Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was riding last night and during an upshift noticed my motor go quiet for a moment, followed by a sound similar to a soda can being crushed. Bike sounded fine afterwards. I pulled over and inspected my ride and noticed a square of what appears to be fiberglass poking out the top of the exhaust, on the rear pipe, right against the engine (picture included). I notified the dealer and the reported that this is normal, and nothing to be worried about. I could simply extract the fiber and go on riding. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? Is this a problem, ie, am I in danger of running lean or allowing some other condition that is going to cause potential long term $$$ issues? I'm riding a 2017 Chief Dark Horse with stock pipes.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
No idea there. Just like the cracking side stands, the clacking, and bad paint............all 'normal' according to them and corporate. Guess it takes an engine total seizure or a frame breaking in half to get it past 'normal'. I wish you luck but if its sound OK now...........guess no worries.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and let the service manager look at it. Stuff coming out of the exhaust at the header is not normal on any engine. With Indian being only a few years old and if this stuff happens all the time, hence normal, than normal is a problem. Just because it has happened before does not mean it is supposed to happen. Looks like gasket material to me. Let them extract the fiber. If is is normal to loose that stuff, than why was it put there in the first place?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It is similar to an exhaust wrap, and there to help insulate your leg from exhaust heat.

·
Founding member
1,515 Posts
Looks like insulation behind the heat shield and not really from the exhaust header from that photo angle.
That's what it looks like to me too. If so it probably is normal for that to happen occasionally. Don't see how that would make a one-time sound like the crushing of a beer can though. If its the exhaust gasket oozing out and they call that normal then I'd tell the dealer 'Ok I'm coming to your showroom floor and I want to see this sticking out on every bike you've got in stock." Bound to be just the insulation though.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
That's what it looks like to me too. If so it probably is normal for that to happen occasionally. Don't see how that would make a one-time sound like the crushing of a beer can though. If its the exhaust gasket oozing out and they call that normal then I'd tell the dealer 'Ok I'm coming to your showroom floor and I want to see this sticking out on every bike you've got in stock." Bound to be just the insulation though.
You have to look pretty close to see it on showroom new bikes. I think the material loosens up after a few heat cycles.

Reactions: Proxy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to look pretty close to see it on showroom new bikes. I think the material loosens up after a few heat cycles.
Yeah, and thank you to everyone who responded. I went on in to the dealer, and they actually showed me the packing on a new bike. For better or worse, they said it usually just burns off. But, I was told it can just be removed, or stuffed back in, either, and isn't a point of concern. Again, thanks for all the replies.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
Yeah, and thank you to everyone who responded. I went on in to the dealer, and they actually showed me the packing on a new bike. For better or worse, they said it usually just burns off. But, I was told it can just be removed, or stuffed back in, either, and isn't a point of concern. Again, thanks for all the replies.
Good to know. It hasn't happened to my bike and I would have had a little concern if I had seen it before this thread. Now, if it does happen, I can take care of it without fear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Proxy

Where did the smashed soda can sound come from?
@HuskyDavidson That one is driving me crazy because I don't know. It's possible that someone actually ran over a can and with wind/traffic/helmet my interpretation of where it came from was inaccurate, but yeah, planning on keeping my ears open and being a little more observant than usual for a while just to monitor.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
@HuskyDavidson That one is driving me crazy because I don't know. It's possible that someone actually ran over a can and with wind/traffic/helmet my interpretation of where it came from was inaccurate, but yeah, planning on keeping my ears open and being a little more observant than usual for a while just to monitor.
Maybe you hit a rock with your cross-pipe?

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
No idea there. Just like the cracking side stands, the clacking, and bad paint............all 'normal' according to them and corporate. Guess it takes an engine total seizure or a frame breaking in half to get it past 'normal'. I wish you luck but if its sound OK now...........guess no worries.
Excellent responses, very helpful and addresses OPs specific issue. You just love to bash Indian at every opening even if there is none. But if proxy thinks your helpful, then I guess he knows best when it comes to his bike.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Hello,

I was riding last night and during an upshift noticed my motor go quiet for a moment, followed by a sound similar to a soda can being crushed. Bike sounded fine afterwards. I pulled over and inspected my ride and noticed a square of what appears to be fiberglass poking out the top of the exhaust, on the rear pipe, right against the engine (picture included). I notified the dealer and the reported that this is normal, and nothing to be worried about. I could simply extract the fiber and go on riding. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? Is this a problem, ie, am I in danger of running lean or allowing some other condition that is going to cause potential long term $$$ issues? I'm riding a 2017 Chief Dark Horse with stock pipes.

Thank you.
If you haven't already figured it out from other responses, the pipe you see (the chromed one) is the heat shield. The actual exhaust pipe is underneath, and the gap you see is not going to leak exhaust.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Excellent responses, very helpful and addresses OPs specific issue. You just love to bash Indian at every opening even if there is none. But if proxy thinks your helpful, then I guess he knows best when it comes to his bike.
Hardly............I praise my Indian and thank God I have not had problems with it but people sure do and get the same run around. Now I realize its fun to bash those with problems and call them trolls and everything else like Harley 'plants' to disrupt forums but when it happens to you it will be a different story. Please remember that. Indian has no corporate to dealer customer relation pipeline. Its every dealer for himself and every dealer is across the board on things like 500 mile check ups............prices, what they do, ect. You have a major bike maker playing dodgeball with kickstands and this engine noise issue. When it happens to you, then things will change. Read this and other forums if you do not believe this. Plenty of 'thats normal, have a nice day' type answers to get you out of their store. But even past that, spend a day on Indians customer line and get hung up on and passed around to a host of 18 year old girls waiting for the clock to hit the hour they can punch out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, this was my first post so I even gave the haters a like. I should have taken a picture when I extracted it. Like you guys and the dealer said, it had mostly burnt off. Maybe a square inch was left, and was quite charred. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hardly............I praise my Indian and thank God I have not had problems with it but people sure do and get the same run around. Now I realize its fun to bash those with problems and call them trolls and everything else like Harley 'plants' to disrupt forums but when it happens to you it will be a different story. Please remember that. Indian has no corporate to dealer customer relation pipeline. Its every dealer for himself and every dealer is across the board on things like 500 mile check ups............prices, what they do, ect. You have a major bike maker playing dodgeball with kickstands and this engine noise issue. When it happens to you, then things will change. Read this and other forums if you do not believe this. Plenty of 'thats normal, have a nice day' type answers to get you out of their store. But even past that, spend a day on Indians customer line and get hung up on and passed around to a host of 18 year old girls waiting for the clock to hit the hour they can punch out.
Very good info to have. Thank you. Yeah, this dealer seems ok so far. I'm concerned about what you mention on cracked stands though. What's this about?

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
The first gen stands were prone to failure if overstressed, I believe they beefed them up to mitigate that. But the force is leveraged into the aluminum frame. Now, here may be the debate, what is overstressed? Some riders use the stand to only support the bike, others use them to support the bike and the rider, and some like say at a gas stop use it to support the bike, themselves and even a passenger complete with all the luggage. In a perfect world the stand and frame would support this, but in some instances it's not. Therefore there are reports of bikes falling when the stand or frame gives out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts