Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to check the tightness of the exhaust header bolts on my 2018 111 Chieftain Limited. Not being mechanically minded, how do I do that? I know to most this is probably a stupid basic question but bear with me. I made an appointment at the dealer to have them checked but wanted to see if it’s simple enough and if I have the right tools maybe I can do it myself and save some money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
I want to check the tightness of the exhaust header bolts on my 2018 111 Chieftain Limited. Not being mechanically minded, how do I do that? I know to most this is probably a stupid basic question but bear with me. I made an appointment at the dealer to have them checked but wanted to see if it’s simple enough and if I have the right tools maybe I can do it myself and save some money.

It's pretty easy. There are vertical "slots" in the fins about 1/2 in. wide at the areas where the head pipes enter the engine. Inside of the slots there are two allen head bolts. Remove the allen head bolts, and pull the fin pieces off to expose the header bolts. I checked mine several months ago but do not remember what I used for wrenches. I do remember there was one or two of the header bolts that were a little tricky to get to though. All in all not a difficult to check. When I put the fin pieces back in place, I used a bit of Never Seize on the bolts... steel bolts in aluminum holes ;)

·
Rider
1,030 Posts

Be EXTREMELY careful, the torque specs for exhaust flange bolts is 15 foot pounds, it's easy to get them too tight and break the studs!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, sounds like I need to purchase a torque wrench to do this right. Anyone know what the torque should be on Allen heads for the fin covers?

·
Rider
1,030 Posts

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The fin covers can be very difficult to remove the first time, and it's not evident how they come out.

Once you've undone the screws, there are two locating pins you can't see. You have to pull the covers straight out to the side of the bike and those pins probably won't be happy about it.

The header bolts can be tricky to line up with a socket on a torque wrench. I need a universal joiner for some, an extension piece for others. The front cylinder is the more difficult for access. It's not a hard job, it's just finicky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts