Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a 2015 Roadmaster and of course they asked about purchasing extended warranty. I was told there are 2 types to consider.

1) VHS, vehicle service contract which is for 72 months (actually it is a 4 year extension after the initial 2 years) and this is $1,259.00
2) Tire & Wheels which is for 60 months (actually it is a 3 year extension after the initial 2 years) and this is $499.00
I can't find anything in writing about the Tire & Wheel warranty part which bothers me.

So my questions are, has anyone looked into this? I like the VHS part but Tire & Wheels? Never heard of this when I had had bought my HD.
Also, they said I have to pay for this upon receiving my Roadmaster. It seems like I should be able to purchase this after the 2 year regular warranty is about to expire.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
First, let me clarify a misnomer here. A WARRANTY is a protection that is given to the product purchaser at NO CHARGE. However, a SERVICE CONTRACT is a complete and totally different product from the manufacturers warranty, coverage is almost always different, it's administered by a third party an you PAY for a Service Contract.

Now, I would be very weary of the "extension of the manufacturers warranty" verbiage, the dealer is required (by law) to allow you to view the coverage you're purchasing. Chances are the coverages are very different. Remember with Service Contract coverage is precluded by the fact that "you must maintain the vehicle as outlined by the manufacturers recommended service schedule in your owners manual." If you do not do this nor can you prove the recommended maintenance has been performed, you will most likely have to pay for those repairs yourself. Also, Service Contracts generally offer limited coverage, "only these parts are named/listed for coverage" is normal verbiage in a Service Contract so if your finance guy tells you it's "the same coverage as" or "this is an extension of the factory warranty" I'd be very weary!!

Contracts for tires and wheels are generally for "road hazards" only. Therefore, you pick up a nail and need a repair the Tire & Wheel policy would pay for the repair, likewise if you had a wheel/rim damaged from a road hazard the Policy would pay for it's replacement.....granted you or your service provider call in a claim prior to any work being performed. Again, most tire policies are for road hazards, wear is not covered.

Review the Policy before you purchase it, ask questions if you don't understand the coverage!

·
Registered
180 Posts
From personal experience. Get the warranty. Our Indians are new an despite the punishing workouts Polaris has given our toys we still find ways to break them. I recently disconnected my transmission from the clutch pedal. Would have cost me $300 to fix it. It was free for me. Food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
I recently disconnected my transmission from the clutch pedal. Would have cost me $300 to fix it. It was free for me. Food for thought.
I was curious as to what happened to your bike, I had read that you were stuck in first.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Shuje,

I'll post a photo when I can. The mechanic took some pictures for the engineers at Polaris. Basically my clutch pedal slipped off the part where it connects to the transmission. It's not bolted on, it's held there by a link. When the pedal became disconnected that was all she wrote. Everyone has been shaking their heads about it (including me). The mechanic was able to repair the connection quickly. Nothing broken. I wasn't riding aggressively when it happened. I was at a light having downshifted from 4th.
I did expect some pushback from my dealer. My dealer where I bought the bike (San Diego Victory and Indian) and the dealership where I took it (indian motorcycles of Orange County) were super great about it. I contacted Polaris and they handled it perfectly. They helped arrange transport of my bike and it didn't cost me a thing. They knew it was covered bumper to bumper and Polaris told the dealer "do everything it takes to fix the bike".

I rode from Orange County to San Diego yesterday for the riders meeting. Then eight of us went up into the mountains in Jullian. I backtracked home over the hills past "Hell's Kitchen" and home without any issues. The bike performed admirably for a 225mile round trip.

One of the guys in our rider group has an issue with his cruise control becoming disconnected if he hits a bump. Polaris can't reproduce the problem and hasn't repaired it.

I want to emphasize that we have a year of free roadside assistance. I don't think a lot of owners know that. I didn't.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Hey Shuje,

I'll post a photo when I can. The mechanic took some pictures for the engineers at Polaris. Basically my clutch pedal slipped off the part where it connects to the transmission. It's not bolted on, it's held there by a link. When the pedal became disconnected that was all she wrote. Everyone has been shaking their heads about it (including me). The mechanic was able to repair the connection quickly. Nothing broken. I wasn't riding aggressively when it happened. I was at a light having downshifted from 4th.
I did expect some pushback from my dealer. My dealer where I bought the bike (San Diego Victory and Indian) and the dealership where I took it (indian motorcycles of Orange County) were super great about it. I contacted Polaris and they handled it perfectly. They helped arrange transport of my bike and it didn't cost me a thing. They knew it was covered bumper to bumper and Polaris told the dealer "do everything it takes to fix the bike".

I rode from Orange County to San Diego yesterday for the riders meeting. Then eight of us went up into the mountains in Jullian. I backtracked home over the hills past "Hell's Kitchen" and home without any issues. The bike performed admirably for a 225mile round trip.

One of the guys in our rider group has an issue with his cruise control becoming disconnected if he hits a bump. Polaris can't reproduce the problem and hasn't repaired it.

I want to emphasize that we have a year of free roadside assistance. I don't think a lot of owners know that. I didn't.
Awesome! Glad to hear that it wasn't something "real bad". I'll look forward to the photo. I've had a good look a the shifter and clutch connections while I was cleaning under the bike because the extrememly rough dirt/gravel roads shake things loose.

·
Registered
180 Posts
image.jpg
The lever below the silver disc is the clutch pedal.
The two teeth are supposed to be connected behind the metal disc. The space
between the teeth are supposed to be touching the disc. In the photo it is free
floating. No connection. No shifting. I was stuck in first which was lucky. Second would have
been tough ,third would have been really tough to start from a stop. I wouldn't have tried forth or fifth or sixth.
Ive heard that lugging an engine is bad for it but I welcome comments in that.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
What other labor was involved other than pulling the cover- exhaust, cable, mounts,?
Not much Walt. The labor was covered. The mechanic at the dealership wanted to replace the part. Polaris said no to watch it. They did email lots of photos to Polaris. Labor was four hours worth. They fixed the problem and replaced all the parts with the original was my understanding. It cost me nothing. I paid nothing out of pocket. Nothing for the tow to the dealership either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have ordered a 2015 Roadmaster and of course they asked about purchasing extended warranty. I was told there are 2 types to consider.

1) VHS, vehicle service contract which is for 72 months (actually it is a 4 year extension after the initial 2 years) and this is $1,259.00
2) Tire & Wheels which is for 60 months (actually it is a 3 year extension after the initial 2 years) and this is $499.00
I can't find anything in writing about the Tire & Wheel warranty part which bothers me.

So my questions are, has anyone looked into this? I like the VHS part but Tire & Wheels? Never heard of this when I had had bought my HD.
Also, they said I have to pay for this upon receiving my Roadmaster. It seems like I should be able to purchase this after the 2 year regular warranty is about to expire.
Purchased an extended service contract. Am on the road and it is about to run out. Not even the Indian dealer I stopped at knows who to contact to purchase an extension. Any one know who to call? Used current contract to replace fuel pump and ECU, so has been worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts