Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, I think we were on the same train of thought! I've got about as far as I can go without contact Polaris or a dealer. I've been researching aftermarket switches that could fit that spot. Can you do me a huge favor and take a couple pictures of the plug when you get it? I tried to remove mine but I didn't have enough time and didn't want to break it.

I received the plug for the fog switch and it is just held in by friction. Looks like it will pop out pretty easily.

I also spent a few hours at the Indian dealership yesterday. I talked with the parts guy and the GM and neither knows anything about this fog button. I looked at all the different Indians in the showroom and they all have the same fog button, and it looks like it is the same size as the Challenger plug. The used bikes and the new bikes with fog lights, look to all use the same button.

I would not want the chrome bezel on my Darkhorse, and would change it, but I don't think this button is going to work on this bike. When I look at the parts diagrams of the different models with this button it shows the button with no electrical leads coming from it. The power button looks the same for those models, but in the Challenger diagrams it shows the power button with wires. I would like to see a schematic of the switch used on the Chieftains to see if they are indeed the same. Whatever button they put in there will have to have leads and a connector. I could probably find a way of using the button from a Chieftain to operate a relay and allow 12v to the lights, but the parts guy and GM warned me that the CAN bus system may not like that and start sending out error codes. I've always added whatever I wanted to my bikes using relays and switched power, but maybe not on this one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's great information. My second thought was to find an aftermarket switch that could fit the hole but it's pretty big. If that didn't work, using the plug you have pictured and finding a switch large enough to take the space of the center logo and drill/mill out what was needed. It would look like a bit of a double bump but might look ok. I found a couple good manufactures of switches that have a ring lit button that you can pick your color while being a black housing and button.

For the fog button you found, was it a momentary or latching style? I'm not too worried about the can bus, there are others out there and people have made harenesses for them. Once we find a good source for switched power, throwing a relay on should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For the fog button you found, was it a momentary or latching style? I'm not too worried about the can bus, there are others out there and people have made harenesses for them. Once we find a good source for switched power, throwing a relay on should be a piece of cake.
I did not touch the button so I don't know if it is on/off or momentary, but I will find out.

I was thinking about this last night, and I just can't see Indian designing a new fog button just for this bike, when every other year and model use what appears to be the same button. This CAN bus system seems to have been used for many years, and I don't see them changing it up for this machine. Not for something as simple as fog lights.

Normally, I would head out to a salvage yard and find a used button, but with the current social situation, I decided to go to my old standby...eBay. I don't necessarily purchase used items on eBay, but I find it a good source to look at parts I might be able to use to modify my bikes. I found two fog buttons and they look to be the same button. One is listed as coming off a 2014 Chief and the other from a 2017 Roadmaster. The buttons do have electrical leads with a small white connector that sure looks like it would fit that connector you discovered. There are four wires on the buttons, but I'm not sure they are the same colors as on the fog lamp schematic. I'm looking at a picture on a computer and I'm bit color blind, but I see four wires and I think they are black, white, red, and green. The button has the same mounting tabs on the side as the plug as well.

The pics on eBay are bad, and I took an up close pic of my screen which makes them even worse, but you can get the idea.

At this point I'm pretty confident this button will work on the Challenger. I think it's worth the $40 gamble to purchase this button and test it's functions. I see looking through the Indian parts diagrams there are two different buttons, with the newer ones referred to as Switch, Fog, Long. I can't imagine the button itself being Long, so I think they are referring to the length of the electrical leads. This makes sense to me because in the pics above I'm not sure that the wires are long enough to route to the connector you found.

I'm going to order a new switch from Indian and test it to see if it will work. Interestingly, the used eBay buttons are about the same price as a new button from Indian. I'll get the Long button and put a meter on it and see if I'm right. Even if it does not function correctly with the bike's wiring, I can still use it to power a relay. I think I would rather have a button that looks like Indian put it there, rather than something I modified. Come to think of it, I'd rather have a non-functioning button in that spot than a plug.:cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was thinking about this last night, and I just can't see Indian designing a new fog button just for this bike, when every other year and model use what appears to be the same button. This CAN bus system seems to have been used for many years, and I don't see them changing it up for this machine. Not for something as simple as fog lights.

The buttons do have electrical leads with a small white connector that sure looks like it would fit that connector you discovered. There are four wires on the buttons, but I'm not sure they are the same colors as on the fog lamp schematic. I'm looking at a picture on a computer and I'm bit color blind, but I see four wires and I think they are black, white, red, and green. The button has the same mounting tabs on the side as the plug as well.

At this point I'm pretty confident this button will work on the Challenger. I think it's worth the $40 gamble to purchase this button and test it's functions. I see looking through the Indian parts diagrams there are two different buttons, with the newer ones referred to as Switch, Fog, Long. I can't imagine the button itself being Long, so I think they are referring to the length of the electrical leads. This makes sense to me because in the pics above I'm not sure that the wires are long enough to route to the connector you found.

I'm going to order a new switch from Indian and test it to see if it will work. Interestingly, the used eBay buttons are about the same price as a new button from Indian. I'll get the Long button and put a meter on it and see if I'm right. Even if it does not function correctly with the bike's wiring, I can still use it to power a relay. I think I would rather have a button that looks like Indian put it there, rather than something I modified. Come to think of it, I'd rather have a non-functioning button in that spot than a plug.:cool:
Great find, I never even considered checking ebay for used buttons. I would hope the ones for the darkhorse models were all black so I'd start there. I fully agree with your thought process on this.

The colors on the plug do not have to match the schematic, it stops at the connector on the wiring harness end. We'd need a separate schematic for the button side.

Edit: I was just thinking about this some more... if you get the button working, it's most likely going to control the other plug on the harness. I haven't found that one yet...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great find, I never even considered checking ebay for used buttons. I would hope the ones for the darkhorse models were all black so I'd start there. I fully agree with your thought process on this.

The colors on the plug do not have to match the schematic, it stops at the connector on the wiring harness end. We'd need a separate schematic for the button side.

Edit: I was just thinking about this some more... if you get the button working, it's most likely going to control the other plug on the harness. I haven't found that one yet...
I think I have found what I was looking for. The newest Dark Horse model I found with a black fog button was a 2018 Chieftain Dark Horse (the 2019 Springfield is chrome and the 2019 Chieftain didn't show one). The part number is 4016999 and the description says Switch, Fog, Long, Black and the price is $45. I ordered it and will let you know if it checks out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's awesome, I can't wait to get this all figured out.

For the connection that the factory button lights up, my guess is that it's an MX150 connector keyed differently than the headlight. (also mx150) If you compare the two in the wiring diagram they are very similar.

Molex MX150 3 circuit connectors

It wouldn't be difficult to steal one or both of the connectors to wire the lights (or other accessories) in directly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I dug into my bike today and found the connector. It's kind of neat, they have it connected to part of the fairing like it's plugged in but when you disconnect it, it's just a blank.

It looks like Molex PN 334810302 and 330000002 are what is needed to connect. (There are multiple terminal types that can be used.) I'm working on installing a Denali Soundbomb Mini but the factory horn has a connector on the end so I'm going to find one of those styles as well before I place an order.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, Dark Green wires with red and brown tracers. I don't have a service manual yet, but I have been looking at parts diagrams, and I saw the fairing harness and saw the three connectors behind the boot and figured that one would be somewhere in the fairing. I recognized that connector from helping with a buddy's HD. I called him and asked if he had the male connector and he said he has something that should work and he will send me one tomorrow. I have a large collection of OEM connectors for my metric bikes, but nothing like the one there. I could cut the pins off and use what I already have, but I'm a stickler for keeping my electrical work as OEM looking as possible. He said they were Deutsch connectors, but it sure looks the same to me, except of course, since it is for his HDs, it is black. The link to the Molex site you posted showed 8 different connectors. Are they all the same except for color? They all appear the same to me.

How much did you have to remove to find that connector? I'm still trying to figure out how to get that left side dash off with the button plug. When I zoom in on the Indian parts diagram it goes away and says no picture available. From what I can see, it looks like I need to pull off the speaker grill to get one or two screws, and maybe something down in the lower area under the door. I'm hoping that connector is accessible just from removing that one piece. I ordered a service manual last week while I was at the dealer. I don't like having a ride without a service manual.

The Fog Button is close by. It is in a UPS facility about 30 miles away and has been sitting there since Saturday, so I expect to get it any time now. I am certain this button will check out and will work on this machine as it does on other models.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The link to the Molex site you posted showed 8 different connectors. Are they all the same except for color? They all appear the same to me.
The different colors have differerent keying options so the color matters. I dug through their documents and it looks like the other models have key holes plugged which we don't really want. You would want the plugged model if you only wanted 1 or 2 of the wires.

How much did you have to remove to find that connector? I'm still trying to figure out how to get that left side dash off with the button plug.
If you pull up one of the factory install manuals for the Indian handlebars, they cover the fairing removal. There were 9 screws in total that had to come out. I had it off and back on in less than 30 minutes which included all my messing around. For the plug, there is a small hole right beside the connectors that I was able to feel part of the way to the plug. My guess is you release the plug, then the wire will guide through that hole to the connector.

I got the parts for the connector ordered and they should be here Wed. The bottom of my previous post has the exact part numbers I ordered.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The different colors have differerent keying options so the color matters. I dug through their documents and it looks like the other models have key holes plugged which we don't really want. You would want the plugged model if you only wanted 1 or 2 of the wires.
I see now how they differ. The connectors I've used in the past just don't use the ones that aren't needed. I'm not sure what my buddy is sending so I will take your advise and order the part numbers you provided. My usual suppliers don't sell Molex, but I know where I can go to get what's needed.

[/QUOTE]
If you pull up one of the factory install manuals for the Indian handlebars, they cover the fairing removal. There were 9 screws in total that had to come out. I had it off and back on in less than 30 minutes which included all my messing around. For the plug, there is a small hole right beside the connectors that I was able to feel part of the way to the plug. My guess is you release the plug, then the wire will guide through that hole to the connector.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't think about the handlebars. I watched the KST video, and learned a lot, but not about removing the fairing. I will check that out. I checked with UPS and the Fog Button Black will be here today.

·
Rider
316 Posts
The prices on the specialty tools are way overpriced. Just like the bike accessories. I was thinking of getting the 5 tools to replace the fork oil. The bill was over $800.00.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I didn't think about the handlebars. I watched the KST video, and learned a lot, but not about removing the fairing. I will check that out. I checked with UPS and the Fog Button Black will be here today.
That's the document I used when I pulled mine apart, it was pretty easy once you know where all the screws are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unless you have already found a supplier go to digikey.com they have all the Molex connectors
Thank you for that. I have three suppliers I use all the time and not one had Molex. I found another that had Molex, but not that particular one. All good now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
The prices on the specialty tools are way overpriced. Just like the bike accessories. I was thinking of getting the 5 tools to replace the fork oil. The bill was over $800.00.
You wouldn't happen to have the 5 individual part numbers for those tools, would you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's the document I used when I pulled mine apart, it was pretty easy once you know where all the screws are.
Taking off the fairing doesn't look as bad as I envisioned. I'm guessing I'll figure out the side dash piece once the fairing is off and I can see what's holding it on. I think removing the fog plug is best done from the back side. I'll wait until I have all the pieces together before I remove anything.

The black fog button arrived today and is exactly what I expected. The whole button is black and it is a momentary switch. The wires are 12" long and it is the same size as the plug and has the same key at the top to align it in the hole., and the same mounting tabs on the sides. This is the switch intended for this spot. I like it much better than the chrome button or the plug.

I tested it out with my Ohm meter first, and then I tested it using a small 12v battery I keep around for this type of project. The pins are correct for our bike, even though the colors are not as shown on the wiring diagram.

P1 is Black and is the ground
P2 is White and it is the switched wire. No voltage except while momentary switch is pressed.
P3 is Red and brings power to the switch.
P4 is Green and brings power to the switch.

The switch lights up red (like the power button when it alarms) when red and black are connected to 12v, and 12v passes through to the green wire, so the red and green are tied together. I tried grounding the green wire to see if it had any effect, but the button stayed red. It took me a few minutes to mull this over, and I tried hooking up the green wire to my positive post and grounded the black wire and the button tuned green. I'm guessing again, but I think the red wire will bring switched power to the button and the button will glow red when fog lights are off. Then when the momentary button is pushed a signal goes to the VCM and power is sent to the lights and to the green wire turning the button green. This checks out with my meter and my battery. Red to Black, button is red. Green to Black, button is Green. Both Red and Green together to Black, button glows Green. It also makes sense with the labeling of the switch functions on the wiring diagram.

I saw in an earlier post that you might want to go with Motolights. I've been using them on my last two bikes, and there are probably better and cheaper lights out there, but I like the way they look, they are durable as hell, and I plan to put them on this ride as well. I had intended to mount them on the highway bars, but I really like the lights on my front forks, and since the fairing doesn't turn with the bike, I think I want my fog lamps to somewhat track with the front wheel. I contacted Tina at Motolights and she said they have a mount for the Challenger. It is a radial mount and for the black powder coat finish she replied;

"67504radial mount $525.25 complete set includes (2) light assemblies, caliper/radial mounting brackets, wiring harness, relay, fuse, separate switch & installation packet"

I tried to get her to sell me just the housings and mounts, but they don't break up the kits. I even offered to add the overpriced LEDs to my order, but no luck. She did however add;

"I am going to run a 20% discount this week great time to order!!!!"

That would bring it down to around $420 for the kit without bulbs, $510 with the HO LEDs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That switch looks great! I hope the ECU "remembers" our settings. Its a small thing but I would hate to have to turn on the lights every time I ride.

I've got Motolights on my VTX and I love what they did for the bike. I think its funny that Tina suggested the radial mount because we talked about doing a fender mount a couple weeks ago. I asked for lumen raitings on the HO LEDs but all I got was the lead tech's phone number. One of the halogens on my VTX was shot so I did some research and found a LED that fit. It's nice and has the narrow spot raiting they like to use but I wanted something brighter. I found another that's about 70% brighter and they're only about $9 ea and still a narrow spot.

I'm still a little on the fence between Clearwater and Motolight. I think the clear water will be much brighter but I think Motolight looks a lot better. I don't ride too much at night so the brightness wouldn't help as much in that case. They're both priced about the same as well.

Have you used the HO LEDs? I wanted to find a model/spec on them but couldn't.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Parts came in, they look like they'll fit nicely. The connector came with the black and orange parts connected so I removed them. Looks like it'll get a nice seal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought the fender was a good location for the mount and was the first thing I asked Tina about. I don't know if that area isn't solid enough for them, or they just simply used an existing radial design. The last time I purchased lights from them they didn't offer the HO lights, so I have no experience with them. At $70 each they must some light. One of my HD buds has a pair of LED lights he picked up from DK Customs that are really bright and I think the pair of lights costs less that single bulb. I've seen his light under different manufacturers names and they run about $50. If I was hiding my lights under the floorboards I would go with that light, but I don't want it on my front wheel. I have the 50w halogen bulbs from Motolight now. When I put them in I tried some LEDs, but they didn't throw the light the way halogen does. They were bright, they just didn't project very far, and I expect the newer LEDs no longer have that issue.

I've seen a lot of different mounts and I think Motolights is the cleanest, especially when it sits right out there in front of the bike. Unless I find something comparable, I will stick with Motolights. I'll keep looking around while I wait for Tina to offer that 20% discount, and I will see what other LED MR16 spots are available. I checked Superbrightleds and didn't see anything special.

If I can find a product that looks this good and is as bright I will buy it, but Ihaven't seen anything I like better yet. I would move this set onto the Challenger if they were flat black.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It looks like the fender mount would work on the Challenger but not on the bike pictured. The fender mount would move the light higher but further forward. I wish they had better pictures of the install. It's hard to tell how it would work with the Challenger from what I've seen. Tina sent me a picture of the flat and I think it will look nice. (I believe the mount pictured is the fender mount.)

The trick for the MR16 bulbs is the beam angle. They install something like 8° bulbs but the lowest I could find for LED are 10°. Here's the bulb I got for my VTX and I'm pretty happy with it. Soraa Vivid MR16 00925 - SM16-07-10D-940-03 - 7.5W - 4000K 10DEGREE I found one that is brighter but I can't find my link right now.

When I got my VTX, the Motolights didn't work. The previous owner tried to replace the bulb with a cheapie and it didn't work. Then he ended up having a power issue so the lights wouldn't work at all. He didn't have the wrench either so he ended up prying the cap off and siliconing it back on. I was ready to pull the lights off since I had a mess on my hands when I finally found out what brand they were. After that, I decided to keep them but had to fully re-wire everything. I was also able to get the proper wrench to get everything installed correctly. It ended up being a fun project but I learned a lot about the lights.

Here's a link to a picture a member on here posted of his Clearwater Darlas mounted on his highway bar. They make a fender mount as well. Driving Lights

101 - 120 of 124 Posts