Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m flying out tomorrow to pickup a 16 Chief Vintage. Then a week of riding back to MN with friends.

Drivers backrest is a must for me, so I purchased one and am bringing it out.

Can someone let me know what tools are required to remove the side covers? And other essential tools I should bring?

Thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
If it's like my Roadmaster, they just pop off.

To me, the basic tool kit is a set of sockets, a set of allen tip sockets, a rachet to drive them, a pair of needle nose, a pair of regular pliers, a combo screwdriver, and an adjustable wrench. The duct tape goes without saying.

·
Silver member
5,519 Posts
Not sure that I can be of much help, but....
I bought my '15 Vintage "pre-loved" a couple of years ago and it already had the Indian brand driver backrest installed. Assuming the '16 is +,- the same as the '15, he side covers should just pop right off. Then you'll need to take the seat off in order to mount the backrest bracket. My Vintage came with a basic (very basic) tool kit, consisting of 3 allen wrenches. The large allen in the kit fits the bolts for seat removal. In addition to the basic ***** tool kit, @HiDesert post above mentions tools you might wanna bring with you. I've found that some of the allens on my '15 are metric, and some are sae ('merican lol). I have a set of both. Also it would also be good to pick up a set of Torx heads. Sizes 25 & 27 seem to make up most of the Torx fasteners on my '15 but I have a complete set. Another thing you might wanna do or bring, is a new oil filter and 5.5 qts. of oil, unless the current oil change is recent. Best of luck on the ride home (y)

·
Rider
946 Posts
I’m flying out tomorrow to pickup a 16 Chief Vintage. Then a week of riding back to MN with friends.

Drivers backrest is a must for me, so I purchased one and am bringing it out.

Can someone let me know what tools are required to remove the side covers? And other essential tools I should bring?

Thanks!
If it's like my RM 6mm allen for the bolt at the rear of the seat, and I believe a 10mm socket or wrench for the bolts under the side covers. As for the backrest mount, someone else will have to chime in.

·
Founding Member
1,958 Posts
Might want to consider a tire plug kit and a mini compressor, as the most likely failure mode is a flat tire.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked it up in Oakland, CA. The transaction went great all things considered... I mean, what could go wrong, rolling into Oakland with $15k cash to do a purchase with a complete stranger!

From there, I went back to SFO to pickup the helmet I left on the plane (doh!) and then up the Pacific Coast highway about 90 miles. It was really sad - all those little towns on the coast looked post apocalyptic. The entire state is figuratively and literally burning to the ground at the moment.

Pointed east this morning and at a hotel in Nevada tonight. Tomorrow we push into Idaho/Utah!

Where are you picking up?

·
Silver member
5,519 Posts
Burning from wild fires or rioters? Serious question btw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts