Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After washing my bike yesterday I noticed some scraping around the muffler and exhaust. It very much looks like the result of an install but I wanted to see what others have noticed. I only have 400 miles on it and the dealership said all of their bikes in the showroom have the same "scrapes". I'm bringing it back to them for a look tomorrow but wanted to see what the group thought. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yes. That looks like expansion flaking.

Reactions: Hoseman

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,413 Posts
This is also an issue with the TS111 bikes as well. What I did to address this is to insert a couple of pieces of thermal exhaust wrap about 8" long between the shield clamp and the muffler body. This will hold the shield slightly away from the muffler and eliminate this problem.

Check out my response on this thread #18 Black slip ons paint issue

·
Bronze member
1,675 Posts
It looks like the heat shield to your header pipe needs to be repositioned......loosen the clamps which hold it on....and slide forward. I wouldn't accept that. Or someone took your stock muffler off, then put them back on....and pushed them TOO FAR forward. I have looked at a few local Challengers in my back yard....none of them have this issue. Something aint right..........

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like the heat shield to your header pipe needs to be repositioned......loosen the clamps which hold it on....and slide forward. I wouldn't accept that. Or someone took your stock muffler off, then put them back on....and pushed them TOO FAR forward. I have looked at a few local Challengers in my back yard....none of them have this issue. Something aint right..........
I never touched it, not mechanically inclined enough to mess with such an expensive item. I thought maybe they slid it too far in or something. They are saying all their bikes have it. I just find it to be a big eyesore for something so expensive.

·
Rider
1,303 Posts
I never touched it, not mechanically inclined enough to mess with such an expensive item. I thought maybe they slid it too far in or something. They are saying all their bikes have it. I just find it to be a big eyesore for something so expensive.
Is that the stock exhaust or did the dealer change mufflers?

·
Rider
1,303 Posts
Stock exhaust
It’s the expansion-contraction of the metals. I would still complain to the dealer and see if you can get it under warranty. I would also do what @Caprock suggested to eliminate it in the future. I changed exhaust on my Vintage and several days later noticed the scraping. I would say kind of a bad design. The mufflers on my Vintage now are RCX and they have a beveled edge to eliminate the scraping. Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Hood

Attachments

·
Bronze member
3,122 Posts
Every Challenger I’ve seen looks like this. You can fix it like I did. Buy a roll of narrow width fiberglass exhaust heat wrap off Amazon ($12). Wrap a couple revolutions of the heat wrap around your exhaust where the hose clamp wraps around the exhaust. When you tighten the clamp, the heat wrap will cause the heat shield to protrude out slightly and not make contact with the muffler. To conceal the scraped up section, loosen all the heat shield clamps. This will allow the shield to be moved back slightly, concealing the scrape. I put heat wrap under all the exhaust hose clamps to prevent this from happening at other sections of the exhaust.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Every Challenger I’ve seen looks like this. You can fix it like I did. Buy a roll of narrow width fiberglass exhaust heat wrap off Amazon ($12). Wrap a couple revolutions of the heat wrap around your exhaust where the hose clamp wraps around the exhaust. When you tighten the clamp, the heat wrap will cause the heat shield to protrude out slightly and not make contact with the muffler. To conceal the scraped up section, loosen all the heat shield clamps. This will allow the shield to be moved back slightly, concealing the scrape. I put heat wrap under all the exhaust hose clamps to prevent this from happening at other sections of the exhaust.
Thank you. Appreciate the information, you'd think this would be common but I guess tightening the heatshield has it rubbing. Shame..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this something I should expect the dealer to fix or just take it on the chin and move on?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it were me, I’d be asking the dealer to see if he can get Polaris to do something after spending $28,000. If not, I would file a claim with Polaris. This is just my opinion.
Thanks I'm going by there tomorrow to see what they say.

·
Rider
944 Posts
I just installed TAB slip-ons, recently, on my Challenger and noticed that the diameters seemed different. I loosened the pipes and tried to readjust the heat shield, to no avail. These are the same pipes used on the 111 motors where they fit perfectly. I can only assume that the Challenger slip-ons are smaller in diameter than the 111's. Manufacturers of aftermarket pipes may think,"well, that's close enough."

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,413 Posts
I just installed TAB slip-ons, recently, on my Challenger and noticed that the diameters seemed different. I loosened the pipes and tried to readjust the heat shield, to no avail. These are the same pipes used on the 111 motors where they fit perfectly. I can only assume that the Challenger slip-ons are smaller in diameter than the 111's. Manufacturers of aftermarket pipes may think,"well, that's close enough."
Hey Sandspur, as I indicate above in post #6, the TS111's have the same issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts