Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meanwhile... I'm waiting on some new bushings to arrive from Progressive Suspension... so rather then twiddle my thumbs, whats the best method/product to remove the bluing on the exhaust header pipe??

I know, most people say... "Learn to love the blue!" well, I don't. And I don't mind working to get rid of it, both on the surface, and in the engine tune. Most products I've seen/read about, either don't work, require an inordinate amount of polishing, ends up coming right back (unless the original rich/lean condition(s) is resolved.

Fine... is mechanical abrasion the only answer? What about Wizards "Out of the Blue"? does this stuff work, or is it a placebo too?

-Michael

·
Registered
267 Posts
Meanwhile... I'm waiting on some new bushings to arrive from Progressive Suspension... so rather then twiddle my thumbs, whats the best method/product to remove the bluing on the exhaust header pipe??

I know, most people say... "Learn to love the blue!" well, I don't. And I don't mind working to get rid of it, both on the surface, and in the engine tune. Most products I've seen/read about, either don't work, require an inordinate amount of polishing, ends up coming right back (unless the original rich/lean condition(s) is resolved.

Fine... is mechanical abrasion the only answer? What about Wizards "Out of the Blue"? does this stuff work, or is it a placebo too?

-Michael
I've used a product called Blue-Job with some success.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've tried several products in many years, nothing seams to work real good at taking off the bluing. The best I found was good ole Happich Simichrome polish. You may want to look at getting a dyno check to find out if you need to change out jets as if there bluing easy, it may indicate your running too lean.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I'm going to have to do that. The previous owner took the baffle out - so until that was replaced, we really sh/couldn't dyno it for jetting purposes until the baffle was replaced. So.. now that that has happened... I'm going to take it up to bike week do just that!

I bought some Wizards 'Out of the Blue' to give it a try - Heck for all I know, Tarn-X might do a better job than Blue-Job did (or didn't.)
/\/\

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It'll come back. Only sure fire method is to cover it with a chrome heat shield or wrap it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It'll come back. Only sure fire method is to cover it with a chrome heat shield or wrap it.
I know it will come back... even if in perfect tune, its likely to return to some degree.

Rather then a wrap under the chrome shields, I was thinking of using Jet-Hot High-Performance Coatings. Their Extreme 1300 Polished finish is ~$165 (plus shipping) for the headers... which should prevent any further reoccurrence of the problem.

Of course they have to strip the chrome off first. But at least it will look much more like chrome (or brushed nickle, perhaps?) than black-n-blue.

Anybody try that approach?

-Michael

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Buy yourself some new double wall pipes ..... true duels look great on the Gilroy chiefs....:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I know it will come back... even if in perfect tune, its likely to return to some degree.

Rather then a wrap under the chrome shields, I was thinking of using Jet-Hot High-Performance Coatings. Their Extreme 1300 Polished finish is ~$165 (plus shipping) for the headers... which should prevent any further reoccurrence of the problem.

Of course they have to strip the chrome off first. But at least it will look much more like chrome (or brushed nickle, perhaps?) than black-n-blue.

Anybody try that approach?

-Michael
Wife tried that on her Honda a while back, Lasted about 3 months then started to turn.
We ended up getting her double walled exhaust pipes. Those solved the problem. Then we sold the bike and she bought a Scout. Wrapped the pipes. No problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found out that Wizards "Out of the Blue" has been discontinued. Sigh...

I have no direct experience - yet - with this stuff... but from what I've been told, "Out of the Blue" required the least amount of elbow grease... and that is good for the chrome. They said it does have a shelf-life (~4 years) and it is still available as a close-out from Wizards' website: <http://wizardsproducts.com/closeouts/>

if anyone else is interested... its currently going for $6 - or about 2/3rds off retail. Wizards said it worked well, but there wasn't much of a call for it, and it was otherwise too costly to manufacture. At any rate.. FYI -

Kind regards,
- Michael

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm pretty sure just about any polish like that will require some elbow grease on very small areas at a time. The Blue Job is a powder that you pick up with a damp cloth and rub into a paste on the chrome. I resorted to a mouse sander to hold the polishing cloth - you get a lot more rubs per second than hand rubbing. Fortunately my pipes were not deep blue and I was pretty impressed with the job, and I had a LOT of time to kill...
I decided to give the Out Of The Blue stuff a try - I have a shelf full of various cleaning & polishing products that have caught my eye over the years - I should cull some of them.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Buy yourself some new double wall pipes ..... true duels look great on the Gilroy chiefs....:cool::cool::cool:
Your click clacks bring back fond memories before the government decided they needed to protect us from ourselves. Lol. In the case of clicks probably a good idea.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Your click clacks bring back fond memories before the government decided they needed to protect us from ourselves. Lol. In the case of clicks probably a good idea.
Big brother knows best.....so they think.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts