Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Well the back story on this is that for a major aftermarket producer to make a specific to one application, the TS111, a product means there is both significant numbers of existing machines and anticipated future production for it to be worth their while.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I truly believe that Indian Motorcycles are here for ever. Their products are great and will only get better. They may never be as big as Harley, but that doesn't matter. I know that there are a lot of HD riders who will be Indian riders soon. And some of them are on this forum. ;)

Reactions: Ratfish

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I truly believe that Indian Motorcycles are here for ever. Their products are great and will only get better. They may never be as big as Harley, but that doesn't matter. I know that there are a lot of HD riders who will be Indian riders soon. And some of them are on this forum. ;)

Did you by chance have breakfast with one of them this morning?

·
Registered
94 Posts
agree have a stunning road king classic , won a few trophies , resting in the tee pee now i have purchased a 2015 black cheiftain ,. ! history books where right, many a white man surrounded the indain !

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,942 Posts
Stupid question...this filter doesn't require motor being flashed?....
No, that is a far from stupid question. A better question is "Does the K & N filter take the place of a stage 1 filter?" My guess is it would be pretty close. The only way to be sure would be a dyno check between a K&N filter and a Stage 1 assy, both with the Stage 1 flash and see how they compare. If they match up this could be the cheapest mod yet for the stage 1 air cleaner, (if you don't mind the looks of the factory bed pan assy). Dean

·
Founding member
1,507 Posts
If it is the exact same size as the original but lets more air in wouldnt that mean it is more porous ? If more porous would it let more dirt through? Just asking the experts.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,409 Posts
If it is the exact same size as the original but lets more air in wouldnt that mean it is more porous ? If more porous would it let more dirt through? Just asking the experts.
And would that potentially create a warranty issue?

·
3,942 Posts
Not necessarily. The cotton media that is oil treated on the K&N is very good at catching dirt. Part of the reason is the oil treatment. It attracts and hold dirt very well where as a stock air filter completely relies on the media to trap particles. K&N has been around a long time and I have never seen a warranty issue denied from using them except for one particular issue. If the K&N is over treated with oil and that oil works it way down the intake neck it can effect MAF sensors on some fuel injected cars. Don't see that being an issue on the Indian. Dean

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
As a bed pan fan this is welcome news. I just ordered one. I think all this Cali EPA crap is just ridiculous and adds a lot of problems to engineering a clean air flow and exhaust. If the had a clue they would see all the threads on here about mods to increase performance. I wonder if anyone has done emissions testing after all the mods some do. I bet they surpass the standards EPA has forced on us. Any thoughts? and @ Whizzbang K.C. , please don't take this as a hijack. Just worth a discussion
Pat

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
And would that potentially create a warranty issue?
Indian sells a stage one high flow air cleaner that let's more air and minute particles in, no warranty problems. Geese, you guys worry about everything killing your warranty.

My Indian Dealership just installed a Power Commander V last week and mapped it for me, didn't affect the warranty, it really makes the Indian Stage One Big Sucker AC suck air when getting on the throttle. Especially after he also installed the Stage Two Performance Cams, too.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

Reactions: .3578

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
This new filter should let it breathe a little more easily but that whole bedpan assembly is still restrictive and just the heat alone from the engine on those plastic back plates is unreal. But at any rate, this was long overdue and its priced not bad considering it can be used again and again. I would think no flash is required as it still is far from a good aftermarket or even the Indian Big Sucker in terms of air flow and restrictions. But to those who want the stock look with more flow? Yes........get it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Been waiting for a K&N for the Vintage, have had K&N on all my vehicles for years including my bikes. Ordered one this evening.

Rawhide

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
I'm speculating the K&N isnt a replacement for a hi flow AC. The restrictiveness of the stock setup appears to lie within the shrouding behild the bedpan. If the bedpan and shroud only allows X amount of air in, then the K&N will not make much, if any difference.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
I am currently working on a bed pan mod that will allow more air, yet keep the bedpan design. It would just be an option for those that want to keep the bed pan, yet get in more air. I'm waiting for a few bedpans to arrive in the mail, then off to the machine shop for various mods. I will keep all interested - informed and share designs/mods as they develop. Last step will be dyno and post results. I think the K&N will be the ideal filter element for this test. Be advised, this attempt in no way will equal all the R&D conducted by @enzo5000 and others and their results. Props to him and others. I just expect a mild improvement over OEM performance and cheap enough for all the DIY's out there who are not inclined to spend the bucks involved with expensive changes to our scooters

·
3,942 Posts
I think some of you are overplaying some of the restrictiveness of the stock assy. The duct to allow air in for the stock system is not that small and it is ducting cool fresh air into the filter. In my opinion the biggest restriction of the stock assy is the filter itself. IF you think the stock set up is that restricted then take off the bed pan cover and go for a ride. Now the filter is completely open to flow whatever it can. I don't think you will see any change in performance. Dean

1 - 20 of 40 Posts