Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Indian Chief Vintage that I bought used in January 2018. Thanks to the awesome folks here I found out that it had been given a 5 year extended contract from Indian. That contract expires December 2019. As I understand it , the current contract I have is an extended contract from Indian.

Is there a contract that will take me beyond December 2019 for my Indian?

John

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Not warranty, but Service Contract. Indian will provide up to 7 years in total from date of new purchase. Beware the exclusions though. That can be a mine field of "gotchas".

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, kinda answering my own question here but if it helps someone else then its worth it.
Just got off the phone with my Indian dealer here in Texas. He says that you can get a 4 year extended contract that is good at all Indian dealers with a $50 deductable. His cost to me was $1466. In my case I still have a year left on my current contract so the new contract is really only a 3 year extended contract. He told me that if I wait till next year when my current contract is about to expire it 'might be more expensive". He also stated that I could buy one after my current contract expired but it would be almost cost prohibitive to do that.

I was offered the contract called Best protection an EFG company. Not great reviews so far.

So now I am trying to find out if different dealers charge different amounts (was very common with Yamaha) for the extended contract. Does anyone know of dealers that give discounts on extended contracts?

John

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Ok, kinda answering my own question here but if it helps someone else then its worth it.
Just got off the phone with my Indian dealer here in Texas. He says that you can get a 4 year extended warranty that is good at all Indian dealers with a $50 deductable. His cost to me was $1466. In my case I still have a year left on my current warranty so the new warranty is really only a 3 year extended warranty. He told me that if I wait till next year when my current warranty is about to expire it 'might be more expensive". He also stated that I could buy one after my current warranty expired but it would be almost cost prohibitive to do that.

So now I am trying to find out if different dealers charge different amounts (was very common with Yamaha) for the extended warranty. Does anyone know of dealers that give discounts on extended warranties?

John
You are using the terminology "warranty". Indian is not normally offering anything that fits this description. Service Contract is what is generally offered, and it is severely limited in what it will cover. The list of exclusions would include everything that is subject to wear-and-tear from miles operated, or simply time, and also excludes anything that fails due to one of the non-covered items failing and causing a covered part to fail. As long as you are comfortable with knowing the exclusions, then the Service Contracts might offer you something of value. I would say for myself, that it is a very sketchy offering and quite limited in value.
For instance, your engine blows apart because a seal or gasket failed and dropped your oil, NO coverage because the proximate cause is the seal or gasket (excluded from coverage). NO normal wear parts are covered.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are using the terminology "warranty". Indian is not normally offering anything that fits this description. Service Contract is what is generally offered, and it is severely limited in what it will cover. The list of exclusions would include everything that is subject to wear-and-tear from miles operated, or simply time, and also excludes anything that fails due to one of the non-covered items failing and causing a covered part to fail. As long as you are comfortable with knowing the exclusions, then the Service Contracts might offer you something of value. I would say for myself, that it is a very sketchy offering and quite limited in value.
For instance, your engine blows apart because a seal or gasket failed and dropped your oil, NO coverage because the proximate cause is the seal or gasket (excluded from coverage). NO normal wear parts are covered.
I have been reading up on Warranty vs Contracts. Interesting reading. Lots of bad reviews, very little in good reviews. I am waiting to hear from other users who have had experiences with this.

John

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I have been reading up on Warranty vs Contracts. Interesting reading. Lots of bad reviews, very little in good reviews. I am waiting to hear from other users who have had experiences with this.

John
I think everyone has had a pretty good shake from Polaris on their manufacturer's warranty. Mostly positive as far as I can discern, but also somewhat limited by the dealership that is involved. If they act as your advocate, all is well. If not, all bets are off.
Service Contracts are generally presented AS IF they were just an extension of the Warranty. This is very far from the truth. It is somewhat disappointing to read all of the fine-print involved to try and understand exactly what you might achieve in benefits.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts

John
Quick info, warranty is something that is given to you by a manufacturer of a product. A Service Contract or Extended Warranty is a Contract you purchase or is purchased for you (2014 models).

I normally tell people, if you're going to buy a Service Contract buy one from the manufacturer. Reason? The manufacturer has the option to goodwill repairs for you, an aftermarket company like EFG will not and doesn't care since it's not their product (bike). All Service Contracts from Polaris/Indian are the same price to the dealerships, the dealer principle, finance guys or salesmen normally get commissions so prices normally vary. Try to negotiate, you may get a better deal especially if you are getting quotes from multiple Indian dealers. (hint)

Is it worth it, my normal answer is this; if you have lots of money and can afford to repair the bike yourself, don't buy it. If you're living from check to check or staying on a very strict budget and you're not going to modify the bike, might be a good investment for the peace of mind.

I have a 2014 so my coverage will expire July of 2019. So far I've had a cylinder head replaced and a ECM/VCM replaced.

Above, top of thread, you will see some tags there. If you click on those tags you will be taken to other conversations with the same tags. You should get a pretty good idea of what the community thinks and have a few hours of reading.

I've attached a redacted copy of the Polaris/Indian Service Contract for your review of coverage. Pay special attention to the exclusions that are underlined. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick info, warranty is something that is given to you by a manufacturer of a product. A Service Contract or Extended Warranty is a Contract you purchase or is purchased for you (2014 models).

I normally tell people, if you're going to buy a Service Contract buy one from the manufacturer. Reason? The manufacturer has the option to goodwill repairs for you, an aftermarket company like EFG will not and doesn't care since it's not their product (bike). All Service Contracts from Polaris/Indian are the same price to the dealerships, the dealer principle, finance guys or salesmen normally get commissions so prices normally vary. Try to negotiate, you may get a better deal especially if you are getting quotes from multiple Indian dealers. (hint)

Is it worth it, my normal answer is this; if you have lots of money and can afford to repair the bike yourself, don't buy it. If you're living from check to check or staying on a very strict budget and you're not going to modify the bike, might be a good investment for the peace of mind.

I have a 2014 so my coverage will expire July of 2019. So far I've had a cylinder head replaced and a ECM/VCM replaced.

Above, top of thread, you will see some tags there. If you click on those tags you will be taken to other conversations with the same tags. You should get a pretty good idea of what the community thinks and have a few hours of reading.

I've attached a redacted copy of the Polaris/Indian Service Contract for your review of coverage. Pay special attention to the exclusions that are underlined. ;)

Will you be getting a new contract after your current one expires next year and if so which one?

John

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I have a 2014 Indian Chief Vintage that I bought used in January 2018. Thanks to the awesome folks here I found out that it had been given a 5 year extended contract from Indian. That contract expires December 2019. As I understand it , the current contract I have is an extended contract from Indian.

Is there a contract that will take me beyond December 2019 for my Indian?

John
I just last month purchased 5 additional years of extended warranty through Indian for $1900. This gives me a total of 7 (Including the initial 2y warranty).

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Will you be getting a new contract after your current one expires next year and if so which one?

John
I have no intentions of getting rid of #37 and I'm on a strict budget with retirement about 10 years away. I'm going to see what sale price I can negotiate and then divide by the number of years of coverage. Fore some strange reason I feel I need to see the yearly cost?? Regardless, I would only be interested in the Polaris Total Protection. I assume you looked at the Polaris Service Contract I posted above?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts

This is a slightly different version of the contract, especially in the wording of exclusions, from the one I read. Mine is also from Indian, but is entitled Indian Motorcycle Protection Plan (Polaris Sales Inc.).

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
This is a slightly different version of the contract, especially in the wording of exclusions, from the one I read. Mine is also from Indian, but is entitled Indian Motorcycle Protection Plan (Polaris Sales Inc.).
This is the 2014 Service Contract from Polaris, chances are they've been updated since 2014.

·
Registered
401 Posts
7 year total "warranty" for $1600

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
7 year total "warranty" for $1600
Properly stated: The ONLY Warranty is the manufacturer's 2-year. The Service Contracts overlap that warranty such that you are paying for 2 years worth of nearly nothing. The following 5-years of Service Contract is where you may actually have some value.

The mailed out special offers on these contracts are now $1400. 5-years divided into $1400 yields $280 per year for a certain level of coverage. That coverage is nowhere near the same coverage as existed with your original 2-year Warranty, but may be well worth the investment for some. Are you feeling unlucky?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Be carefull and read thru contract i was at the Indian dealer asking about extended warranty some only cover what the oil touches so if you have a bike with a fairing and something breaks ur out of luck

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
So what you guys are saying is none of the extended cover bumper to bumper such as radio cruise control electric issues. Would they cover things like starter stators voltage regulator tranny issues such as motor internals ? I’m curious because at some point I’ll be in this scenario. I wanted to keep my limited about 4 yrs which puts me between 60 to 80g . Which for the miles I roll yearly I was definitely gonna buy an extended with the understanding it was a extension of the original 2 yr. so am I understanding these extended date not the same as original warranty?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would take a look at Allstate. They offer levels which are clearly spelled out in the documentation they give you, on what is and what is not covered. More coverage, more money up front.
I have it on my 2007 Cadillac, and when I bought my Triumph Rocket they gave me a five year, and it was Allstate.
I have had a couple of claims on the Caddy with Allstate, they have been good about paying.
No claims so far on the Triumph, but the dealer said it was the best rated one they could find for their customers. I don't know if they will do it for a private owner - both of mine were bought through dealers. Some of these outfits are nothing much more than money makers, for them, not you.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Tennessee worth looking into it sounds like. I’ve got time to start researching this. I was under the assumption it was like Harleys which I’ve had on 2 of mine and got my money back 10 fold. Ran them over 100g and had 2 stereos replaced a starter,stator, voltage regulator main primary bearing and the list goes on. Each incident $50 deductible. Actually a very good extended for sure milage unlimited

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Be carefull and read thru contract i was at the Indian dealer asking about extended warranty some only cover what the oil touches so if you have a bike with a fairing and something breaks ur out of luck
So what you guys are saying is none of the extended cover bumper to bumper such as radio cruise control electric issues. Would they cover things like starter stators voltage regulator tranny issues such as motor internals ? I’m curious because at some point I’ll be in this scenario. I wanted to keep my limited about 4 yrs which puts me between 60 to 80g . Which for the miles I roll yearly I was definitely gonna buy an extended with the understanding it was a extension of the original 2 yr. so am I understanding these extended date not the same as original warranty?
Ok, go back to post #7, I attached a 2014 Polaris Service Contract to view and see what it covers and what it excludes.

On page 3 of 5 you can clearly see there are two coverages available for "On Road" vehicles, one is called Power Protection and the other one called Total Protection.

Power Protection is effectively powertrain coverage. Total Protection covers all parts except those named in the exclusions or covered by recall or TSB's.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Ok, go back to post #7, I attached a 2014 Polaris Service Contract to view and see what it covers and what it excludes.

On page 3 of 5 you can clearly see there are two coverages available for "On Road" vehicles, one is called Power Protection and the other one called Total Protection.

Power Protection is effectively powertrain coverage. Total Protection covers all parts except those named in the exclusions or covered by recall or TSB's.

Read (and understand) your NEW contract... especially the exclusions and conditions that will invalidate coverage. The 2014 contract does not appear to be the same thing, and conditions have changed since 2014.
Except for Florida and Washington see below:
http://www.protectmyindianmotorcycle.com/rest/terms-and-conditions/5/download

1 - 20 of 26 Posts