Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
And feel free to message me with whatever project you are working on...if you feel like sharing that is
Yep, its no secret, I was just hoping to be farther along. I'm going to be adding some driving lights. I've got MotoLights on my VTX and I feel they really help me be more visible. I want to keep as factory of a look as possible so I want to utilize that blank button on the left side. (That the parts catalog lists as "PLUG-FOG BUTTON" ) I'm trying to see if something was already provisioned in the wiring or if I'm going to have to find a way to tap into some wires.

·
Rider
450 Posts
Yep, its no secret, I was just hoping to be farther along. I'm going to be adding some driving lights. I've got MotoLights on my VTX and I feel they really help me be more visible. I want to keep as factory of a look as possible so I want to utilize that blank button on the left side. (That the parts catalog lists as "PLUG-FOG BUTTON" ) I'm trying to see if something was already provisioned in the wiring or if I'm going to have to find a way to tap into some wires.
Gotcha. That would certainly make it a nice clean look

·
5 years +
92 Posts
Attached is a screen grab of the schematics for the fog lamp. I would guess that there would be a couple of labeled connectors in the fairing on the left side. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Attached is a screen grab of the schematics for the fog lamp. I would guess that there would be a couple of labeled connectors in the fairing on the left side. Hope this helps.
Thanks!

Lookie what I found behind the left door insert... I removed one of the covers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think 2 of the connectors are for the heated grips. I think the third is the flog light one listed in the schematic. Next step... find the corresponding button that goes with the connector.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Would any of you guys that have the service manual have a pic of where the gear indicator cable (p/n 4015665) plugs into? I can' get to the dealer to order the service manual till Tuesday.

·
Rider
450 Posts
Anyone have any luck with a PDF Service Manual yet? I searched Indians website for the part number for the manual mentioned, and nothing came up. I haven't had a chance to check with the dealership yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think 2 of the connectors are for the heated grips. I think the third is the flog light one listed in the schematic. Next step... find the corresponding button that goes with the connector.
I too looked behind the rubber boot and saw those connectors. You are correct that the other two plugs are for the heated grips. My dealer put the heated grips on and both those connectors are used. The wire colors I can see from your pic also match the schematic Hoseman posted. I'm not sure my big mitts are going to fit in that tiny space, but I'll try once my switch arrives.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I too looked behind the rubber boot and saw those connectors. You are correct that the other two plugs are for the heated grips. My dealer put the heated grips on and both those connectors are used. The wire colors I can see from your pic also match the schematic Hoseman posted. I'm not sure my big mitts are going to fit in that tiny space, but I'll try once my switch arrives.
Which switch are you referring to?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Interesting... was it only a few bucks? My guess is you're going to get the hole filler plug that comes on the bike. If you pull up the parts for something like a Roadmaster, the fog switch is like $30.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess that's why it is called Plug-Fog Button, it is just the darn plug and not the Fog Switch. Is there a real Fog Switch available for this bike?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting... was it only a few bucks? My guess is you're going to get the hole filler plug that comes on the bike. If you pull up the parts for something like a Roadmaster, the fog switch is like $30.
I see that you posted regarding this button elsewhere on this site and are way ahead of me in your search. I asked the dealer about this switch when I bought the bike and assumed Indian had made that plug for an already available button used on several models. I have other switches I can use for my lights, but I want to wait and see if Indian has something for that spot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I see that you posted regarding this button elsewhere on this site and are way ahead of me in your search. I asked the dealer about this switch when I bought the bike and assumed Indian had made that plug for an already available button used on several models. I have other switches I can use for my lights, but I want to wait and see if Indian has something for that spot.
Yep, I think we were on the same train of thought! I've got about as far as I can go without contact Polaris or a dealer. I've been researching aftermarket switches that could fit that spot. Can you do me a huge favor and take a couple pictures of the plug when you get it? I tried to remove mine but I didn't have enough time and didn't want to break it.

Even if we get the "proper" switch, we still need to understand the function. I have a feeling it's going to be computer controlled. I'm ok if it is and has an option to remember my last setting. I don't want to have to reach down and poke the button to have the light come on but I do want to have the ability to choose. If it kept it off till the motor was running like the headlight, I would be fine with that as well. There looks to be another connector that has a L & R output that would be controlled by that switch.

According to the wiring diagram, the plug labeled FOG_LAMPS gets its power from VCM3 and all but one of the connectors on the FOG_SWITCH go to VCM3 as well. The remaining one goes to POSITION LAMP. The output pin function is listed as VCM ACCESSORY POWER OUT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sure, I'll post a pic when it gets here. I tried reaching behind the plug and feeling what was holding it in, but I couldn't tell, and it didn't pop out easily when I pushed on it, so I left it alone for now.

I see the same thing with the schematic. It's not just a simple two wire switch. Since I can't see where P1 and P3 go, I'm going to assume they are the power source and ground for the switch. P2 looks to be output from the switch to pin 6 on the VCM3 connector, which then sends power out pins 13 & 15 to the lights. P4 shows going to an Aux Light Switch Indicator Light, but I have no idea where that would be since it is not one of the indicator lamps in the gauges.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts