Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rider
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2yr factory warranty will be expiring this month, and I am on the fence about buying an extended warranty. I've got about 16K miles on this bike, and I typically ride about 8-10K / yr. So far, my factory warranty has only had to cover an output shaft seal leak, voltage regulator replacement, rear tire TPMS sensor, and some crinkling chrome wheel molding. I'm curious how many of you purchased extended warranties, and what if anything they have covered (or gotten repaired under warranty)???

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My 2yr factory warranty will be expiring this month, and I am on the fence about buying an extended warranty. I've got about 16K miles on this bike, and I typically ride about 8-10K / yr. So far, my factory warranty has only had to cover an output shaft seal leak, voltage regulator replacement, rear tire TPMS sensor, and some crinkling chrome wheel molding. I'm curious how many of you purchased extended warranties, and what if anything they have covered???
I bought the five year extended warranty for $1350, when I got my Challenger. I put 20-25K a year on my bikes, so for me it seemed logical.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lots of other threads on this with various typical pros and cons. Bottom line is some people do and some people don’t. General consensus seems to be that if you are thinking of getting it - get it if you are going to keep the bike for awhile and put a lot of miles on it (20,000+) a year. OR get if if you can afford it and simply want the peace of mind. There is just no way to do an objective cost/benefit analysis – other than the indisputable fact that the companies (whether it’s Indian/Polaris or a third-party) that sell these plans only do so because they make money. Of course, this is the case with ALL insurance companies, and the extended warranties are just another type of insurance. I personally did get an extended warranty for my 2017 Vintage for the peace of mind and because my mechanic skills are limited to putting air in the tires.

·
Rider
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The point is that these are fairly reliable bikes, and I believe most of the failures haven't been too major, probably similar to what I have experienced. I possibly should have worded the question differently, and asked what kind of warranty issues folks have had, both during their factory warranty, or with their extended warranty???

·
171 Posts
The point is that these are fairly reliable bikes, and I believe most of the failures haven't been too major, probably similar to what I have experienced. I possibly should have worded the question differently, and asked what kind of warranty issues folks have had, both during their factory warranty, or with their extended warranty???
All the failures I experienced haven't been too major, but they sure would have been expensive fixes had I not had the extended warranty. Just thinking about spending hundreds of dollars to fix a modern motorcycle that cost thousands of dollars gives me the heeby jebbies. I experienced all the common failures with my 2014 Chieftain outlined many times in these forums.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I had my front fender replaced under warranty. That alone made the warranty pay for itself, as parts+labor for a front fender replacement on my RM was north of $2500...

·
Rider
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my front fender replaced under warranty. That alone made the warranty pay for itself, as parts+labor for a front fender replacement on my RM was north of $2500...
Was it replaced for a rust through problem, or something else? Was it your factory warranty, or extended warranty that covered it? I was looking at what is and is not covered under the Polaris warranty and it says it does not cover cosmetic damage. Is the common rusting fender considered "cosmetic damage"? I think in some cases, I have read that Polaris has gone beyond the 2 year warranty to replace fenders that have rusted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts