Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else hear from their dealer that Ethanol free gas is preferred for your Indian. Hattiesburg Cycles told me to always try to run ethanol free. I do anyway at home because I know where the stations are. On the road, it's a bit different.
Until now.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
The Pure Gas website has an iphone/Android app available for free. Since I am overseas right now, I can't use it or judge it now. Has anyone else used this and if so, is it any good?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank you nice to have the info.

·
Registered
299 Posts
the first 1500 miles on my chieftain was on pure gas. I recently have run 2 tanks of ethanol gas in it and have noticed slightly less power and lower fuel economy. She's close to empty again and will be getting pure gas as often as I can find it, as the closest station is 25 miles away, but it is on my way back and forth to Kansas City. I downloaded the app and found a few more gas stations with pure gas that I wasn't aware of.

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
I have used this app for a few years but stations are few and a lot of them only have 87 octane that is Ethanol free. The pure gas made a bigger difference in my previous bike(09RK) than it does in my Vintage. According to the owners manual our bikes are rated for E15 while most others still specify E10 or less so overall it shouldn't do any harm other than slightly reduced performance and mileage.

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
"Danger! Danger! Will Robinson," our bikes cannot use E15 there is a warning about that on page 128 in the owners manual!!! My God the motor runs hot enough now without harboring Chernobyl.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I use a pure gas website, not sure if it the same one you posted.
I also use pure gas when I'm around town here.

There are huge gaps in pure gas availability though when I'm out traveling.

I don't panic over it, but I I have a choice, it will be pure gas...even though it is always more expensive.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Did anyone else hear from their dealer that Ethanol free gas is preferred for your Indian. Hattiesburg Cycles told me to always try to run ethanol free. I do anyway at home because I know where the stations are. On the road, it's a bit different.
Until now.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
The Pure Gas website has an iphone/Android app available for free. Since I am overseas right now, I can't use it or judge it now. Has anyone else used this and if so, is it any good?
I have used this app., but like Wrench said a lot of the stations don't have 91 or 93 octane, only 87. For the situations where I can't get Ethanol free I always carry a small bottle (for day trips) of Lucas Oil's Safeguard- Ethanol Fuel Conditioner. A 16oz bottle treats up to 80 gallons.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Living in a big city means ethanol free gas is about 40 miles from home. My buddy puts Ethanal remover in his gas take of his 68 Chevelle SS396 I am restoring a 64 Impala SS convertible and plan on doing the same. I get gas out of town whenever possible.

·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can an ethanol removal additive live up to its name?
Can Fuel Additives Remove Ethanol?
The short answer is no. Any fuel additive that claims to actually remove ethanol from blended gasoline is something you'd want to stay away from, because who knows what other overtly false claims they're making. There's no fuel additive that could do that, nor should any imply that they do.

What a (good) fuel additive should do is provide active ingredients that fight against the negative effects that ethanol causes in the fuel or in the engine.

Since ethanol's downsides have to do with poor mileage, corrosion, solvency and water absorption, a reputable ethanol fuel treatment will talk about the things it can do to help blunt or solve those problems. It would never claim to or imply that it could actually remove ethanol from gasoline it's already blended into.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Does anybody know which is better for the bike and why; 87 octane pure gas vs 91 or 93 octane E10? Most of the pure gas stations in my area are 87 only. Would it be better to add an octane booster to the pure gas or an ethanol fuel conditioner to the E10?

·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anybody know which is better for the bike and why; 87 octane pure gas vs 91 or 93 octane E10? Most of the pure gas stations in my area are 87 only. Would it be better to add an octane booster to the pure gas or an ethanol fuel conditioner to the E10?
That's a good question...
I know that running a fuel without enough octane can cause pinging (pre ignition) which will destroy pistons.
An ethanol conditioner? Don't know if or how it would work. From my understanding, the biggest problem with alcohol as a fuel is corrosion on metal parts and drying out of rubber parts. Will a conditioner prevent that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Getting tougher, but if Shell V-Power is recommended by Bmw and a host of others, that pretty much says it all. I've got a BMW 335i that has had a steady diet of it for 5 years, no worries.... Seems like the offbeat stations are the ones that blend in the ethanol. I've seen several Citgo and a few Mobile that are ethanol free as well....FWIW, I believe the octane is more important, add the conditioner if you have to....

Cheers......... Tony

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I picked up the bike at the dealer this was a discussion we had. I asked the question about 91 octane non-ethanol vs 93 octane with Star Tron additive.....Response was...91 octane non-ethanol everytime you can get it. Luckily we have a bunch of stations locally that sell it. Yes it is more expensive but I have a lot of money invested in my Chieftain. 2500 miles and she has not had a drink of ethanol yet.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Polaris recommends a 91 octane for the TS 111. The bottom line on lower octane or ethanol is that either can harm your engine. The TS 111 automatically adjusts for lower octane gas to eliminate engine damaging knock but it does not have the capability to adjust for anything with ethanol automatically. So based on your question it seems safer to adjust octane up to 91 than to count on a fuel conditioner to remove the possible negatives associated with ethanol since if you forget with a tank or partial tank, the machine will adjust to the lower compression fuel. Hope this makes sense.

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
"Danger! Danger! Will Robinson," our bikes cannot use E15 there is a warning about that on page 128 in the owners manual!!! My God the motor runs hot enough now without harboring Chernobyl.
Page 128 states do not use E85 which is for flex fuel vehicles or methonal based fuel.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
My 2 cents worth is E10 ethanol will not destroy your motor. but over time it turns to glue. I use Sea Foam whenever storing my bikes,Lawnmower,Cars without trouble. Used to rebuild my Shovelheads Keihin carb every spring. Living in the city been dealing with that crap awhile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts