Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies,

I am 5'4" with long torso and short legs. I have the Indian Scout and can reach the ground perfectly fine. HOWEVER, I have to stick my right leg out in order to not burn myself on the stock pipe. I want to get one that I don't have to worry about. Anybody have this same experience and found an exhaust configuration that works so they don't have to straddle the bike in any special way? Thanks!

P.S. I had heat tape applied to the pipes and it didn't really make a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I'll look at her stuff, but the heat shield will not help in this particular situation. The pipe is about knee level when my feet are down.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If your bike is still new,the heat will cool down some after the first oil change.
Get rid of the stock mufflers and replace with some aftermarket ones.
Buy some real riding boots that have a little bit thicker soles

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll look at her stuff, but the heat shield will not help in this particular situation. The pipe is about knee level when my feet are down.
OK, I see the problem now.... I used to have a similar problem and started only putting my left leg down at stop signs and red lights.

I kept my right leg on the peg, but when I stopped to park, I rolled the bike to the right at an angle as I put my right foot down on the ground at a wider angle, then quickly engaging the kickstand and rocking back to the left as I raised my right.

As everyone else has told you, the heat will dissipate as the bike breaks in, and putting some non-cat mufflers on will cool things WAY down.

By the time you get back off your bucket list trip you will probably not even notice the excessive heat your feeling now.
Disclaimer: Pay-a-ttention and don't stick your leg on the hot pipes.... LOL! :p:):)
Capt. Obvious gold star information....

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,818 Posts
Hello Ladies,

I am 5'4" with long torso and short legs. I have the Indian Scout and can reach the ground perfectly fine. HOWEVER, I have to stick my right leg out in order to not burn myself on the stock pipe. I want to get one that I don't have to worry about. Anybody have this same experience and found an exhaust configuration that works so they don't have to straddle the bike in any special way? Thanks!

P.S. I had heat tape applied to the pipes and it didn't really make a difference.
This is what JayFL459 did to get the heat down lower. Bassani 2:1's. He'll have to chime in but I suspect it required some kind of air/fuel controller or tuner.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
This is what JayFL459 did to get the heat down lower. Bassani 2:1's. He'll have to chime in but I suspect it required some kind of air/fuel controller or tuner.

This Option Tuned by a PVCX is the Cat's Meow .. Not cheap but well worth it .. Only reason didn't keep the Scout over the Dyna is got a far better Trade Value on the Scout towards my Chieftain Dark Horse and needed the Trade Money to make it happen .. That and the Fact spent a lot of time and effort on the Dyna to get it right and that also included a 2:1 Exhaust for power and a bit of heat as well like the stock exhaust was ..

ProPipe.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts