Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for anyone that removed baffles or drilled out baffles on the 2014 Indian and also live in the philly area. Im thinking about doing this myself but wopuld like some feedback. What is better, drilling holes in baffle or just knocking them out? thanks
steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just knock out the freeze plugs. If you dont mind them staying inside the system, you can have it done in about 5 minutes. Take about a 30" pipe that will fit in the exhaust, give it some whacks with a hammer until the plugs pop loose...done. They are only tack welded on (very lightly) so dont beat it to death

·
Registered
130 Posts
These are what they look like. I used a 3 foot section of black gas pipe to tap out.
Remove exhaust pipes, lay them on blanket, slide gas pipe into exhaust end and tap the plug.
Rotate the exhaust some and retap the plug with the section of gas pipe. repeat untill plug breaks free. took me about a dozen taps.
plugs.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Drill.jpg I drilled out my friends baffles yesterday. The parts cost me $37 in total from Home Deport. I used a 1-1/4" Milwuakee Hole Bit. I also used a couple of 12" tool extenders which are sold in the same section. Frm the tip of your exhaust to the baffle is about 18" If you take a flashlight down the exhaust you will see a metal plug. It's not that thick (maybe 2-3mm). It took me 10 minutes to do one bike. The bit gets pretty dull after the first bike and the second took a little longer. I would recommend sharpening the teeth with a file before tackling another set of pipes.

When you start, give the drill some time to bite into the baffle. You will feel the bit give (That's the first part of the drill punching through) it took about a minute. Then apply firm pressure for the second stage where you actually bore out the baffle itself. That takes longer, about 4-5 minutes.

When I did the first pipe I felt the baffle give and pulled the drill out right away. That was a mistake as I left the circular baffle piece inside the exhuast. I eventually got it out but it was difficult to extract. For the other side when I punched through I let the drill stop and then withdrew the tool. The baffle was stuck right onto the part like it should have been (careful it's HOT). I used the same technique with the other bike and had no problems.

If you don't use a 1-1/4" I am sure any large size drill bit will work just fine. A friend of mine punched several holes in his and they sound the same. You will notice a difference in the sound of the pipes for certain. That tinny sound is gone and you get more of a rumble. It's noticable, but it isn't as dramatic as I expected. Also, your fuel economy will go down a few MPG. I have heard that it adds 5HP to your performance, but that seems like a lot to me.

PM me with questions. I am happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had one of the guys from my work (toyota) tap out the baffles, the one side took alot of hits before it came out. I started the bike and its alittle bit louder, not much louder then the way it was with the baffles in it. I prefer it to be louder then that, again its alittle bit louder, it will do for now until someopne comes out with a louder muffler system. One question, do you need to remap after removing baffles? seems to run fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I found with the plugs removed it sounds much better without being too loud.

But will still make a good amount of noise when you give it some gas!

So perfect for me

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Does baffle removal affect warranty?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts