Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I have my 2019 Chieftain with the 111 and love every bit of it with the exception of one thing - it's sound. I would like the exhaust to sound better but don't necessarily want to upgrade the air intake or tuner. If that's the way I have to go, that's OK, but I was hoping there was a simpler solution. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that might actually be my question. I've been told the slip-ons would require the extra work as well. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, that might actually be my question. I've been told the slip-ons would require the extra work as well. Is that not the case?
Not on any bike I have ever owned. If you just do a slip on muffler and leave the header alone you should not need a tune. Could a tune help performance? Yes but it should run fine with the factory tune. Check with the muffler manufacturer you want to use and they will tell you if a tune will be required or not.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,582 Posts
Yep, generally as long as you don't change the intake to a lower restriction type the bike shouldn't need to be re-tuned.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yep, generally as long as you don't change the intake to a lower restriction type the bike shouldn't need to be re-tuned.
This is definitely the conventional wisdom. However, if you get the dealer installed Indian stage one pipes only, they will do a reflash.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Warhorse slipons with 2.5" baffles sound fantastic. No drone at highway speeds & barks when getting on the throttle.

Reactions: 125538

·
Bronze member
3,502 Posts
depending on the amount you want to spend.. you can get a nice sound (alibi not as loud as slip-ons) just by knocking the plugs out of your stock muffler... and a little research shows that the factory exhaust system is in fact an awesome system for this motor as long as you stay factory cams and intake...

·
Registered
724 Posts
The exhaust should be able to be easily taken off of the motorcycle. You'll have to remove the heat shield on both sides held on my some steel hose clamps. There is an exhaust clamp where the muffler slips in to the header pipes. And then the mufflers are mounted near the end of the rear fender. 4 bolts, 2 on each side to remove. You could take the bags off to maybe make it a little easier. I replaced my stage 1 slip ons with Tabs with Zombies. I didn't take the bags off, and it was a pretty straight forward and easy swap for me.

Reactions: sandspur_

·
Registered
724 Posts
The zombies are quite loud. I made the mistake of starting it with the garage door closed hahaha. Cold starts are usually pretty loud. I think I won't do that again. I always ride with ear plugs, but was just doing a quick check after I had the tender on it since I ran the battery out.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,019 Posts
Just changing the mufflers will be fine. If you also change the intake, you will need more fuel. A fuel tuner or Power Commander and tune are ways to do this. For better sound only, just get some slip on pipes. If you search on YouTube, you can find a number of different pipes to listen to. It is not the same as hearing in person, but good enough to make a choice. I sell these pipes and use them on my bike. So here is your first sample.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts