Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been following the 2015 Scout since it was introduced this past weekend. This bike has piqued my interest and I'm considering ordering one. I'm impressed with the size, weight, engine(liquid cooled), lean angles. I think it'd be a fun city- commuter ride. My hesitation is whether or not I will be too big for this bike. From what I've read so far it was designed for riders between the heights of 5'4-6 feet. I found one review which mentioned a test rider being 6'2 riding a stock bike. From looking at the website, the Scout is available with extended controls(2 inches), an extended reach seat, and extended reach handle bars. Does anyone know the total extra space these upgrades will provide? Any chance a rep from Indian monitors this website can field this question? I'm 6'4, 215lbs. I owned a 1200 sportster and traded it after 10 weeks of ownership as it was too small and extended controls (factory- after market),were not available. I bought a new HD Fatbob but high maintenance costs and reliability were issues after 4 years of ownership and 60k miles. I'm currently riding a sport touring bike but I'd like to return to an American made cruiser. Obviously there are other brands I'm considering (Victory Gunner), but resale is a factor that consider. And yes I've already considered an Indian Classic but wasn't sold on the riding position.

Any other tall riders considering buying a Scout, or are you going to hold off a year or two to see what other products Indian offers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 6' 1" 200lbs and am going to check out the new Scout. Hopefully with the forward controls it wont be cramped. Wait and see!! Maybe the extended seat and controls will fit us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the most recent article I've found, using the reach (short or tall) accessories, the Scout will accommodate riders from 5'0-6'4 inches in height. Looks like I'm at the height limit but I'm still really interested in this bike. I'm going to do some more research before finalizing my order. Here is the link for those of you who are interested. 2015 Indian Scout First Ride Review

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm 6'1" and feel a little bit cramped at stock position. When I ride I push myself back using the foot pegs to compress the rear padding of the seat and stretch my legs a little.
Love the look of the mother road customs seat, so going to get extended foot controls and drag bars (a more forward reach) or similar to go with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm probably one of the bigger scout riders at 6'6" and 235 lbs. Any mid size bike is gonna look small on guys our size so you have to be ok with that. I bought the extended reach seat and forward controls. I test rode a Sportster and a Victory Gunner before the Scout. The scout with the accessories I mentioned is definitely the most comfortable of those three. It also beats my old Yamaha V-star 650 hands down. After riding with the ext seat and controls for a month my biggest complaint was feeling hunched forward. So I added the reduced reach handle bars. I know it seems kinda weird to go extended reach on the controls and seat but reduced reach on the handlebars but this gave me a more leaned back and relaxed ride. I think I've seen posts from some others who have also matched the extended seat with the pull back bars so I'm not alone in this set up.

The one other mod I'm planning to do at some point is some kind of foot peg lowering kit. I'm not an aggressive rider so I'm willing to give up an inch or two of peg clearance for more leg room. I had something similar to KD Foot Peg 1.25in Lowering Kits for Harley-Davidson Forward Controls on my Honda that I was very happy with.

Holy necro thread Batman! I just realized the original post date. Ah well, maybe someone else can benefit from my experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Holy necro thread Batman! I just realized the original post date. Ah well, maybe someone else can benefit from my experience.
Sorry, my bad. Accident, I swear.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
5'10", standard seat, extended reach foot controls, reduced reach bars and still needing the bars back further so I'm not leaning forward, which agrivates my back.
Alpal

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I wouldn't give up much on peg height. You'd probably be surprised at how close they come to the ground in regular riding at stock height.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone actually installed the extend reach controls?
I started this am, and ran out of time after getting the left side finished.
The list of tools necessary is incomplete by a good measure, and, not mentioned, if you do not tighten down the most rearward bolt on the extension bracket first, after making sure the bracket is absolutely aligned, there is no way to get to it once the foot peg and lever unit is attached...
Attempting the brake extension tomorrow.
Question: Not mentioned in the instructions, and as I am inexperienced here, will the brake fluid not drain out of the system once the old, shorter brake line is disconnected?

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Anyone actually installed the extend reach controls?
I started this am, and ran out of time after getting the left side finished.
The list of tools necessary is incomplete by a good measure, and, not mentioned, if you do not tighten down the most rearward bolt on the extension bracket first, after making sure the bracket is absolutely aligned, there is no way to get to it once the foot peg and lever unit is attached...
Attempting the brake extension tomorrow.
Question: Not mentioned in the instructions, and as I am inexperienced here, will the brake fluid not drain out of the system once the old, shorter brake line is disconnected?
Yeah, I have fitted the ER foot controls. I am in Burtland so have ABS. Brakes and no disconnection was required. I just did a small re-routing of the brake line and all was well. So if you're in the U.S. Yes, you will have to replace the brake line and bleed the brakes. No biggee. U.S. The Net or this forum on how to do the bleeding part if you're not sure.
Alpal.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
One little trick you may need to do is loosen the fluid reservoir and tilt it a bit while bleeding the brakes. Some bikes are finicky getting all the air bubbles out.

Reactions: Jimmysea

·
Registered
29 Posts
One little trick you may need to do is loosen the fluid reservoir and tilt it a bit while bleeding the brakes. Some bikes are finicky getting all the air bubbles out.
Good tip. I have the unit installed, and have bled twice, but still no pressure. Trying again in a few.
Instructions say both sides can be done in 60 minutes. I would challenge a NASCAR pit crew on that...

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Good tip. I have the unit installed, and have bled twice, but still no pressure. Trying again in a few.
Instructions say both sides can be done in 60 minutes. I would challenge a NASCAR pit crew on that...
I had the same problem with bleeding mine after the new brake line was installed. Ended up taking it to the dealer and they told me that the rear caliper has to be turned upside down while bleeding. Evidently there is a pocket of air that won't bleed out if you don't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem with bleeding mine after the new brake line was installed. Ended up taking it to the dealer and they told me that the rear caliper has to be turned upside down while bleeding. Evidently there is a pocket of air that won't bleed out if you don't.
So nice of Indian to mention that in the instructions..

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Point to remember Guys. Air always heads for the highest point. So in all cases, where possible have the brake reservoir above all lines, joins and calipers. Lift the front of the bike up so the reservoir is above the caliper if you are having no joy. I have never heard of taking off a caliper and inverting it in order to bleed it. If you want I can send you the rear brake bleeding procedure from my workshop manual. But if you can have a downhill run from the reservoir try that first. And keep that reservoir full.
Alpal
PS troop is on to it with his tilting suggestion. What it does is get fluid higher than the air bubble.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Point to remember Guys. Air always heads for the highest point. So in all cases, where possible have the brake reservoir above all lines, joins and calipers. Lift the front of the bike up so the reservoir is above the caliper if you are having no joy. I have never heard of taking off a caliper and inverting it in order to bleed it. If you want I can send you the rear brake bleeding procedure from my workshop manual. But if you can have a downhill run from the reservoir try that first. And keep that reservoir full.
Alpal
PS troop is on to it with his tilting suggestion. What it does is get fluid higher than the air bubble.
Thank you..tilting the caliper seems excessive, and sounds like a dealer scam. However. air does rise, so surely lifting up the rear, so that the caliper is above the reservoir would be best, no? Did use the manual for the procedure. on third bleeding, and having used about 12oz of fluid, it was working fine...fingers crossed...

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Thank you..tilting the caliper seems excessive, and sounds like a dealer scam. However. air does rise, so surely lifting up the rear, so that the caliper is above the reservoir would be best, no? Did use the manual for the procedure. on third bleeding, and having used about 12oz of fluid, it was working fine...fingers crossed...
No scam, before I took it to the dealer I took it to a local motorcycle repair place to have them bleed the brakes and they couldn't get them right either. If you look at the caliper you'll see the bleeder valve at the bottom and there is a big area above the bleeder that can have trapped air.

Reactions: Jimmysea

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK. We shall see.If it is no good when I take it out today, I'll try lifting the front.
When I took it out Monday, it was all good...

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
If conventional bleeding is not working you may have to invest in a vacuum bleeder to clear the air and also bleed the system at each join in the line.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If conventional bleeding is not working you may have to invest in a vacuum bleeder to clear the air and also bleed the system at each join in the line.
Third time lucky. Bled through most of a can of fluid. Manual says 2 cups, so about right. Glad it worked too. Dog ran out in front of me this am, had to throw out the anchors. Not as bad as the turkey vulture I clipped last week tho...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts