Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remember correctly my dealer said I could buy an extended three-year warranty (total 5 years) for my Scout for $449 (maybe it was $499). I've never been one to buy extended warranties for various reasons: too much fine print, deductibles, seldom needed, seldom kept the product beyond the factory warranty...

But I plan to keep my Scout for a good long time. Considering what Indian charges for standard maintenance service and materials, maybe it's not a bad idea to invest the $$$ and add three years to the warranty.

Thoughts?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
My thoughts on extended warranties on motorcycles is that if you have to ask then you probably need one.

These bikes are getting more complex every day. The time of taking out your Buck knife on the edge of the road during breakdown are long behind us now. The out of pocket expense of a single breakdown would cover the cost of the warranty.

Like always, buyer beware...read the thing to see what it covers and what is excluded. Buy it and hope you never need it.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have asked the dealer if this is an Indian sponsored warranty. Anyone know if Indian offers an extended warranty?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've had many a bike I've meant to keep a good long time only to get rid of it within a year. Just sayin.

·
Founding member
1,031 Posts
I had one on my Electra Glide and it more than paid for itself. I have friends who would say the same. To me, it depends on how many miles you put on each year. If you ride the national average for motorcycles, less than 2000 miles/year, you probably won't need one. 'Probably'. :) If you put 10,000 miles on a year your chances of wishing you had one increase a lot. Over 20,000 miles/year the odds really soar. Extended warranties on bikes also give you a lot of peace of mind, knowing you are covered. Best of luck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
No one needs an extended warranty until something breaks. It's a roll of the dice. I do know that extended warranties can offer peace of mind. They do for me whether I use them or not.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've never been a believer in extended warranties , however as BD said these bikes are getting more complex and harder to work on for the average Joe.
With fly by wire, EFI, tire pressure sensors, cruise control, VCM, etc.:rolleyes:, while they are nice to have, these things can get pretty expensive to diagnose and repair. so it may be a small price to pay if you need it.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
On my 01 Roadglide I had a 5 year extended... I believe it was about 1200.00.. You prolly could get one cheaper I don't know..
I believe it was 50.00 for each visit for repair/replace... It's been 10 years so I don't remember the exact details.

But what I do remember is that if you didn't have a good mechanic.... You'd be back having it fixed again. So until I found a good mechanic the warrantee paid for itself.

My new 2014 Road King comes with a factory 2 year.. Unlimited miles. They will even replace things like clutch cables and chrome that is worn by the cables rubbing the chrome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that they MAKE money on extended warranties. They are telling you that they are betting you won't need it. That being said, I did get one on my 2012 Road Glide as I ride about 15,000 miles per year. So far, I have not used it.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The new Indian bikes have not been out long enough to know if a five year warranty is worth it. That being said one visit after the normal warranty runs out could cost you as much as the price. I would buy it, but not a problem my 2014 came with 5 years.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that they MAKE money on extended warranties. They are telling you that they are betting you won't need it. That being said, I did get one on my 2012 Road Glide as I ride about 15,000 miles per year. So far, I have not used it.
If you are the weekend rider only putting on a few thousand a year it may not payoff, but if you ride like Navyman it could

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
The new Indian bikes have not been out long enough to know if a five year warranty is worth it. That being said one visit after the normal warranty runs out could cost you as much as the price. I would buy it, but not a problem my 2014 came with 5 years.
As much as repairs are I think it's a good idea to have extended.. I think the trick is to get it at the best price..
I ride about 10,000 miles a year. It's comforting to know if anything happens its covered.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Floyd,
I concur with a previous comment that the company offering the extended service contract is typically offering the product to make money.
On the other hand, the cost that you mentioned is relatively cheap, the Indian product line is new and there are still questions about long term durability, and given the high price of accessories and replacement parts, an extended warranty can certainly be justified.
My humble two cents..

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
As vehicles become more technologically advanced, the cost to repair those technologically advanced vehicles has increased as well. If you're able to put a substantial amount of money back for repairs then that would be the way to go, no need to meet the exacting criteria required by a Service Contract. However, if you can't put back that substantial amount of money the Service Contract is the way to go. Remember, it is a contract, you as the vehicle owner have certain and specific obligations to the Service Contract and does the Service Contract provider.

As an individual who works with "Extended Warranty" companies, we/they are, without a doubt, in it to make money!! You sure wouldn't want to be in that business for enjoyment!! However, I personally know that thousands of dollars a day are paid out in claims. Not everyone will have a claim, some will have multiple claims.

Here is some good reading regarding Warranties and Service Contracts.
Extended Warranties and Service Contracts | Consumer Information

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,868 Posts
I've had Harley's too long to ever be without some kind of warranty. Never seen it fail that a week after I let a warranty laps something breaks or stops working. Just my luck so I buy the extended warrant. My 07 just had the ECM fail. Without the extended warranty I would have been out big bucks. It still cost $120 with the little items that they found that fell under the wear item category. Like a rear brake switch I didn't even know wasn't working. Never use rear brake except for emergency which means front brake was triggering brake lights anyway. But it was part of the "potential" problems that needed fixed.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My dealer sent me this explanation of the Indian extended warranty. It looks like it covers the same stuff as the warranty that originally comes with the bike. Other than the $50.00 deductible, it looks like a decent deal, right? Am I missing anything?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
Yes, it looks pretty good.....but remember this is nothing more than a sales brochure. This highlights the available coverage, it's designed to make you feel this is a good product and will protect you.....and it most likely will.

See the outside cover, back page. "Provided & Administered by Polaris Sales Inc., Polaris Industries Inc. and Wesco Insurance. This is not a Contract...brochure limited by size...The entire terms and conditions of the agreement are included in the VESC...".

See the inside cover, *Exclusions; ...Non-OEM accessories and modifications void coverage. See you vehicle extended service contract for a complete list of exclusions and requirements.

Look at the vehicle rental clause, I've haven't been able to rent a car for $20 a day since 1986 and I bet it's on a reimbursement basis, submit the bill and wait for a check. Pick-up service, no way someone is going to come out and pick up your bike for $50, you'll be paying more out of your pocket (most cases) than $50 for the pick-up.

SO, the sales brochure is made to look good and made to look like it will take care of you....and it probably will. However, you should check the requirements (which I'm sure is maintenance) and you should check the exclusions. My favorite exclusion is "cylinder block, casings and heads are covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal component". That means cracks in the eng/trans case or cylinder heads due to heat are not covered. I'm surprised they included the exclusion about mods in the brochure, I've created nearly 50 of these brochures myself and I've never put an exclusion in a sales brochure!!

Again, I have worked for a "warranty company" previously for many years and still do a lot of work with warranty companies and regardless of the horror stories, they pay claims by the terms and conditions of the Contract. It's the folks that don't follow the Contracts rules (maintenance, prior authorization, modifications) that always scream how warranty companies are nothing more than rip-offs. The Company I work directly with pays thousands of dollars a day in claims!!

Are warranty companies perfect, NO. Do warranty companies make mistakes on claims, YES. Would I purchase a service contract on my bike, HELL YES. You see, I'm not going to race my bike, I'm not going to modify my bike, I'm going to have the required maintenance performed to my bike. So, based upon that criteria, I should have no problems meeting MY requirements to this binding legal Contract. ;)

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good info and advice. I will definitely ask about the exclusions and maintenance requirements. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
No problem Floyd. I've been on the phone, I've been in the war room with attorneys and I've been in the court room with warranties, my area of expertise and I freely offer the info to my fellow riders!

It's good to know Polaris is backing this, I'm sometimes leery of 3rd party administrators, they have no dog in the fight.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts