Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past 10 years our Harley owners group ran an exchange program with HOG Fargo: It worked like this we would send a couple of members ( usually husband and wife ) to Fargo in July of each year they would be hosted by HOG Fargo and taken on their Bear Tooth Run ; There accommodation for about 4 days was paid by HOG Fargo and the dealer would lend them a bike free of charge. The cost of getting from NZ to the states was met by the winning member. After the Bear Tooth the couple would generally hook up with other Fargo HOG memmbers and go on tour at their own cost.

In February of each year Fargo HOG would send two people to NZ and we would do the same, and the Harley Dealer would lend them a bike for the duration of their NZ hoilday. My wife and I visited the States in 2009 and again in 2013 and enjoyed our american freinds hosiptality through this arrangement.
We have also had the privelege of hosting two sets of visitors from Fargo at our house last year and again in Febrruary this year. We always take part in making sure we spend time with all visitors showing them our fantastic country.Its a great way get to see the real US and Real NZ.

The dealer support at both ends was fantastic with both dealer allowing the visitors to have use of a bike with out cost, for a duration of up to about 4 weeks This was inspite of 5 machines being written off by American riders in NZ! Interestly there were no accidents or damage done to loan bikes by NZers riding in the States. ( anyway thats what insurance is for)
Sadly the program came to an end after the last visitors came to NZ in 2015 as the fargo Dealer changed ownership and the new people did not want to continue.

I am keen to hear from any one who is interested in doing a similar program with Indian either as a club or individual. Obviously there will be many questions but message me on my page book page Facebook or email ross @dwre.co.nz or post here

What we found is that because of our mutual love of motorcycles we were already freinds before the trip began and now we have many more friends that we call family in the states because of the experience.

Photos of our 2013 trip to Alaska with Fargo Friends and of Fargo Visitors Randy and Mary on the way to Queenstown South Island New Zealand

Attachments

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I think the most difficult item to solve on this idea is...where. What area of the US would be best? So many come to mind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt service pay was even 5 bucks an hour back then. E-4 pay in 1972...346.80,a month.
It would only cost your air fares and a bit of accommodation. Besides check out your exchange rate between US and NZ $ When we went to US in 2010 our $ was only buying 50cents US

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
At one time I would of jumped at the chance to visit you guys (back when the world was more real) but in today's suck ass PC world I wouldn't even try to board the plane.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotta love you Americans; This is the safest country in the world and we don't even carry guns . The PC brigade have tried to get a foot hold her but they haven't succeeded yet. Plus we have some amazing roads to ride that mean you get a real chance to test the handling of the Indian.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
I went to NZ back in the late 70's for one week and really liked it. Only complaint I heard there was the taxes and lack of good Scottish food..............like haggis...........and surprisingly saw a few outlaw bikers there. Peaceful as it gets.

Do the outlaw clubs get guns somehow? The Cobras maintained a headquarters in Ponsonby and the Red Devils Motorcycle Club has a presence in Mt Eden and Nelson I see .................and you got the Angels of course.

Have two former military friends in NZ that I worked with in Africa. . I probably should go over there sometime. This thread got me thinking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to NZ back in the late 70's for one week and really liked it. Only complaint I heard there was the taxes and lack of good Scottish food..............like haggis...........and surprisingly saw a few outlaw bikers there. Peaceful as it gets.

Do the outlaw clubs get guns somehow? The Cobras maintained a headquarters in Ponsonby and the Red Devils Motorcycle Club has a presence in Mt Eden and Nelson I see .................and you got the Angels of course.

Have two former military friends in NZ that I worked with in Africa. . I probably should go over there sometime. This thread got me thinking.
Good well if you need help organising or we probably could find you a bike just get n and do it. Yes we have a share of fuckwits here to but overall its pretty damn good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts