Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the extended warranty on my new dark horse (4) more years plus the (2) that comes with the bike. What do you guys think worth the $$$$ or not. Thoughts. Thanks

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,388 Posts
Usually 'no', not worth it.....once in a while 'yes', worth it.

Personally, I've never needed an extended warranty, though I bought one once when I purchased a new Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter in 2007, I didn't trust the CVT transmission they had so wanted some insurance in case it failed prematurely....it didn't, but back then, an extended warranty didn't cost anywhere near $1800 either, nor did they f#ck you over with $150 an hour shop rates like Indian currently does.

·
5,388 Posts
They told me it covers the bike bumper to bumper. But I will check & let u know as soon as I can !!!!
Better read that contract closely, motorcycles don't have 'bumpers' on either end, so they may be giving themselves a way out of covering repairs with that wording.

;)

·
5,388 Posts
So I got the extended warranty on my new dark horse (4) more years plus the (2) that comes with the bike. What do you guys think worth the $$$$ or not. Thoughts. Thanks

So, with the addition of your extended warranty, you now have six consecutive years of protection (4+2=6?), or do the first 2 years of factory warranty overlap with the first 2 years of the extended warranty, effectively giving you 4 years of total warranty from the bike's purchase date and not 6?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Its definitely worth it and it’s pro rated if you sell your bike within the 6 year time frame. And if you sell your bike it’s a excellent option for the next person to purchase the remaining time in the warranty. The labor rates at my Indian dealer are $145 per hour and what a joke lol. Just imagine 3 years from now you have issues with your bike just a minor repair is gonna be $700-$1200 easily and should something happen again....etc. I just sold my Harley with Milwaukee 8 motor which ran fine for me but many stories of sumping issues. If that motor fails omg that’s a 5k plus mistake I’m sure, so glad the purchaser has the extended warranty. He won’t be calling me and saying thanks man for costing him thousands in repairs possibly. And normal wear and tear are not part of the warranty and as I said NORMAL. The brake pads and tires won’t be covered for normal wear and tear. Today’s cars and even now more than ever before Motorcycles are rolling computers. Just one electrical and or computer related issue will be a $1000 bill plus. And summing it up you can cancel the extended warranty at anytime and be refunded the money pro rated it’s chump change on a bike these days.

Reactions: HD HTR

·
Registered
2 Posts
TS
Happy you got a new GREAT scooter!
You asked for opinions so here goes:
1. I never buy an extended warranty. You have two full years to determine if your bike is a dog (it’s not). If it is you may consider selling it, if all goes well you may not feel the need for it.
2. Therefore, if you really want to buy the extended warranty do it in two years not now. Regardless of what salesman says, it will not cost you more later. Go in on the last day of the month or quarter when they have to hit their numbers and you can probably buy it for less. Simple time value of money. Also there are multiple companies who offer EW programs and you can get them to bid against each other to further lower price.
3. Don’t ever ever ever buy extended warranty insurance if you are financing a purchase. Why borrow money today, make pmts, rack up interest on something you will not (can not) use for over two years.
4. Extended warranties (when you already have a two full year warranty), Lotto tickets, and timeshares are a tax on people who are bad at math.
Just my two cents...enjoy your ride! Always a great decision to buy an Indian.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bought it for my Vic. After a year traded for the Indian. Most of the cost was refunded and applied to the Indian. I figure I bought peace of mind for, at the rate I’m going, 70 to 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I purchased one for my 15 Roadmaster
Glad I did. Radio Module went out.
Replacement was covered under warranty
If not would of cost me approximately $1000
Or more.
It’s nice to have it in your back pocket just in case.
BTW. I never buy extended warranties on anything. But I cannot and will not work on something so technical as the electronics on my bike or any vehicle I own

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,225 Posts
Depends also on how long you intend to keep the bike, If you're one of those who trade every 2 or 3 years no. If you keep the bike for say 5 or more years then yes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup plan on keeping the bike until I can’t ride anymore then I’m giving it to my son. I’m 57 so I hope there are a few more years left in me. LOL. I will put between 5K & 10K a year on her.

·
Rider
420 Posts
Yup plan on keeping the bike until I can’t ride anymore then I’m giving it to my son. I’m 57 so I hope there are a few more years left in me. LOL. I will put between 5K & 10K a year on her.
A little on the extended warranties for anything. The sellers make money on them or they wouldn't offer them. So basically they have fewer bikes with problems then people they can con out of the extra cash for the extended warranty. However if you happen to have that bike with a problem it's well worth it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,225 Posts
It's basically an insurance policy so yeah they make a ton on them. The whole thing is like gambling and the house wins most of the time.

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts
Depends on your riding style. I bought 3 years of extended warranty/unlimited miles 30 days before my factory warranty expired. I'm 6 months into the extra 3. By the time the next 2 1/2 years are up I will have 100k or more miles on my ride. I consider it a good investment for me but may not be for everyone. The key is to keep receipts for everything even if you do your own maintenance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts