Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this idea was brought up on a FB post, and I'm very intrigued, but want to get some more advice since I'm by no means mechanically inclined other than bolt on/bolt off...

I love the look of the low mount exhausts on the FTR, but I want to keep the bike semi quiet, only making it a little louder, so I'm inclined to keep the cat. An idea was mentioned to remove the stock muffler and just put an automotive exhaust tip on the cat. After researching, I've heard mixed things about how this would be fine, it would work great with a retune, or it will basically destroy the bike.

Max and Mike have already offered up some ideas on FB, but anyone else have any experience in this area? Or should I just save the pennies and get an actual slip on?

·
Registered
309 Posts
No muffler and just a tip will not be quiet, another issue is to have some back pressure. When you run straight out pipes they are a tuned length.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've researched and been told, the cat/resonator on the FTR provides most of the back pressure and keeps things pretty quiet as is. I havent had the time to experiment and pull the muffler off and start it up just to see how loud it actually is (weekend test upcoming), but there was a video posted on FB of the FTR with a modified exhaust and just the cat and it wasn't any louder than a slip on would have been.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you have a baffle-less slip on, I can't imagine that the back pressure is THAT different than running without it since the cat is probably the most restrictive part of that system by a considerable amount. I also don't think the sound would be significantly different at the point of exit vs an open slip on. I removed the baffles in the Akra and it's just the right amount of volume for me. I also have a PV3 for what it's worth.

·
Registered
478 Posts
From what I've researched and been told, the cat/resonator on the FTR provides most of the back pressure and keeps things pretty quiet as is. I havent had the time to experiment and pull the muffler off and start it up just to see how loud it actually is (weekend test upcoming), but there was a video posted on FB of the FTR with a modified exhaust and just the cat and it wasn't any louder than a slip on would have been.
Beat me to it and basically said what I said so I guess my post is redundant. 😁

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While a PV3 is in my future, it just depends when. Either an actual slip on exhaust now and tuner eventually, or $25 exhaust tip and PV3 now, if it is safe to do so.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If those were my two options, I go for the latter. The PV3 fixes way more than a slip on, which wouldn't do much except improve sound / appearance. It no longer stalls when cold, I don't have to let it warm up forever for it to smooth out, and the power comes on smoother now than with the stock tune. It really sucked having to drop $400 on a new bike, but I bought it knowing that I was going to have to do that.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that. Just not the set that costs $1,500 on Ebay for carbon fiber exhaust tips....

Again, havent had the chance to measure yet, but do you recall if they were actually 2" or 2.25, 2.5, etc.?

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
2” inlet (sometimes advertized as 52mm). The bike runs just as good and loud as simply without the two mufflers. Try for yourself before you buy one.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The other added bonus to this is I get to finally lose that right side passenger foot peg/exhaust mounting bracket monstrosity... that secretly may be the most exciting thing about this mod.

·
Bronze member
2,301 Posts
No muffler and just a tip will not be quiet, another issue is to have some back pressure. When you run straight out pipes they are a tuned length.
Wrong. Anything after the cat doesn’t matter. He is leaving the cat.

Running even just the cat the bike isn’t that loud. Go give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thoughts on this??? Sanded down and perhaps painted black or a metal color. Also, it is listed as 2" weld on, but wondering if making a few slits with a dremel at the base would make it work for a clamp on.. It's also listed at 12" long (which it doesn't really appear to be judging by the picture) so I'm a little concerned about it sticking too far out. Could always return it before painting and cutting it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thoughts on this??? Sanded down and perhaps painted black or a metal color. Also, it is listed as 2" weld on, but wondering if making a few slits with a dremel at the base would make it work for a clamp on.. It's also listed at 12" long (which it doesn't really appear to be judging by the picture) so I'm a little concerned about it sticking too far out. Could always return it before painting and cutting it.

View attachment 596879
Hard to say without seeing it on the bike. I tend to think that the angle combined with the size / dual tips might make it look a little weird.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I'm on the fence. Being in Florida, we could get random rain at any time and I don't know how comfortable I would be with straight pipe like Max's. Still searching for a short turndown tip like this one (this one's 2.5").

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Most of the sound deadening comes from the cat.
I ran my ackros with out baffles and with out cat and it's way to loud (for me) to Daily on (I already have a loud Scout) even if I put baffles back in without cat, was still to loud (for me.) Cat on, baffles out is perfect. (for me)
as far as running goes, as @ferraiolo1 states, if the cats is left on, not much to be of concern.. most of what would be a concern, happens in the cat....

that said, Id tune the bike before I did anything because it's the best return on money that can be spent on the FTR.

·
Bronze member
2,301 Posts
Any water that would get into the cat would be quickly burned off once you start the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anyone cut open the cat yet? Just curious if, based on the size and sound deadening properties, it's a combo pre-muffler / resonator plus the cat or if it's 100% filled with catalyst material. Some quality high-end cats minimally restrict flow and don't affect sound that much while others do both to a significant extent.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts