Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Early Joiner
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a low mileage 2016 Springfield whose 2 yr warranty expires this Friday. I am considering purchasing the extended 3 year warranty. Costs 1200 bucks, or 400 per year. Opinions? Seems expensive but maybe worth it. I also own a 2014 Classic that has the 5 year warranty which is a good feeling to know I’m covered. On the other hand I’ve never had a problem with any of my several Victory’s I owned over the years nor any major issue with any of my three Indians. I’m just a bit torn!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I going through the same thought process of my warranty coming due at the end April. Im a shade tree mech so its hard to go with an extended warranty when I'm thinking that my 2016 Chieftain with 13,000 (trouble free) will run for a long time with great preventive maintenance. Please share your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
I got the extended on my Scout Sixty. I think I got jacked for $1200.

·
610 Posts
Purchasing an extended warranty is like buying insurance.....you hope you never need it, but are thankful it’s in place if required. Vehicles are one of the few items where I purchase extended warranties. For me it’s the peace of mind knowing that in most situations I won’t have to fork out a ton of money to repair my bike if something goes haywire. $1200 doesn’t go far today with the high cost of parts and labor. Ask yourself this question....do you feel lucky?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think it depends on how many miles you pile on a year. If ya put on the miles then wear and tear goes up. I got the extended because of this reason.

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
Check out Ball Equipment. They were offering the Polaris extended warranty for 25% off.

They seem to be into off road stuff but can sell the mc extended warranty.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
I own a low mileage 2016 Springfield whose 2 yr warranty expires this Friday. I am considering purchasing the extended 3 year warranty. Costs 1200 bucks, or 400 per year. Opinions? Seems expensive but maybe worth it. I also own a 2014 Classic that has the 5 year warranty which is a good feeling to know I’m covered. On the other hand I’ve never had a problem with any of my several Victory’s I owned over the years nor any major issue with any of my three Indians. I’m just a bit torn!
I going through the same thought process of my warranty coming due at the end April. Im a shade tree mech so its hard to go with an extended warranty when I'm thinking that my 2016 Chieftain with 13,000 (trouble free) will run for a long time with great preventive maintenance. Please share your thoughts. Thanks
As stated above, it's a peace of mind thing. Recently replied to someone asking if the Service Contract (you call it an extended warranty) is a good deal. I simply stated if you have a lot of money, don't buy it and pay for repairs yourself. If you don't have a lot of money and can't afford to pay for potential repairs, might consider the purchase.

I take excellent care of my bike, all required maintenance is performed and I haven't modified my bike with add on performance accessories. In the 4 years of ownership I've had a cylinder head replaced and an ECM replaced. Those failures had nothing to do with me, the way I ride nor any modifications. For each repair performed I rode away paying a $50 deductible.

I would suggest to each of you, if you purchase make sure it's the Polaris warranty, not an aftermarket. Also, pay very close attention to the coverage your purchasing, normally there are different levels of coverage. Another important thing, confirm the Contract's starting date and mileage, NO need to pay for coverage from the in-service date!!

Regarding pricing, there is a lot of profit built into these products. Dave, you said the cost was $1200 quoted. Normally the TRUE price of the Contract is 1/3 the cost they quote because the dealership is adding profit and normally there is a commission paid to sales/finance department.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Good advice so far. I bought the extended warranty for my Roadmaster because it had it's fair share of issues. The warranty paid off when they had to crack the engine in half to fix the oil leak.
It's all about peace of mind and how much you feel like you may or may not use the warranty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
read read read and read the terms again. 3 year on a 16 $1200 it does not extend your warranty 3 years the effective date of your extended goes back to the original purchase date so you only get 1 year for 1200.
I just went through that and canceled it. by the way mine was $800 direct from Polaris

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Insurance companies are some of the most profitable in the world. Hmmmm?

·
Rider
435 Posts
I purchased extended warranty on my car new Subaru outback in 2103 for bumper to bumper 4year/150k for $ 1400 dollars. Well Fargo warranty services screwed on at 60423 miles when transmission failed. They refused my transmission claim and I had find junk yard transmission it cost me $2495.I don’t believe any of warranty companies are real and are you going spend 5k lawyer fee for $2500 repair?

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts
Open a motorcycle account and throw the amount you pay divided by 12 in it each month or maybe a few bucks more. Warranty yourself and keep the legal pick pockets out of your wallet. I’ve done it for years. JMHO.

Reactions: V2Neal
1 - 13 of 13 Posts