the original Indian "limited warranty" that covers everything like when the bike was new. In my case, they are offering me an extra 5 years over Indian's original 2 years giving me a full 7 years of coverage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just waiting to look at the contract they are proposing but my understanding is that it is an extension of the original Indian "limited warranty" that covers everything like when the bike was new. In my case, they are offering me an extra 5 years over Indian's original 2 years giving me a full 7 years of coverage.
Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
So everything except wear and tear? Not brakepads, nor tires, rotors or headstock bearings if they wear after 20k miles for instance? Is that correct?

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
So what is included mind if I ask? Pretty sure they don’t cover rusty fenders either....

(imho extended warranties are waste of money at minimum, and a scam in some cases)

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,825 Posts
So what is included mind if I ask? Pretty sure they don’t cover rusty fenders either....

(imho extended warranties are waste of money at minimum, and a scam in some cases)
You get a ECM that's failed and you might change your tune. And they do fail unfortunately. It's like insurance. You hope you never have to use it but it's there if you do.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts