Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
When Breto mentioned he got increased fuel range with his new tune I was curious as I couldn't recall getting as much out of a tank as he claimed.
So yesterday when we headed out, I set my trip meter back to 0 before we left the petrol station.

After filling up, my fuel gauge said I had 230kms (or 142 miles) before empty. Which i thought sounded like a lot.
We left and headed straight to the hills and for the next couple of hours rode through twisties on some of my favourite roads.
My low fuel light came on a little while after we stopped for lunch and when we filled up I took note of what the trip meter said - apparently I had covered only 176kms (or 109 miles) before I needed to stop and re-fill.

I seriously doubt that I would have gone another 60 kms with the low fuel light on but I suppose it COULD be possible (even though my fuel gauge said I only had 20kms before I would be stranded just before the low fuel light came on).

What has been everyone elses experience with the estimated range to empty vs actual range, esp when riding in the twisties as opposed to highway/freeway riding?
is getting 230kms or 140miles per tank even possible?
am I getting less fuel range than Breto because I'm doing different kinds of riding or sitting in a different gear?

keen to hear everyone elses experience.

Registered
I ride mostly through town and country lanes... I reckon I do 110 miles to a tank, but I am quite enthusiastic with the throttle. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I ride mostly through town and country lanes... I reckon I do 110 miles to a tank, but I am quite enthusiastic with the throttle. 馃槈
yeah yesterday was all twisties so i was definitely not being easy on the throttle, which is why I think i got similar fuel range to what you get.

Registered
When I had the standard tune I would be lucky to get 180 k out of the tank...my fuel light came on coming back from my normal loop and when I pulled in to the shed at home it would say I had 20 k left if that...since the new tunes and especially tune 2 the fuel range has increased amazingly. I鈥檓 not easy on my throttle either and many of the sections on my loop sit on the 130 to 140 range. Then after that up and down hill twisties...not really sure what鈥檚 going on...maybe I鈥檓 filling the bike better these days knowing more about the tank but I can鈥檛 be upset about the economy now...馃憤馃槑馃嚘馃嚭

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting - I also have an aftermarket tune, just from a different provider.
maybe I need to pay closer attention while filling up to make sure it's actually full.

Registered
Interesting - I also have an aftermarket tune, just from a different provider.
maybe I need to pay closer attention while filling up to make sure it's actually full.
The other thing I鈥檝e been doing apart from standing the bike up at the pump and trickle feeding it till I can鈥檛 get any more in it is run the trip meter and just match what k鈥檚 I鈥檝e done to what it says I have left on the fuel range and gauge...it will always say I have more when running after it鈥檚 off the side stand than what it says in the servo on the stand....馃憤馃槑馃嚘馃嚭

Registered
Stock tune and exhaust, I can go 110 miles before my fuel light even comes on. At that point, I can fit 2.8ish gallons back in the tank. So just about 40 MPG. At this point my fuel gauge says 150+ (highest I've seen it was 157) but I know theres not way in getting there. There are unfortunately no twisties in central Florida so this is mostly spirited commuting at 60 MPH. I would imagine if I dont accelerate so hard and push the low fuel light, I could get 130 miles out out of a tank.

Diamond member
That estimation is based on the best case scenario.
I've seen it change drastically numerically speaking depending on ride.
I've seen it go down multiple digits at once while underway.
I've also often seen it say 90 when I shut it down and have a break,, than 80 after restarting.

Registered
All depends on where the sender is in the tank and what angle your on...it will only be reasonably accurate when level I鈥檇 say...馃馃憤馃槑馃嚘馃嚭

Registered
Mine changes significantly throughout the ride, depending on how...spirited I'm riding. I wish they would just tell me how much is left (%, gallons, liters, I don't care). I see the needle, but it's sometimes hard to gauge what that's supposed to be, especially since I prefer keeping my eyes on the road. It's also pretty small. I use the display which has speed large and centered surrounded traditional looking tach.

Registered
I use the massive numbers because my bloody eyes are shit close up and the fuel gauge is on the right and easier to see...馃ゴ馃憤馃槑馃嚘馃嚭

Registered
I have only refueled my FTR-1200S once, the weather has been shite since I purchased the bike, only have 150 kM on the odometer.

It might have been due to a motor not yet run in, but I am disappointed with the fuel range. Is the range indicated on the gauge that until completely empty, or that until the low fuel indicator lights? It's not clear in the owners manual, but I suspect it's showing the range until the fuel light will illuminate.

Rider
After filling up it will say an estimated range as high as 164 miles, which then stays there while riding and then it drops way down, and then holds a the lower estimate for awhile. Ultimately, it projects an estimated range of 130-142 mpg. I have the OEM update tune which seems to be the same mpg. Average for me mostly as a commuter is 40-42 mpg.

Diamond member
I have only refueled my FTR-1200S once, the weather has been shite since I purchased the bike, only have 150 kM on the odometer.

It might have been due to a motor not yet run in, but I am disappointed with the fuel range. Is the range indicated on the gauge that until completely empty, or that until the low fuel indicator lights? It's not clear in the owners manual, but I suspect it's showing the range until the fuel light will illuminate.
Yes. The motor being fresh has very much to do with economy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
This all said,, let's not forget.
We could have no gauge at all and reserve switch.....
haha that's how my old bike works! same range too lol.

it's all good was just trying to work out why Breto gets 50kms more a tank than me lol

Diamond member

it's all good was just trying to work out why Breto gets 50kms more a tank than me lol
Embarrassingly,, This is one thing I don't yet know about my scoot. Lol!
The luxury of gauges keeps me from doing the math.. I hate math. (Yes I know it's easy math)
I should pay attention and see what I'm getting...
As we know, when we have only a reserve light, one knows the mileage exactly.. lest they be hoofing it on the ol "ankle express" LMAO.
Cheers!

Registered
Is the range indicated on the gauge that until completely empty, or that until the low fuel indicator lights?
The range displayed is until completely empty, at least on the screen with the circular speedometer with the fuel in the upper left. At around 20-25 miles, it will change to an orange "LOW" and then you'll be left guessing how much is actually left as it no longer displays a countdown.

Registered

I just fill it till it鈥檚 chockers...reset the trip...and monitor what I鈥檝e done against what it says I have left...it鈥檚 been on the up since I put the new Tune 1 in it and increased again with tune two...maybe the cat delete and the second tune go hand in hand with how smooth it is now...and it鈥檚 obviously helping the fuel economy...past that can鈥檛 really say Tash...馃憤馃槑馃嚘馃嚭

Registered
The range displayed is until completely empty, at least on the screen with the circular speedometer with the fuel in the upper left. At around 20-25 miles, it will change to an orange "LOW" and then you'll be left guessing how much is actually left as it no longer displays a countdown.
So you鈥檝e got 13 litres in the tank and 1.9 of that is reserve. So you should have 1.9 under the light...馃憤馃槑馃嚘馃嚭

1 - 20 of 63 Posts