Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a 2020 Roadmaster dark horse. I really want a backrest for when I ride. The dealer told me there is no backrest for the extended reach seat which seems crazy. Just curious if any of you know a backrest option? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
If that's true I imagine it's because the standard backrest slides into a frame mounted below the seat and the extended seat is too far to the rear. There is an aftermarket backrest branded Grasshopper. The difference is that it fastens to the underside of the seat itself and does not need the internal bracket. It's not as adjustable as the OEM unit but people have spoken well of the quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check them out. Yea apparently the extended seat sits 2 or 3 inches back which doesn't allow the slot to line up. I'll check that company out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 15 RM with an extended seat
Purchased a backrest from Grasshopper
No issues at all
And the price is right
Is your seat on the 15 the same extended one that comes on the 20 RM dark horse? And can you remove the backrest if you don't want to ride with it or is it stationary?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have 15 RM with an extended seat
Purchased a backrest from Grasshopper
No issues at all
And the price is right
I have the Kuryakyn. It uses the stock seat slot/mount. My problem with it is that the support bends backwards from leaning against it. Every time I ride, I have to bend it back forward. Does the Grasshopper have that problem?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Grasshopper backrest with an extended reach seat on my Chief Vintage. You'll need to let them know if it's for the extended reach seat when ordering.
Backrest slides in and out of the mounting bracket. The bracket will flex some as you lean back on the backrest. Any adjustments need to be made by bending.

IMG_20200601_135359619_HDR.jpg IMG_20200601_135404784_HDR.jpg IMG_20200601_135410867.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts